Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Orlando In March: CFKS 2012

Orlando In March: CFKS 2012

Save the date... the Central Florida Koi Show will be Friday March 9, 2012 through Sunday, March 11. (Early set-up for vendors is available beginning at noon on Thursday, March 8.) We return to the International Palms Resort, 6515 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32819. The show room rate is $92 per night (call: 407-351-3500 and remember to mention 'Koi Show'.) The past couple of years the tourist market has been down and it was possible to get cheaper rates on-line as rooms were let go cheaply rather than go empty. But, tourists are back and rates are headed up to pre-recession levels. The hotel is currently not letting any rooms go for less than $109 per night, except for event pricing, and a $6.50 resort fee/tax gets added. The resort tax is included in the $92 show price. So, for 2012 it looks like the show rate will be a good buy.... And the renovation of the hotel is looking good, too.

We will be limiting the number of koi dealer vendors to the level we had in 2009, except any vendor who had a booth at the last show will be given the opportunity to have a wet booth at the 2012 show. If some do not return, as is usually the case, they will not be replaced unless the total number of koi dealers falls below the 2009 level. This will allow us to maintain our requirement that all wet booths be separated from one another by wide aisles or dry vendors, allow some additional space for show tanks in the show tent, and prevent undue dilution of sales for the vendors who do come. We had to turn away several wet vendors the last time, and I expect we will have to do so again. But, that means there will be room for a few more dry vendors.

I appreciated your clarification about wet vendors after talking to a vendor who returned recently from a show where they were packed side by side in a "wet vendors row"....( and he wasn't very happy about it ). I think those in planning such events need to be sensitive to the needs of both the club and the vendors.
    Obviously, you folks "get it"

Look forward to it Mike, gets better each year. Hope we can get some new fire hose, fittings, to make water changes a bit easier and don't lock em up Friday- Sat night.

Tategoi
    Resv are made already,at a good rate....we fly in the previous Sat

thanks for the dates. I will look forward to tank reservations as this will be the 1st show for me. Now to beef up the koi and figure out which to take.

I've not been keeping folks up to date on the show planning! I have received a PM and some emails asking about the show. One person wanted to know if it had been cancelled! LOL. We did lose our website domain for a while, but it is back. You can get show info at cfks.org. Or, use orlandokoishow.org. Or, centralfloridakoishow.org. The show is going to be as big as ever!

And, no, we are not having any financial problems. I've just been busy with 'stuff' and not posting about the show plans. We are virtually sold out of vendor spaces, and have been since November. I know a lot of folks come as much to see what koi are available for sale as for the koi in the show ring. Well, there are a great group of koi dealers/breeders who will be at the show with koi covering the price spectrum of most hobbyists... From California, there will be Champion Koi, Peters & Son, and Eastern. From 'up north' we will have Nisei Koi Farm (Quality Koi) and Koi Acres (can't get much further north and stay in the U.S.). From around the Southeast, there are Nishikigoi of Niigata (Ray Abell), Purdin Koi Farm, Carolina Koi Farm, Razorback Koi, Delta Koi and Tarheel Koi. From Hawaii, we have Kodama coming. From around Florida, we have SunDan Koi, Schroettinger's Samurai Koi and new dealer, Legacy Koi (which imports from SFF, Omosako and other southern Japan breeders). That's 15 koi vendors, plus another 18 'dry vendors' carrying pond supplies, filter systems, food, AKCA Bookstore and neat stuff, like jewelry, clothing items, garden sculpture, art, watergarden plants, orchids and more. I have only one full-sized unsold vendor space for a dry vendor, but might be able to squeeze in another.

Info on the seminars, etc. will be loaded onto the website soon. Meanwhile, those interested in entering fish can download registration forms from the website. I know there are going to be entries from all over Florida and from nearby states. So far, the furthest away is Texas. We try to accomodate everyone who wants to enter koi in the show, but it sure is easier if folks get in their entry forms as early as they can. You might decide to bring a different fish at the last moment (we've all been there), but having the show tank reserved early really helps the planning.

Don't put off making your room reservation. The $92 rate is only guaranteed until Feb 7th. After that you may have to pay the higher $149 rate.

Show entries are coming in. Don't put that off either. Although we have built up a large number of tanks, when they'e gone, they're gone.

The Saturday seminar schedule is looking good! And, it only costs $10 to get admission to the full series.

The following speakers are confirmed. Times are subject to change.

9-9:45 Mike Swanson from Koi Acres will discuss pond construction, filtration, pond coatings, etc.

10-10:45 Cheryl Childers and Bay Bateman will report on the 2011 Holland Koi Show. Lots of beautiful photos.

11-11:45 Bill Story will demonstrate photography techniques for koi. And Bill sure knows how to take koi photos.

1-1:45 Bill McGurk will review life at Purdin Koi Farm.

2-2:45 Devin Swanson will reveal Marudo Koi Farm techniques for conditioning show koi.

3-3:45 Mat McCann will discuss parent koi at Nisei Koi Farm.

And, there may be another presentation on koi health matters, but it is not pinned down.

And, for those attending the banquet, there will be a special presentation. Henry Culpepper, Luanne and Richard Porter, John Sprinkle, and Sherri and Joe White will relate their experiences from the 2012 All Japan Show. There are sure to be great photos and many insights for those who did not go.

And, the seminar series grows... add:

3:30 - 4:15 Chris Clevers, President of Hikari Sales USA, will speak on koi nutrition.

It's going to be a great weekend of koi.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast