Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Feeding yogurt to Koi?

Tategoi

Feeding yogurt to Koi?

This seems like such a crazy idea, I am almost embarrassed by even daring to ask it....but here goes.....

Over at another parish, there is a member who is very enthusiastically promoting the idea of "probiotics" -- specifically yogurt -- in the feeding of Koi. Exactly how the yogurt would be fed to the Koi on a regular basis has not been fully explained, but in at least one "reported" instance, a Koi sick with dropsy was given liquid yogurt -- this liquid yogurt being fed orally to the fish via a needle-less syringe. Supposedly, this yogurt-feeding of Koi is a good thing, whether the fish is sick or healthy. The proponent of this yogurt idea is citing "Japanese breeders," as in "several Japanese breeders are doing this [feeding yogurt to Koi]."

Anyone else laughing yet?

The mods of this forum would probably be justified in pulling my membership just for asking about this idea, but hey -- I don't know everything. Maybe someone has tried it, and maybe there is some validity to the idea? Anyone know?

I am now bracing myself to suffer the slings and arrows of ridicule, however painful they may be......

Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    This seems like such a crazy idea, I am almost embarrassed by even daring to ask it....but here goes.....

Over at another parish, there is a member who is very enthusiastically promoting the idea of "probiotics" -- specifically yogurt -- in the feeding of Koi. Exactly how the yogurt would be fed to the Koi on a regular basis has not been fully explained, but in at least one "reported" instance, a Koi sick with dropsy was given liquid yogurt -- this liquid yogurt being fed orally to the fish via a needle-less syringe. Supposedly, this yogurt-feeding of Koi is a good thing, whether the fish is sick or healthy. The proponent of this yogurt idea is citing "Japanese breeders," as in "several Japanese breeders are doing this [feeding yogurt to Koi]."

Anyone else laughing yet?

The mods of this forum would probably be justified in pulling my membership just for asking about this idea, but hey -- I don't know everything. Maybe someone has tried it, and maybe there is some validity to the idea? Anyone know?

I am now bracing myself to suffer the slings and arrows of ridicule, however painful they may be......
    Did you know that MOST adult mammals are Lactose Intolerant?

"There is no question of lactose intolerance in the animal world. Most adult animals refuse to drink milk. Although many people give domesticated adult cats milk in the mistaken belief that it is needed, cats that drink milk often have diarrhea due to lactose intolerance."

So what about birds, reptiles, and fish, do you think yogurt made from cow's milk is going to be good for them?

BTW: According to the link above; "Some cultures, such as that of Japan, where dairy consumption has been on the increase compared with traditional dietary patterns, demonstrate a lower prevalence of lactose intolerance in spite of a genetic predisposition."

Another example where somebody thinks if something is good for them then it must be good for their pets.

Paul brace yourself real hard b/c I'm about to sling all of it at you!!!

OTOH I'm just going to pull your membership just like you wanted...damn I can't b/c I'm not a mod.

Just playing with you, I do not understand why that hobbyist fed their koi yogurt. Instead of that just do what I do and give them the probiotics pills.

Jumbo
    Momotaro used to mix natural yoghurt with pellets before feeding Koi.

Quote Originally Posted by markgardner View Post
    Momotaro used to mix natural yoghurt with pellets before feeding Koi.
    When you say "used to" does that mean he stopped or does that mean you arent sure if he still is but he definately was at some point?
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Jumbo
    Yes, I'm not sure of current feeding practices at Momotaro.

6 or 7 years ago there was a lady whose job was preparation of food for the 1500 ton ponds residents.

Such food included sweet potato, pumpkin, blocks of frozen shrimps and adding yoghurt to dry pellet foods.

Thanks for clarifying Mark!
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

With the advent of probiotics included in many feeds already, I get the sense that we're going back
    in time. Park your audi A6 at the curb and start driving a model T again,,,,Naw, I don't think so.

To your point Dick,

Did you know that squid meal is 80% protein and 97% digestible without probiotics.

Compair to soybean meal at 48% protein and 78% digestibility with probiotics.

Matt

Sansai
    Most likely a rumor started by the Yogurt industry. :-)

To me, adding yogurt, probiotics or other cultures like yeast to koi food would help if the koi had been affected by antibiotics, medicated foods, or other bacteria destroying medications like PP... but not much help if everything was already in balance. It would be like adding beneficial bacteria to a mature pond.

In the case cited where the koi was cured of dropsy... it could have helped if the koi's digestive tract had been destroyed with medications prior to the yogurt... or of course there is the chance it could have gotten better on its own. Hard to tell unless a controlled study was done because most anything can cure a disease once. Duplicating the effect is the hard part.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast