Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about this Showa

Fry

What about this Showa

Is it worth 1200 US Dollar? It`s nisai arround 40cm. You think it can get better or at least keep the look it has right now, im worried it might lose it`s beni need some advice since im not an expert my self and not want to waste my money

(Shinoda)

Kind Regards

Daniel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What about this Showa-koi9262stor.jpg  

I don't see anything that says to me that there is something with the beni that indicates it will go away. ( high PH in a person's pond is a great encourager)

There's quite a bit of black coming and i think that will help with the koi's presence.

It looks very much like "boy" to me.

As to the value of the Koi, it's relative to the owner's position in life. If it doesn't turn out the way you want will it make you feel you lost money. ( as opposed to paying for an education) So that one's your call.

good luck with your decisions.
    Dick Benbow

Fry

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    I don't see anything that says to me that there is something with the beni that indicates it will go away. ( high PH in a person's pond is a great encourager)

There's quite a bit of black coming and i think that will help with the koi's presence.

It looks very much like "boy" to me.

As to the value of the Koi, it's relative to the owner's position in life. If it doesn't turn out the way you want will it make you feel you lost money. ( as opposed to paying for an education) So that one's your call.

good luck with your decisions.
    Yes, it is for sale as a Male so i guess that`s right. The head has a little bit to much red for me but beside that it looks ok. If the beni not gets lighter because i think it looks a litte bit thin except on the head. And then i wondering about if it might get better body since it`s a male.. And finally if it`s really worth that amount of money.

Fry
    Im very thankful for more opinion...

This is a nice looking male, particularly for a GinRin Showa. The white ground comes across as quite clean in the photo. If that is accurate, he ranks above most males.

However, at this time of year a 40cm nisai is typically not for sale unless left over from last Spring. I would guess that he came out of the mud as nisai last Fall, and has been in inventory since then.... at the farm or in the dealer's holding ponds. If my guess is correct, that means this is actually a sansai that missed out on his third growing season. Inventory fish are not fed heavily. They get the minimum amount of food to maintain them in saleable condition. This can have the effect of cleansing the fatty layers of the skin such that the shiroji becomes very white and clear. The crispness of the whites is often lost when inventory fish are placed on a normal feeding regimen.

I may be completely wrong in my guess, but unless you know otherwise for sure, add it as a risk factor in considering whether to purchase.

Every koi is unique, so any price is a matter of opinion. It is a question of the koikeeper's goals. I do not acquire male koi, so for me no price would be low enough for me to want to buy this one. But, I do believe many koikeepers would be happiest with all-male ponds since most hobbyists do not have ponds large enough for growing females to full size. For a person with an all-male pond, this koi may be a step above other available males and thus worth more. So, I'm not going to give you a 'yes the price is fair' or 'no that's unfairly priced' answer. Tell us your goals and we can better advise on whether this fish has the potential to meet them.

I will say that at this time of year most dealers are ready to give substantial discounts to move out inventory. The Fall harvest begins in 60 days. By early September, hobbyists are too focused on what the new harvest will bring to be much interested in the prior year's leftovers. So, if you are uncertain whether this fish meets your goals, I would suggest that you let the dealer know that you have doubts and have decided not to purchase the koi; but if the dealer ever reduces the price to $600 you would like to be contacted. If the fish is not sold in the next couple of weeks, you just may get a call to let you know the price has been reduced to $750. Then you can decide if that sounds fair to you.

Keep in mind a lesson DickB teaches: There will always be another koi. Be patient. The right koi for you will come along in time, so do not rush to purchase if you are uncertain.

Mike , You pretty much nailed it.

The only thing I could add would be the life of GR with Koi. In most cases the GR never looks as good on a Koi when they are 5 as it did when they are 2.

Fry
    Big thanks for your knowledge.. I prefer female to, but it`s not easy to get a nice one. Especially when i live in Sweden where the range of koi is very slim

This Showa i think is looking quite good, but price is to high for me for that koi.

And i would like to have one that can grow some more, since its a male that get`s it harder. For a good price tho i would buy it.

Maybe i wait untill new koi get`s out on the market, problem is that i not have many place to have a look at since im in Sweden. The range of koi in Sweden get`s better but it is still slim.

$1200 for a gin rin showa that might not grow very big is pretty expensive. By gin rin standards go this would be considered so so by Shinoda. The conformation is okay, not ideal IMHO.

I would say since the season is ending soon, probably $400 tops would be what I would pay if I was desperate. I would wait to see what $1200 can really get you during the fall harvest.

This Gr.Showa has a potential. I bought from Mr.Shinoda this Gr.Inazuma Showa 2 years ago. He has got really good quality KOI.

What about this Showa-box_2011_01.jpg

Numa: A very attractive pattern with balanced colors and the ginrin adds an extra dimension. The photo angle makes it appear that the back third of the body is disproportionately thin compared to the front. If this is accurate, be careful with feeding because she could acquire a bloated appearance if too many eggs develop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast