Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Water

Green Water

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!! my pond is a lovely shade of pea soup and I cannot afford a UV unit . How do I get rid of it without using harmful chemicals??? 500 gal liner thats a bit overcrowed. Yard is on a hill making bigger pond out of the question... The fish are very healthy and happy though I only see the babies at feeding time. any suggestions would be apprieciated... It is also in the shade most of the day but it is getting STINKIN hot here and I probably overfeed coz I am a sucker for begging fish.....

Things that pea soup love
    sunlight
    overcrowding
    lots of fish food
    hot and shallow ponds
    low vol water changes
    poor filters

gerrn water

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    Things that pea soup love
    sunlight
    overcrowding
    lots of fish food
    hot and shallow ponds
    low vol water changes
    poor filters
    BINGO... about the only thing I DONT have is too much sunlight.. as for filters I use 2 submerseable 1 with 950gph pump and 1 with500gph pump so there is plenty of turnaround thru filters every hour... I guess my 20 in butterfly who eats like a horse dosent help any....her name is Hoover coz she is swimming vacuum cleaner also clean filters every day maybe I should put a couple more fish in 160 gal pond ... that 1 is clear for some reason fish arent eating duckweed in that pond.. only has 3 fish in it...lots of plant cover...

Example. Both ponds get exactly, well pretty close the same water turn over. One is in full sun...one is shaded 60%. With the heat we are having plus thunderstorm rain every day the pea soup is in full gear.
    But the pond in the shade has 5% the growth of algae compared to the full sun pond.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Green Water-pond-ii-007.jpg  

Nisai
    Sounds like your pond is just a little bit crowded. I would move a few of them out, and also put a plant or two in the green pond to suck up the phosphates. Algae can't grow without nutrients! The thing is though, overfeeding just fuels the algae to grow more.

Also, you said you clean the filters every day.. how does the bacteria form a stable colony?

You have a decent turn ratio with the two pumps, but what are your filters looking like? How often are they being cleaned?

Bottom line is you are going to have to change out some water, clean the filters good and then do this as a rinse and repeat until it clears up some if you want to avoid chemicals. In the mean time save for a UV filter, a lot of places are already putting them on sale with summer drawing to an end.

If you don;t mind asking, what type of budget are you looking at to resolve this? If its low, you could look into replacing one of your pumps with a uv/pump combo. The box stores carry them. They are not high quality, but they work and will give you a bit of the UV you need.

The submersible filters sold for pond use are minimally workable in a watergarden with a few goldfish, but do not hold up for keeping koi. 500 gallons is not much water for keeping koi. Reduce the population and keep only about 3 small koi. Replace koi as they grow. Otherwise, in due course Nature will handle the situation in her cruel fashion.

green water

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The submersible filters sold for pond use are minimally workable in a watergarden with a few goldfish, but do not hold up for keeping koi. 500 gallons is not much water for keeping koi. Reduce the population and keep only about 3 small koi. Replace koi as they grow. Otherwise, in due course Nature will handle the situation in her cruel fashion.
    3 small fish??? not gonna happen.....there is no way im gonna get rid of my 20 in. cow...had her for 10 years other big fish are stayin too will put a couple more in 160 gal pond.will most likley get rid of asagi x shusui fry when they are ready to go outside....pond has been running for 4 years right thru the winter I clean filter pads daily. there are water lillies and floating hearts along with some freshwater clams and apple snails... I pump about 2-3 in. out everyother day to water veggies.

Edith, your reply shows how perceptions differ and how you have adjusted your practices to the situation. I think of koi in the 20-inch and below range as being small. Daily filter cleaning shows a lot of dedication, which most folks do not have. Back when I used submersible filters, it got to the point that it was essential to clean them at least twice per week. I was ready to give up until I found a different filter. That was in the early '80s, before all the ready-made filter products were available. And, if your pond has the tapered sides typical of liner ponds, you are probably doing close to a 10-15% water change 3 or 4 times per week. That makes a big difference. Again, few folks are so dedicated in the absence of auto systems to make the work easy for them. I'm kind of crazy when it comes to the time I spend on koikeeping, but I know that if I had to clean filters and do water changes so frequently, it just wouldn't happen. So, kudos for your effort.

Still, the fish do grow. Even with all the work you do, the pond ends up 'on the edge' where any bump in the road causes it to be unable to support so much life. So, keep watching over your 'little' ones ( ) and be prepared to take action before a crisis arrives.

Good luck.

I agree with Mike, your dedication is there, but daily cleanings get out of hand. I highly suggest you start saving for a larger/better filter. I use a pressure filter and only backwash about 20 gallons a week just for liquid fertalizer for my young or flowering trees. Despite the minimum backwash, the water is clear and water is testing great. Mine also has a built in UV filter. It is apparent that you love your fish and the idea of getting rid of any is not an option. You need to look for a better solution as one day of you being sick, on vacation, or a day without power, and you could have the entire pond die out on you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast