Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Feeding yogurt to Koi?

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Paul brace yourself real hard b/c I'm about to sling all of it at you!!!
    Now remember, I said "slings and arrows," not the stuff that the monkeys at the zoo are throwing at each other!

I think there can be a lot of rumor, speculation and incomplete understanding in many nutritional claims -- this applies to humans as well as Koi. I also think it is a shallow argument to say "Japanese breeders do this," as this type of claim is hard to verifiy and/or refute, as well as the fact that just because a Japanese breeder may have done/been doing something does not in and of itself ground said practice in sound logic. As Farmer Steve said, it is hard to make strong conclusions in these sort of matters without controlled studies.

As for myself, I think I stay with more *meanstream" food rationale until convinced otherwise.

Thanks to all who replied for sharing their thoughts in the matter.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    I think there can be a lot of rumor, speculation and incomplete understanding in many nutritional claims -- this applies to humans as well as Koi. I also think it is a shallow argument to say "Japanese breeders do this," as this type of claim is hard to verifiy and/or refute, as well as the fact that just because a Japanese breeder may have done/been doing something does not in and of itself ground said practice in sound logic. As Farmer Steve said, it is hard to make strong conclusions in these sort of matters without controlled studies.
    This is not the first time I have heard about feeding yogurt to Koi.

Years ago the topic was brought up at local Koi club meetings.

I decided to check my old copies of "Practical Koi Keeping" by Koi USA & A.K.C.A.

Sure enough... I found an article; "Yogurt! A Cure For Raised Scale, Pine Cone Disease Or Dropsy" by Larry Christensen.

If interested you can find the article and read it. I will tell you that the Ed Pinell suggested the treatment to Larry for a Koi "enema" and the book editor's note says; "We are not aware of any other research on this procedure..."

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post

I decided to check my old copies of "Practical Koi Keeping" by Koi USA & A.K.C.A.

Sure enough... I found an article; "Yogurt! A Cure For Raised Scale, Pine Cone Disease Or Dropsy" by Larry Christensen.

....suggested the treatment to Larry for a Koi "enema" ....
    Wow. I guess sometimes truth may be stranger than fiction!

I will confess that the visual image which comes to mind of someone trying to squirt liquid yogurt up a Koi's poop-shute makes me laugh out loud.

I am suddenly releived that I myself don't have dropsy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    I will confess that the visual image which comes to mind of someone trying to squirt liquid yogurt up a Koi's poop-shute makes me laugh out loud.
    No, the "enema" (Ed's words) started with the yogurt going in the other end (mouth).

Just want to share this. It was around 6 or 7 years ago, a local dealer, breeder Koda from Japan and few koi kichies visited my pond. We hang around the pond and talk about koi after dinner. My daughter then gave each of us a cup of yogurt for desert. Koda then said (in Japanese) yogurt is good for koi. Not daily, but one in a while. Not so sure whether he was joking or not.

Best,
    --Dinh

IMO it sounds like a quick way to mess up the water.

My avian vet told me not to give birds dairy (esp soft cheese unless you want an emergency surgery on the bird). They can't digest the lactose, not made for it never will be. I don't think a fish would fare any better lactose wise.

there are pre and pro biotics that can make a difference in digestion and what IS actually absorbed to be used by the Koi. ( probably the first you've heard of the word pre when it comes to biotics chatter, heh? )

Sometimes i think, when it comes to food, most want to know if it sinks or floats and if it has wheatgerm in it for colder temperatures, and the cost per pound and that's about the extent.

In the Larry C's article ( I lived thru that era) the head of the needle was removed and the yogurt loaded into the tube that normally would hold the injection. The fish was partially put under and the yogurt was forced into the digestive system thru the mouth by pushing down on the plunger. I never did this for raised scale but when a koi was not eating. Sometimes it appeared to work. Later
    when a fish was eating a few pellets but did not have it's appetite, we would soak regular pellets in a cup with clay (refresh) heavily stirred so it was absorbed in the food.
    To have made it thru the model T era.....makes one feel older than dirt. Least some of us made it thru unlike many of our koi.
    Dick Benbow

Tosai
    Does the fact that koi are cold blooded have any impact on the performance of the bacteria?

Raymond.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
    Does the fact that koi are cold blooded have any impact on the performance of the bacteria?

Raymond.

Raymond,

I assume you are referring to the bacteria in the gut. More to the point the effect of temperature on digestion is not so much the bacterial activity.

Additionally temperature and protein content are not correlated.

Where temperature has an effect is on the metabolic rate of the fish. Colder temps mean slower metabolic activity.

So at 72F the transit time through the gut is just over an hour and at 48F the transit time is 100 hours.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast