Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Koi Show Newbie questions

Koi Show Newbie questions

Mike recently posted about the Central Florida show dates being set and this year I am planning on attending/competing. I just built my pond after the last show, so a lot of this stuff is new to me, so I need some help on a few questions.

I will need a bowl and prefer one with a ruler in it if possible for easier measuring, any recommendations?

My koi are fairly small still and I was thinking i would just transport in poly bags placed in a box/cooler. Any recommendations on where to get some without breaking the bank?

Last but not least, I need recommendations on what to do there. I am lucky enough to live in the area but have to balance some time with the family as well. For those that have been to this particular show or others, what part do you feel is the most important?

Thanks...Jim

Jim: We need to get you in the Orlando koi club! The club does not have meetings during the hottest part of the summer, but will pick back up in September.

Search this forum and you will find threads on bagging koi for transport. There are also good articles in KoiUSA. Check the magazine website to see if any are available on-line. For a bowl, etc., check Aquatic Eco-Systems' website. They are in Apopka, so can save on shipping by picking up. (And get their full print catalog. It is great to have on hand.) Your travel time to the show may be short, but you will need to bag your koi with oxygen. So, you will need to purchase a regulator and get a small oxygen tank. The initial cost varies according to how fancy a regulator you get. After that, the cost of re-fills is modest. I use a welding supply outlet simply because I drive by it several times each week, so very convenient for me.

As to what to do at the show...... Well, the Orlando show draws folks from all over who make a full weekend of it. There will be over 40 vendors with all sorts of supplies and equipment, and literally thousands of koi for sale. On Saturday there will be a seminar series of talks on koi and ponds, usually beginning at 9am and not ending until mid-afternoon. If all of the talks are of interest, a person could spend the day just in them. Meanwhile, koi being entered in the show are brought on Friday with the judging on Saturday. Folks hang around the show tent checking out the entries during the course of the day on Friday, and observe the judging on Saturday. On Sunday morning, the judges do a walk around the show tent discussing the attributes of the major winners and other entries of interest. By early afternoon on Sunday, people begin removing their entries and breaking down. By 4pm, it is all emptied out and mostly just volunteers left with clean-up. Along the way, there are social activities, awards banquet on Saturday night and sore feet.

Registration info., etc will be updated on the show website closer to the show dates. In the meantime, check out the site: centralfloridakoishow.org .

Will an air compressor due for the oxygen? Also what about closing the bags with an air tube running in the top and having a tank air pump running them?

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
    Will an air compressor due for the oxygen? Also what about closing the bags with an air tube running in the top and having a tank air pump running them?

That would be nothing more then Air. You need a Oxygen Tank.

Sansai
    You don't need a bowl with a measuring tape. Measuring gets done by the benching team with a communal benching tub that will have a measuring tape in it. This assures uniformity in measuring for all contestants. I'm sure that Florida practices proper disinfecting protocols so contamination will not be an issue. If you are not a member of a club that has a stock of bags, consider getting some from a dealer. Plan on double bagging the fish and use new rubber bags. Oxygen really is a must, leaving the bag open is really not an option due to water chemistry issues.
    What to do at the show? Consider helping with the judging team on Sat in whatever capacity that you can. It allows you to eavesdrop on the judging and gain insight to what the judges are looking for.