Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Our new showa

Nisai

Our new showa

We have finally taken the plunge and moved up from pet shop quality koi and purchased some higher quality eye candy for our mud pond. We picked these two because they both stood out to us and we feel they look good when viewing both as a pair.

Both are Tosai and are 37 and 42 cm.

Of course there are much better koi available but being novice we don't have the eye for the good and bad points of these, we just liked them. If you could share your comments on these two I would be very gratfull. Please be honest, we can take negative points as part of our learning and it won't make us feel any different about these two anyway.

IMO... I like the body. It gives the fish a strong presence, which is the essence of Showa. There is too much sumi on the face, but the sumi appears to be good quality. The beni is a question. I cannot tell much about it from the short video. The balance from side to side is problematical, but may improve if the beni becomes more intense as the fish matures. Altogether, this would not be a major prize contender in a major show, but I like this Showa. For personal enjoyment, the most important factor for me is that a Showa make a bold impression... the aura of a samurai warrior spirit. Keep this one well-fed so the bulk is maintained and I believe you will have many happy hours pondside.

I am pleased to see the hobby has taken hold in Finland. If people see koi like this one, the hobby will grow. I became addicted to the beauty of koi on far lesser fish.

When I first replied, only Zoe was posted. Xena is a very different subject. Xena needs to be watched for sumi development. I think it there is more to come. That will make the patterning improve, and create continuing interest as the mystery unfolds. That is part of the fun of Showa.

The combination of the two will give interest for quite some time to come. In two years, I think Xena will be the star of the two, but Zoe will still be bold.

Enjoy!

Sansai
    Hi Raz:

Xena is a very interesting fish. Her facial pattern might be considered "unbalanced" by those who prize symmetry. However, I see it as an interesting focal point, which leads the eye on a journey - over the shoulder, across the dorsal and then... petering out. Oh well. While there isn't a nice balancing feature near the tail stop (odome or a blotch of sumi would be well received), it still affords a pleasant viewing experience.

Zoe is what she is: dark and powerful looking. I avoid buying fish with this much sumi, mostly because I enjoy watching it come in. Her conformation looks good - she should reach a nice size.

If these were my my fish, I would want them in a setting with a strong current for another year or two. I believe that would help balance out the appearance of the bodies. Both are rugged looking fish, however, Xena looks weaker near the tail. Steady work against a current can help balance this.

Congratulations!

-t

Nisai
    Many thanks for your replies so far, I have already learned from both of your observations. More comments are most welcome.