Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: My fish were resting in string algae

Fry

My fish were resting in string algae

I had some string algae recently which I removed by hand..however, before its removal I noticed some of my fish would wriggle their way into it and just rest motionless supported by it for hours, anyone else noticed this behaviour ?

No.

What size are the koi?

Nisai
    You may want to be careful if they do that at night.. the algae takes in oxygen at night, opposite of during the day. Odd behavior I'll say.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    No.

What size are the koi?
    I have 7 Koi in a 3000 gallon pond 5ft at its deepest, with one small 6"r and the rest 9" to 14" mutts .....one of the larger fish started the behaviour and now they're all doing it... the fish all appear to be healthy, no visible lesions, fungi, or flashing, they all have good appetites and eat like pigs from my hand

The primary method of flow is from a 55 gallon Gravel fllter to a 150 gallon Bio to a waterfall...one large airstone in the pond. At first I thought maybe they were trying to get out of the current so I slowed the flow but they still buried there heads into the string algae and hung there motionless with their tails sticking out . They dont appear to do it at night.

There are no floating plants or lilies for shade....I thought at first they were shading themselves from the afternoon sun but they have 5 ft of water and a security cave (milk crate) to hide in on the bottom.

I dunno I'm baffled, not seen this before ?

I have not seen or heard of this behavior before. The behaviors of koi is something that gets my interest. They do behave differently in different ponds. Generally the differences relate to the currents, pond size, hobbyist routines, etc.; but sometimes it seems to be individual 'personality' differences. In one pond the koi are in nearly constant motion. In another they are lazy, basking near the surface as a group and avoiding exertion as much as possible. In still another, they will hardly ever school; and in another they prefer to remain near the bottom when not feeding. Some prefer sinking food over floating. One hobbyist will report that her koi go into a feeding frenzy for a particular food, while another's koi ignore that food no matter how often it is tried. When I had a regular cheap source of earthworms, I fed worms at least once per week and all of the fish were excited to get them. The last time I tried worms, the koi swam away as if afraid of those wriggly things.

It also seems to me that the schooling instinct comes into play, with some "monkey see, monkey do" odd behaviors. Perhaps that is what has occurred with your koi. My suspicion is that something happened that gave a scare, perhaps something as simple as a dog coming up to the pond or a large bird flying overhead. One headed into the algae as a way of hiding for protection, and others eventually followed the leader. It's a guess. I don't think you'll ever know the reason. Enjoy the uniqueness now. I don't think you'll observe this behavior as the fish grow larger.