Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Developing The Sanke

kohaku blood line

Mike,

Re: your question about blood line of the kohaku babies.

Daddy was hasegawa, mommy was from Ogata! I think from my exposure to the trade that most of the major players swap new lines of blood in ALL THE TIME so it's hard to say this is Manzo or that is such and such. The reason I used a hasegawa male was I saw were Sakai -isawa picked one up to cross in with thiers. there are differences in the basic dominant bloodlines that you can get an idea of what's happening. for example, sensuke bloodline the color crosses anywhere across an individual scale where it wants as opposed to some other bloodlines that fill the entire scale with color. once you get used to what your couple can do with three- 4 yrs experience, it helps to pick out sooner those candidates that will make it. in raising these things food and space is vital so each year you benefit from the learning curve.

Green Sumi

Maurice: That's neat. Gives an idea of what the old guy might have meant. It is a bit like the green on a variety of tiger barb sold for aquaria in U.S. under a lot of different names, except not as strong and not irridescent. I can imagine that it might make for an interesting koi if deeper in tone against shiro.

Dick: I don't believe Hasegawa has introduced the newer magoi blood kohaku to his line, but I expect Ogata would have. No personal knowledge on either front. Do you get many offspring that show odd colors, or just the white & orangey colors like you descibe?

Mike,
    I don't get any odd colored babies. they all seem to be red and white with nothing else. some go all white and they get culled. nothing exciting. My understanding is that in koi ( goldfish another genetic matter) that about the tenth generation to the same color variety and it works out all the odd balls that are dissimilar.

Since no odd colored fry, I'd expect the parent fish are not from a strain recently bred back to magoi. That surprises me some, since there is such a big emphasis on size. This does not directly relate to the theme of this thread, so I'll start another.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12