Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Orlando In March: CFKS 2012

Thank you!

What a great guy you are to help like that.

Can't wait to park my massive RV in parking lot next to show tents. Will be there early so save me some spaces...about 6 should do it. Make it 8 Mike so I can use the porch additiuon. Thanks!

Well, maybe we could use it for any more seminars that get scheduled? LOL

Actually, the seminar schedule has been 'finalized' subject to time changes on the day with the addition of Ruth Francis-Floyd, the Director of the Aquatic Animal Health Program of the University of Florida, who will be speaking on koi health.

The full updated schedule:

9-9:45 Mike Swanson from Koi Acresond construction, filtration, coatings, etc.

9:45-10:15 Cheryl Childers and Bay Bateman: The 2011 Holland Koi Show.

10:30-11:15 Ruth Francis-Floyd, University of Florida: Koi health.

11:15-12:00 Bill Story: Photography techniques for koi.

1-1:45 Bill McGurk: Life at Purdin Koi Farm.

1:45 - 2:30 Devin Swanson: Marudo Koi Farm techniques for conditioning show koi.

2:45 - 3:30 Mat McCann: Parent koi at Nisei Koi Farm.

3:30 - 4:15 Chris Clevers, President of Hikari Sales USA: Koi nutrition.

Banquet Speakers: Henry Culpepper, Luanne and Richard Porter, John Sprinkle, and Sherri and Joe White will relate their experiences from the 2012 All Japan Show.

Tategoi
    Any chance of getting Ruth scheduled later in the day, I'd like to attend that one

Go Gators at koi show...is that Ruth?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orlando In March: CFKS 2012-shells-ligs-011.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Any chance of getting Ruth scheduled later in the day, I'd like to attend that one
    Maybe Henry can give you a break from assisting the judges.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Maybe Henry can give you a break from assisting the judges.
    Yaaa but I really like to do that too...decisions, decisions

Smart Shopping

The show is one month away. The vendors coming to the show will soon be deciding what they will bring. If you have an interest in a particular product carried by one of the vendors, now is a good time to inquire whether they can bring it to the show for you to examine in person, or to pick up. For items that are expensive to ship, like nets with 8-foot poles, or big, heavy pumps, etc., you just might be able to avoid shipping costs, or at least minimize the cost.

Koi dealers will be deciding, too. The koi they bring need to be fasted and made ready for travel well in advance. If there is a koi on their website that interests you, but you really want to see it in person, the dealer may be willing to bring it for your inspection. Or, may be able to deliver to you at the show without as much shipping cost if you have made your decision to purchase. If you ask a dealer to bring a particular fish, or a particular variety, you aren't obligated to buy unless you said you would. But, the dealer is not obligated to hold the fish for you if someone else comes along wanting to buy it. So, to avoid unpleasantness, folks should be clear. If you will not be at the show until Saturday, confirm with the dealer that he will hold it for you to examine until Saturday at, say, 10am. (Then be punctual. Don't be surprised if by 10:30 it is sold to someone else.) There have been more than a few higher-priced koi purchased as a result of being able to see them at the show. However, don't expect a dealer to bring their most expensive koi on speculation. The dealer will have an idea of a price range appropriate for sales at a show based on the hobbyists who usually come and past sales trends. They may have 100 koi falling in the range, but will bring only ten. The fact that you express interest in a particular fish in advance makes it more likely that will be one of the ten. The dealer is not going to risk transport injury to one of their most high-priced koi just because somebody would like to see it in person. Still, if the dealer plans to bring one high-priced koi to be part of the mix for sale, your expression of interest might influence which one is brought.

There are 15 koi vendors coming to the show. Call your favorites in advance, and you just might get to see that photo beauty in the flesh.

The CFKS website has a page listing vendors who are coming, with links to their websites. So, you can check out the possibilities ahead of time.

BTW, the official opening time is 1pm on Friday, March 9. But, vendors are allowed to sell as soon as they complete setting up. So, think about volunteering to do some chores for the show while waiting for your favorite vendors to arrive. (I can always use some help getting tables and chairs distributed to the vendor spaces. )
    Last edited by MikeM; 02-08-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    BTW, the official opening time is 1pm on Friday, March 11. But, vendors are allowed to sell as soon as they complete setting up. So, think about volunteering to do some chores for the show while waiting for your favorite vendors to arrive. (I can always use some help getting tables and chairs distributed to the vendor spaces. )
    While helping setup on friday of last years show, saw a sweet Shusui come off Ray Abel's truck. Bought it and put it in the show. Won Best Doitsu.....

On the hunt for a Yamabuki !!

Darrell

Oooops! I've corrected my post. Friday is the 9th. The 11th is the last day of the show. That's what happens when I get rushed and don't proofread.

Yes, Darrell, there are benefits to volunteering. In fact, the best time may be on Thursday before the show opens. Some dealers arrive and set up late on Thursday. They are free to sell then, and do. The Thursday volunteers get first look at the early arrivals.

It also helps to be decisive. There have been several koi over the years that I saw as the vendors were setting up that I found interesting, but by the time I was ready to make a decision the fish was sold.

It would seem that experienced dealers would know if a particular fish will sell quickly and only bring such fish. But, they will tell you that they get surprised at every show. I was surprised two years ago when Mat McCann brought a gorgeous nisai Tancho Kujaku. I figured it would sell first thing. It was still unsold on Sunday morning. Mat did not understand why nobody was interested. I did not understand. Then the right person came along and bought it, leaving it with Mat until the new owner was ready to leave. In the couple of hours interim, one person after another asked about it. Mat could have sold it 4 times. One year Ray Abell sold half of his larger koi to one buyer on Friday afternoon... a fellow from out of town on a business trip who just happened upon the show without knowing there was one. He loaded them up and drove home. He was at the show for about 90 minutes total. One never can be sure. The right fish, the right buyer and the right time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast