Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The VERY new and improved Phoam Phraxionator

The benefit of the foam fractionator is in the continual removal process. At first the quantity of foam may be considerable. Thereafter, it is much reduced due to removal of the contaminant build-up in the water. The continual elimination of even small amounts of residues gives an improved constant environment.

Let me try to attach some kind of collecting bag to my surface/protein skimmer to see if it can continually remove foam.

Not to take anything away from the nice design of Ethan's. I'm having to modify my pond return from the filter in order to accommodate the diy foam fractionator, and it's not that easy. But I'm hoping I can make do with my protein skimmer and make it as effective. I'll post some pics later if I'm successful.

Quote Originally Posted by yerrag View Post
    Let me try to attach some kind of collecting bag to my surface/protein skimmer to see if it can continually remove foam.

Not to take anything away from the nice design of Ethan's. I'm having to modify my pond return from the filter in order to accommodate the diy foam fractionator, and it's not that easy. But I'm hoping I can make do with my protein skimmer and make it as effective. I'll post some pics later if I'm successful.

Let us know! ANyone else building one for this year??

I don't know if I had posted this before, but these photos show my skimmer acting as a foam fractionator, albeit in a limited way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The VERY new and improved Phoam Phraxionator-img_20150825_072410062.jpg   The VERY new and improved Phoam Phraxionator-img_20150825_072350368.jpg  

I don't know if I had posted this before, but these photos show my skimmer acting as a foam fractionator, albeit in a limited way.

I can't see how your skimmer is removing any foam.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I can't see how your skimmer is removing any foam.
    The foam is manually removed. The skimmer just collects the foam. The white stuff on top of the skimmer is the foam. A Y- sanitary fitting is used here. The slanted fork skims the water surface, and whatever foam is produced comes out of the other fork, which is upright or vertical.

BTW, disregard the floating ring. That doesn't do anything as far as skimming and fractionating is concerned. It is for my slider turtle to use as a rest. Just focus on the Y-fitting that skims and fractionated foam.

If you sit there every day, all day long, never sleeping, you might accomplish what a foam fractionator can accomplish more efficiently. Folks who use Ethan's design consider it an integral part of their system and would never be without it. Very simple.
    ricshaw likes this.

The foam is manually removed. The skimmer just collects the foam. The white stuff on top of the skimmer is the foam. A Y- sanitary fitting is used here. The slanted fork skims the water surface, and whatever foam is produced comes out of the other fork, which is upright or vertical.
    Two problems I see. It is not easy to remove the foam (as MikeM suggested) and any foam that is not removed immediately can reenter the water as DOCs (see post #51 above). What your skimmer proves is that your pond has enough DOCs and could benefit from a foam fractionator.

MCA
    What your skimmer proves is that your pond has enough DOCs and could benefit from a foam fractionator.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Two problems I see. It is not easy to remove the foam (as MikeM suggested) and any foam that is not removed immediately can reenter the water as DOCs (see post #51 above). What your skimmer proves is that your pond has enough DOCs and could benefit from a foam fractionator.
    That may very well be the case.

However, the foaming only occurs overnight, and does not happen all the time. And when I attach a plastic bag to collect the foam, I find it to be superfluous as it doesn't get used. So, that answers the need to stay up all day minding the foam. And perhaps, tells you that the DOC problem is not a continuously recurring problem but a continual occasional problem that the setup is equipped to handle.

I'm not saying my design is better than Ethan's. For that matter, using Ethan's design in my pond I might extract even more DOC's that I otherwise wouldn't have with my setup. But I'm not prepared to go to great lengths yet to apply Ethan's design on my pond. The main reason is that it requires additional power to get head. And aesthetics matter too, as I haven't figured out where to put his foam fractionator where it doesn't look industrial or laboratory-like. For someone like me, the setup I have offers less for less, if you get my drift.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast