Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 54

Thread: My Home-Grown Sanke

  1. #11
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,128
    #6 has the best body. I like #2 for the combination of traits... not particularly the best in any one aspect, but good in combo. But, you gotta keep #5 just to see how the sumi maruten develops!

  2. #12
    Jumbo Tosai_Sunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    #6 has the best body. I like #2 for the combination of traits... not particularly the best in any one aspect, but good in combo. But, you gotta keep #5 just to see how the sumi maruten develops!

    Hi Mike,

    Thanks for joining the discussion. I agree #6 has the best body with #3 a close behind. Both have thick and tall bodies comparing to the rest of their sibling.

    #2 was pick personnal pick as the number one fish out of the bunch at two months old, but upon closer inspection revealed secondary hi and the head might not be perfect. The head looks a little short to me.

    #5 - The body is very simular to #2. The sumi maruten is interesting. Personnaly, I have never seen one before. The beni on this fish might be problematic as it is starting to break apart. I am seeing light color in between beni scales. My prediction is this fish will loose all its' beni in the near future.

    Their four month old checkup is this weekend. I am hoping to have another update by then.

    Thanks,
    Sunny

  3. #13
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    The sumi maruten is interesting. Personnaly, I have never seen one before. The beni on this fish might be problematic as it is starting to break apart. I am seeing light color in between beni scales. My prediction is this fish will loose all its' beni in the near future.
    Yes, but if it keeps the sumi maruten you may end up with a Bekko worth keeping around. (If JR was still posting, this is where we would hark back to a discussion begun nearly 10 years ago about the judging standards for Bekko calling for a bald head, while I see a marking on the head as essential to give Bekko 'personality', or presence. Sumi maruten on Bekko would be part of my ideal for the variety. )

  4. #14
    Jumbo
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    999
    We have many fry seem as if kuro tan/maruten zumi this year, though these black spot will disappear soon or later.

  5. #15
    Jumbo Tosai_Sunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    We have many fry seem as if kuro tan/maruten zumi this year, though these black spot will disappear soon or later.
    Hi Junichi,

    Those are some nice looking frys. I am assuming that they are sankes?

    Best Regards,
    Sunny

  6. #16
    Oyagoi mrbradleybradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    We have many fry seem as if kuro tan/maruten zumi this year, though these black spot will disappear soon or later.
    The heads have the look of fry from asagi-sumi based fish, where the dark brain is showing through the thin skull. As the skull thickens, the black disappears behind the bone. In the asagi sumi type of example, it is not skin colour. It is the same as the pinkish brain seen in white based fry.

  7. #17
    Jumbo
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    999
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Hi Junichi,

    Those are some nice looking frys. I am assuming that they are sankes?

    Best Regards,
    Sunny
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbradleybradley View Post
    The heads have the look of fry from asagi-sumi based fish, where the dark brain is showing through the thin skull. As the skull thickens, the black disappears behind the bone. In the asagi sumi type of example, it is not skin colour. It is the same as the pinkish brain seen in white based fry.
    Hi Sunny,

    the appearance of those fry resemble to the early stage of Kujaku's fry very much, but honestly I don't know well.

    the parent set is both showa (Dainichi from the TX event ) originally. however we added a male kawari Goshiki (attached pics) as one of the fellow wanted to get Goshiki showa hopefully.... so, they are most likely Goshiki or something like Goshiki related Kawarimono, though a little bit too dark compare to normal goshiki's fry. (we call them "Dainichi Goshiki" because the female oyagoi is a daughter of Sakura...)

  8. #18
    Jumbo Tosai_Sunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    782
    A very diverse group of babies, Junichi. It will be fun to see how they will turn out. I hope that you will keep us updated of their progress. BTW, the kohaku male in my spawn is also a Dainichi bred fish from the same Houston sale event. That means my frys and yours might be related.

    BB,
    Thanks for the insight regarding the sumi on the head of asagi-based fish. Here are a few more photos of my maruten sumi sanke(soon to be bekko). I think the round circle sumi is on the skin and not the skull. You can almost see the beni underneath part of the sumi. What do you think?

    Thanks,
    Sunny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_2011_-5.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_2011_-5-1.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_2011_-5-2.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_baby_-5-5.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_baby_-5-7.jpg  

    My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_baby_-5-8.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_baby_-5-9.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_baby_-5-10.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_baby_-5-12.jpg  

  9. #19
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,128
    It is pigment, not underlying bone structure. However, it seems to be 'shallow' sumi... what I call 'baby sumi'. Often baby sumi fades away as the fish grows, and the mature sumi pattern is created by the deep sumi concentrating over time. The sumi patterns of fry have a protective camouflage effect. The pattern of the mature fish is often very different. I'm hoping the sumi maruten remains.

  10. #20
    Jumbo Tosai_Sunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It is pigment, not underlying bone structure. However, it seems to be 'shallow' sumi... what I call 'baby sumi'. Often baby sumi fades away as the fish grows, and the mature sumi pattern is created by the deep sumi concentrating over time. The sumi patterns of fry have a protective camouflage effect. The pattern of the mature fish is often very different. I'm hoping the sumi maruten remains.
    Thanks Mike! Me too, I hope that the sumi maruten will remain as well. However, I think the sumi on this fish is not very good quality. It is grayish black, but there is underlying sumi to come. Hopefully, it is a better quality sumi than the "baby sumi" showing right now.

    Out of the whole group, I think #4 and #6 have the darkest sumi that I like. I have a feeling that it's not coincident that they both also have tejime. I have heard having tejime(black stripes on pec) is essential for stable sumi. Does it also tell us the quality of sumi?

    Sunny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_baby-006-copy.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_baby_-4-3.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_baby_-6-2.jpg  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Has Anyone Purposely Grown Algae in Koi Pond?
    By yerrag in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-11-, 10:51 AM
  2. Home grown - a road to jumbo
    By mrbradleybradley in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
  3. Home bred sanke
    By AWL in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
  4. Home bred sanke progress
    By mrbradleybradley in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 01:39 PM
  5. Don't try this at home
    By jnorth in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-22-2007, 10:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com