Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: My Home-Grown Sanke

The 'menkaburi sanke' seems to have lost pigment on the tip of the head. I suspect this is from it rubbing off in the pond and not actual retraction, but it is something to watch. Does she tend to go after food against the pond wall? Or, do a lot of grazing on algae at the surface along the pond wall?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The 'menkaburi sanke' seems to have lost pigment on the tip of the head. I suspect this is from it rubbing off in the pond and not actual retraction, but it is something to watch. Does she tend to go after food against the pond wall? Or, do a lot of grazing on algae at the surface along the pond wall?
    Good catch there, Mike. Yes, the lost of pigment on her upper lip is from her rubbing it on the pond wall. She is always grazing near the suface of the water where the rough stones are located. I am certain the beni is not retracting. The sumi, which is way too over powering for a sanke, is the most interesting part of this fish. I will keep her another year to see what other surprises she has in store for us.

Regards,
    Sunny

The rubbing off of pigment at the nose was hard for me to get my head around when I first observed it. How is it that there is enough rubbing to remove pigment, but no sign of abrasion?? I think it tells us about the superficiality of pigment on the skin where there are no scales, which explains why a maruten can be doctored to create a more perfect Tancho and doitsu will show scarification more readily than wagoi.

BTW, I have a Sanke that rubbed off much more beni than yours. It all came back once she learned a better grazing technique. Today, you cannot tell anything ever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The rubbing off of pigment at the nose was hard for me to get my head around when I first observed it. How is it that there is enough rubbing to remove pigment, but no sign of abrasion?? I think it tells us about the superficiality of pigment on the skin where there are no scales, which explains why a maruten can be doctored to create a more perfect Tancho and doitsu will show scarification more readily than wagoi.

BTW, I have a Sanke that rubbed off much more beni than yours. It all came back once she learned a better grazing technique. Today, you cannot tell anything ever happened.
    She probably learned her poor table manners from my kids. :-)

My Home-Grown Sanke-sankes-012.jpg

Regards,
    Sunny

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456