Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: koi food?

Tosai

koi food?

my friend told me that non bleached bread with honey is good for koi also garlic too is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by saycoo View Post
    my friend told me that non bleached bread with honey is good for koi also garlic too is this true?
    How much did he consider good?

I know people who give their Koi bread as a cheap supplement filler food.
    But not for the Koi main diet.

I would not consider bread a quality KOI food.

Koi like food that is sweet and they like garlic. So, with those added they will eat lots of things. That does not mean it has any nutritional value.

I grew up fishing carp derbies. Obviosly a slight difference, but they will eat anything. It would seem the nastier the better. Some people would use formed grits, corn bread, etc. My best was a mix of garlic, cheese wiz, corn, and corn bread that was made into a patty. They loved it because it was distinct, stuck out like a sore thumb compared to all other foods around them. That being said i would not feed that to a starving koi.

Processed Human food should be for humans, you should take the time to find a food designed for koi that they will enjoy and be good for them. You can reference another post that is acitve now where people mention thier food choices. Today i mixed three brands of food and some krill and my koi went nuts. Everything i gave them was designed for them and will help them grow and develop. Others mention fruit if you want to add more options. Breads, corn, etc are nothing more than empty calories with no real benifit to your koi.

Garlic can be found in many fish foods. Besides being and an attractant, it is an antioxidant that helps keep the fats in the food from going rancid.

I believe the benefits of garlic are not well researched because anyone can grow it in their back yard, making it hard for any company to create proprietary intellectual property around it.

That being said there is some information to suggest that garlic has antibacterial and possibly anti-tumor effects for fish.

Jim, I think you may get a few raised eyebrows from dieticians and diabetes educators about the use of commercially prepared foods for humans. But I think we all understand "your drift".

I think Matt has pretty much covered the value of garlic.

Mike, It wasn't too long ago that bee propolis was all the rage in koi health circles for healing and honey has some other values in addition to just being sweet. My favorite paste mix receipe uses it as a component. (cooked crawfish tails as well )

I can see no reason why our thread starter couldn't use what's suggested as an occassional treat. as previously suggested it would have no place as a regular diet.

When it comes to treats, I think I'd be focused more on things that provided elements available from FRESH/LIVE fruits and vegetables as a suppliment to a commercially prepared koi diet.

Because we call the shots for the health of our koi, it really is an important responsibility that rests firmly on our shoulders.
    Dick Benbow

I've never followed the thought that feeding my Koi (Watermelon , Shrimp , Bee Honey , Etc.) as being any or much benefit to my Koi. How will my Koi benefit from getting any of these items in their systems once or twice a week? They won't.

With that being said, I load up my Paste Food with many of the above things but they get it a lot more then once a week.

Throwing in a Watermelon , Etc. is more for us then them.

Sansai
    Yesterday my koi had a blend of HiSilk21, Kenzen, and Tomogai Wheat Germ. In between feedings they had freshly picked spinach, tangerine, and grapefruit. Today they will get their pellet blend and most likely peaches and watermelon as snacks...perhaps steamed zuchinni if any are ready. Maybe I should open up a health spa for koi (or maybe koi owners)?

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Jim, I think you may get a few raised eyebrows from dieticians and diabetes educators about the use of commercially prepared foods for humans. But I think we all understand "your drift".
    Yeah, I am talking the poor food. Not mocking the fruits and veggies. I think the last thing most of us want to see though is our kids at the pond feeding the koi some Cheeze Its..lol

Smile

Farmer Steve you sure do give your koi a variety of fruits and veggies. The only thing besides their pellet food is we feed them the occasional orange but I have heard they like lettuce too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast