Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Koi intern/volunteer work?

Fry

Koi intern/volunteer work?

Hey everyone,
    i've been a long time fan of koi, but i have been unemployed since finishing up my degree in Japan. So i've decided to create my own job, but in order to do that i need to get more experience with koi. So far my experience is limited to building and maintaining a 3000 gallon koi pond, and of course taking care of the koi.
    So my question is what koi farms are there around the LA, san diego areas? I live in Murrieta CA, which is right in-between the two.
    Should i look to help out a koi farm (volunteer work) or is there another way i can get some good experience?
    I read California Koi farm located in Fallbrook, CA. is the largest Koi farm in California, but when i searched it i could not find a web site and found one with a similar name in Barstow, is that the same farm just moved or a completely different Koi farm?

Thanks for your help and any advice you think may help is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by aisuru koi View Post
    I read California Koi farm located in Fallbrook, CA. is the largest Koi farm in California, but when i searched it i could not find a web site and found one with a similar name in Barstow, is that the same farm just moved or a completely different Koi farm?
    California Koi Farms, Inc.

Nisai
    You can also talk to Ken Liu @ Barstow Koi, he's a terrific person. On the other hand, if you seek more experience with pond maintenance; call me.
    My company is in LA and services anywhere from 24 to 32 ponds/day 5 days/wk. Crash course in maintenance & high exposure to all kinds of ponds.

Sounds like you speak Japanese since you went to school there. Why don't you persue internship in Japan, the Mecca of Koi, instead? I am not sure what the requirements are to be a candidate for internship there, but I know speaking their language is one of them. I can think of two people who are regular here on this forum that might able to point you to the right direction. Bram(Bremmert),who is working for Dainichi right now, and Tom(4TEXAS), who flys there every other days to check on his fish.

Best Regards,
    Sunny

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I noticed on their website that the Koi for Sale was last updated on 2/17/03!

Quote Originally Posted by GloriaL View Post
    I noticed on their website that the Koi for Sale was last updated on 2/17/03!
    I noticed and got the impression that they do not seem to be interested in having a big Internet web site presence.

Fry
    Well unfortunately i have forgotten the vast majority of my japanese and was never fluent although i could hold a basic conversation, read and, write. Had the best time of my life living in Tokyo. I went back recently to visit a freind in kamakura, you can see giant koi swimming/living in their storm drains, im talking huge koi and lots of em. They are not the ornamental type but still it was amazing.
    Thank you for the info on California Koi, and as poeple have stated it does not look like they want an internet presence becuase when i searched for it, I could not find it. So thank you for the link. I will hopefully head over their soon to see if he needs a free hand.

And thefishlady, i will contact you in the next few days to see if i can help you out as well, in exchange for experience and knowledge. Dont worry i dont mind working hard and getting dirty. Pond maintance is very important so to see how the pros do it would be invaluable!

Thanks for all the replies everyone!