Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Home-Grown Sanke

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Out of the whole group, I think #4 and #6 have the darkest sumi that I like. I have a feeling that it's not coincident that they both also have tejime. I have heard having tejime(black stripes on pec) is essential for stable sumi. Does it also tell us the quality of sumi?

Sunny
    I defer to those with broader experience to answer your question. Perhaps in the early days tejima showed up as sumi was improved from a dull, smoky gray-black to lacquer black, which may have led to that idea. I do not believe there is a necessary correlation, but that tejime may be an indicator in some bloodlines. I say that because going back in time, tejime was a common trait of Sanke. Too much of it was considered undesirable both aesthetically and as a trait seen in fish closer to the wild, particularly if the stripes extended to the end of the fin. (Think of the stripes in the pectorals of Hi Utsuri.) Some of the best Sanke produced today have little or no tejime. ...Just some thoughts. Like I said, I defer to others with direct experience.

However, I don't think you should judge the sumi by the temporary baby sumi. It is what comes as the baby sumi fades away that counts.

Hello,
    As promised, here is another update of my home-grown tosai sankes. It's been almost two months since my last update. At the time of these photos and videos were taken, they were one week shy of 5 months old. Sorry, I was unable to provide update last month due to extreme heat wave. The condition throughout August and most of September was extremely hot. My water temperatures in those 2 months lingered around 85F(29.5C) - 88F(31C). I did not want to stress them too much by attempting to capture them in such high temperature. In addition to the heat, my water quality was not the ideal either. I have since upgraded the filtration. I am hoping to be able to grow them a little faster in the next couple of months before winterizing them.

The average growth in two months is only about 1 inch(2.5cm), which is very disappointing.

Below are videos and photos of all six tosais that I have been tracking as study subjects. They are definitely not the best representatives of their variety, but they are good enough for educational purposes. As always, your comments(including critisms) are welcome. Please help me learn.

Sanke_Baby_#1 (Five Months Old), Size = 5.5 inches(14cm)

Sanke_Baby_#2 (Five Months Old), Size = 5.5 inches(14cm)

Sanke_Baby_#3 (Five Months Old), Size = 6.5 inches(16.5cm)

Sanke_Baby_#4 (Five Months Old), Size = 6.5 inches(16.5cm)

Sanke_Baby_#5 (Five Months Old), Size = 5 inches(13cm)
    MikeM and Junichi(SuperKindai) are correct, the sumi maruten is fading.

Sanke_Baby_#6 (Five Months Old), Size = 6.5 inches(16.5cm)

Sunny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_-1.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_-2.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_-3.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_-4.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_-5.jpg  

My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_-6.jpg  

Hello,
    As promised, here is another update of my home-grown tosai sankes. It's been almost two months since my last update. At the time of these photos and videos were taken, they were one week shy of 5 months old. Sorry, I was unable to provide update last month due to extreme heat wave. The condition throughout August and most of September was extremely hot. My water temperatures in those 2 months lingered around 85F(29.5C) - 88F(31C). I did not want to stress them too much by attempting to capture them in such high temperature. In addition to the heat, my water quality was not the ideal either. I have since upgraded the filtration. I am hoping to be able to grow them a little faster in the next couple of months before winterizing them.

The average growth in two months is only about 1 inch(2.5cm), which is very disappointing.

Below are videos and photos of all six tosais that I have been tracking as study subjects. They are definitely not the best representatives of their variety, but they are good enough for educational purposes. As always, your comments(including critisms) are welcome. Please help me learn.

Sanke_Baby_#1 (Five Months Old), Size = 5.5 inches(14cm)

Sanke_Baby_#2 (Five Months Old), Size = 5.5 inches(14cm)

Sanke_Baby_#3 (Five Months Old), Size = 6.5 inches(16.5cm)

Sanke_Baby_#4 (Five Months Old), Size = 6.5 inches(16.5cm)

Sanke_Baby_#5 (Five Months Old), Size = 5 inches(13cm)
    MikeM and Junichi(SuperKindai) are correct, the sumi maruten is fading.

Sanke_Baby_#6 (Five Months Old), Size = 6.5 inches(16.5cm)

Sunny
    Hello Sunny I like #3 for study purpose it be interesting to see how the Sumi will come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Koicjl View Post
    Hello Sunny I like #3 for study purpose it be interesting to see how the Sumi will come out.
    Hi Chin,

Yes, the sumi on this #3 fish is hard to tell because there is no "finished" sumi patch on this fish for us to predict. At three months old, I was concerned about the shade of the beni being not even through out, but that seems to have improved since then. I think the best feature of this fish comparing to its' siblings is the thick body. Here are few more photos:

Sunny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_yohie_babies_5months-009.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_yohie_babies_5months-016.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_yohie_babies_5months-174.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_yohie_babies_5months-182.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_yohie_babies_5months-184.jpg  

My Home-Grown Sanke-sanke_yohie_babies_5months-186.jpg  

This is my last update of my home grown sanke tosais for the season. From a very small spawn with only 30 frys survived, six were selected to be observed and studied. Now, only five remained. I lost the #3 sanke(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsFExxV0e7w). It went missing when I placed all of them in my main pond while doing some maintenance on their tank. It might have gone thru the bottom drain to take refuge in the settlement chamber and was flushed away.

Here are the five remaining tosais. Unfortunately, they are not as big as I had hoped. At a little over six months old, they range from 5.5inches(14cm) to 7inches(17.8cm). I am sure it's my water quality and poor feeding regimen that stifled their growth. I am thinking of keeping only two or three until Spring. Which ones would you keep? Please help me rank them. I would love to know what you think.

Sanke #1 - 6.5 inches(16.5cm)

Sanke #2 - 6.5 inches(16.5cm)

Sanke #4 - 7 Inches (17.8 cm)

Sanke #5 - 5.5 inches(14cm)

Sanke #6 - 7 Inches (17.8 cm)

Thanks,
    Sunny

Hi Sunny!
    Thank U for the wonderful topic!
    I really enjoyed it...
    Will follow with interest.
    I found 8 babies in my pond....Dont know who the parents are but suspect GR chagoi and a male showa...
    3 various shades of gray, two black with yellow head and the rest pinkish yellow...
    I separated them...but I am chaffed to bits!
    I only feed egg yolk...

Awesome thread!

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato View Post
    Hi Sunny!
    Thank U for the wonderful topic!
    I really enjoyed it...
    Will follow with interest.
    I found 8 babies in my pond....Dont know who the parents are but suspect GR chagoi and a male showa...
    3 various shades of gray, two black with yellow head and the rest pinkish yellow...
    I separated them...but I am chaffed to bits!
    I only feed egg yolk...
    Hi Neli,

Glad that you enjoyed reading it. My intend of this post was to share my experience with these babies and to learn from the wealth of knowledge that's on this forum. You might consider doing the same with your babies. I think there's no better way to learn about koi.

Since my last update, I have moved all five babies into my main pond for the Winter. They are doing very well grazing on algae and other aquatic lives in the pond. Hopefully, they will make it through the Winter.

How about some photos of your babies? Egg yolk is an excellent source of protein for newly hatched babies. I have used it in aquarium setting with tropical fish before but found it to be messy and too much work. With egg yolk, it's very challenging to keep up with water quality. I am lazy when it comes to water changes.

Cheers,
    Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by N2koi View Post
    Awesome thread!

Kyle
    Thanks Kyle! I am heading up to your neck of the woods to visit family for the Holidays.

Cheers,
    Sunny

Hi Neli,

Glad that you enjoyed reading it. My intend of this post was to share my experience with these babies and to learn from the wealth of knowledge that's on this forum. You might consider doing the same with your babies. I think there's no better way to learn about koi.

Since my last update, I have moved all five babies into my main pond for the Winter. They are doing very well grazing on algae and other aquatic lives in the pond. Hopefully, they will make it through the Winter.

How about some photos of your babies? Egg yolk is an excellent source of protein for newly hatched babies. I have used it in aquarium setting with tropical fish before but found it to be messy and too much work. With egg yolk, it's very challenging to keep up with water quality. I am lazy when it comes to water changes.

Cheers,
    Sunny
    Darling I dont have any thing else here...(brine shrimp) if there was I was going to buy...I will ask someone to bring me from abroad...
    I dont know not too sure, of the parents...but I strongly suspect mama gr chagoi and papa showa...(they tried it before...and are the only fish over 30cm...)
    I had some babies last year oct. My first babies...I grew 100 on egg yolk and would U believe me if I tell U that some were almost 30cm in 6-7 month....gave them away kept 2 only...but they were ugly...(i never new, thought they were so beautiful) I did not even know the parents were Koi...I borrowed (stole) them from my son in laws pond....and only realised they were koi when he started crying....some one stole my Koi I imported from SA...but he let me have them for 3 month and I gave them to him back with interest(10 babies) Meanwhile while I was growing the babies...some one put some thing in the pond and all the fish died...including the parents...
    Pictures are bad...but will try later better ones...They are 9 and I found them in the pond.
    But happiness is here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Home-Grown Sanke-066-640x505-.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-072-601x640-.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-076-640x480-.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-dsc01958-640x480-.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-095-640x413-.jpg  

My Home-Grown Sanke-093-640x510-.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-092-640x479-.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-064-640x515-.jpg   My Home-Grown Sanke-081-640x554-.jpg  

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast