Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: string algae

Fry

string algae

how do i get rid of string algae without killing good algae in the process.got a nice moss like coating on the walls of the pond,water is crystal clear.string algae is prevalent in waterfalls and inside of laguna waterfall filter.

If I had time, I'd chat about algae until my fingers wore off. Fascinating stuff. But, you want an answer and I've got none to give you that's sure to work.

I do have a low cost recommendation. Get a 'sludge remover' bottled bacteria. Microbe-Lift Sludge Away is one, but there are others. I've been using the 'bottled bugs' the past 3 years whenever string algae starts and it has not gotten out of hand. I went a couple of years in a row where the spring bloom was terrible for about a month, blocking drains, etc. I will not say that the sludge remover retards string algae. I'll only say that I have observed a happy coincidence in my pond. I have found that a single dose at about one-fourth the rate on the label is sufficient. The string algae does not die, but slowly sloughs off and becomes less aggressive.... bearable. The carpet algae is affected as well, but not as dramatically.

My guess is that the bacteria in the concoction bind phosphates, and act on the cell walls of dead algae cells. The long filaments can have dead cells that remain structurally intact, but break when decomposition sets in. So, between binding phosphates and speeding up breakage of the filaments, there is a retardant effect that lets me get through the seasonal bloom. ...Now, I'm not saying what happens. I'm giving my guess of what might be happening. Any way, it's a cheap alternative. For $20 or less, maybe your algae problem will become as bearable as my seasonal outbreak. If it does not work for you, you haven't lost much.

....BTW, be prepared to check and clean filters more frequently. The algae clumps can block things quickly if you do not stay alert.

Quote Originally Posted by thatupsguy View Post
    how do i get rid of string algae without killing good algae in the process.got a nice moss like coating on the walls of the pond,water is crystal clear.string algae is prevalent in waterfalls and inside of laguna waterfall filter.

About a month ago I had string algae in my 60 ft. stream. I turned off the water flow until there was just a trickle flowing at the top. Then I poured a quart of Hydrogen Peroxide in and let it set for an hour before turning the pump back on. The next afternoon the stream was clear and has been since. Hope this helps. GG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails string algae-stream-flowers-006.jpg  

Fry

string algae

thanks for the replies.how does the peroxide effect the fish?will it kill of parasites in the water?not that I have any.

Quote Originally Posted by thatupsguy View Post
    thanks for the replies.how does the peroxide effect the fish?will it kill of parasites in the water?not that I have any.
    See: Use of Hydrogen Peroxide in aquaculture.

Once Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) is diluted in the pond water (H2O) it is fairly harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by holsteinkoi View Post
    About a month ago I had string algae in my 60 ft. stream. I turned off the water flow until there was just a trickle flowing at the top. Then I poured a quart of Hydrogen Peroxide in and let it set for an hour before turning the pump back on. The next afternoon the stream was clear and has been since. Hope this helps. GG
    Some people use a similar treatment as above only they substitute rock salt for the Hydrogen Peroxide.

Hydrogen peroxide comes in a wide range of concentrations. So, if you are going to use it, be sure what concentration you have and be careful not to overdose. I have read that a dosage to give 100ppm in an algae-infested pond will kill algae without harming the koi, but the same dosage in a clean pond will lead to dead koi within 48 hours. It is an oxidizer. So, like potassium permanganate, real care needs to be exercised and all life forms in the pond are going to be affected to some degree. Much depends on the amount of organics present in the pond. Because of the potential harm to the koi if not dosed appropriately, I would not recommend its use to new pondkeepers; but it is used with success by those with an inclination toward chemistry whose math skills are up to the calculations involved in arriving at the right dose.