Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My koi die!!!!! Please help!!!!

Fry

My koi die!!!!! Please help!!!!

I don't know what to do!!!! My beautiful Koi is died and keep dieing. We had a power failed due to the Hurricane Irene last Sunday in about 2-3PM, every hour they promised me to restore the power.... but nothing is happened and is a result Monday morning we lost 4 of our Koi, I brought the back up generator and back washed my filter, Koi started to swim actively and everything seems ok, but yesterday morning I found 2 more, I been thinking that I just didn't see them because the water wasn't clear.... but this morning another one.... the water is clear, waterfall and filter are running..... I have about 20,000 gallons pond with 30 Koi fish, 18"-24" sizes.... I'm in shock... What to do? Please help!!!

Well you should check your ammonia and nitrite levels because it takes time for the filter to catch up. If you have high ammonia levels you'll need to get an ammonia binder such as Amquel. For high nitrites you can bring the salt levels up. Also stop feeding your koi for now. When you get a chance please post the dimensions of your pond a better description of your filtration system.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Fry

My koi die!!!!! Please help!!!!

Thank you very much for your help. How I can check ammonia and nitrite levels?

Nisai
    It's likely your bacteria in the bead filter died during the hurricane due to lack of oxygen. Check ammonia levels and other water parameters. I feel it's likely you have very high ammonia. Do a good-sized water change and and add an ammonia binder like amquel accordingly. Make sure everything is getting enough air.

For the next few days, keep an eye on the water quality (ph and ammonia). You may have to take the roll of your filter while it regains a good bacteria colony.

Sorry for your loss, I know how it feels.. Good luck, friend!

Nisai
    Ah, jnorth beat me to it!

Test kits in drop form (API brand) are readily available In petsmart since you might be in a hurry. They also carry amquel. Regardless, a water change would be beneficial right now.

Swordfish please take a few minutes to explain your koi keeping level to us so we don't assume you know something that you don't. I'm going to guess you are new to the hobby? Sunny is right that a water change is also in order but of course if you have chlorinated water (city water vs well water) you will need some dechlor which Amquel also does. Also those measurements will come in handy so we can determine if your pond is 20,000 gallons or maybe more or less than that. Anything like Amquel and salt needs to be measured and placed in the pond based on as accurate as possible gallonage. Sorry for your loss but take a deep breath and relax so we can work towards making sure the rest of them don't die.
    Koi-Unit
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Fry
    Thank you again for your respond everyone. I wish if I can have somebody professional like you close by. It seems like mostly people in my area care only to build the ponds or to sell something.... I'm really new to this, never had aquarium in my life. But we bought a house in Dec.'2009 with beautiful koi pond full of fish, the previous owner was relocating and force to live all koi to us... We really like it and enthusiastically started to take care our new pets.... We successfully went throw 2 very heavy winters, lost only one fish, even got little baby a few month ago.... but this year it's disaster, in the spring we lost one - stuck in the skimmer, another one probably was killed by raccoon.... and now this hurricane..... we lost 6 in 3 days.... it was my fault - I couldn’t find a back up generator... but it was Monday morning!!! Why its keep die... I already contact a few companies in my area to do a water testing and to change water. I'm going to petmart now to check if any tests I can do by myself..... My pond is 20,000 gallons, we have a well water.... If you want I can email some pictures...

Nisai
    sorry for your loss, I think you misunderstood what jnorth was asking. The experts really need some more information.... Things like, before you started loosing fish what things were you doing to the pond every week. IE; how often did you do water changes, how often backwashing filters and such. Because you mention that you don't have any test kits it sort of paints a picture that you got the pond in your house purchase but don't really know the things evey koi pond owner does to keep the pond and water in top condition. There may have been some other underlying problem that the loss of power tipped over the edge.

Fry
    We power washed and completely changed water last month, we run the water tests same time and everything was normal.... I'm backwashing filter everyday.... I'll be back soon with water test results.

Please post some photos to this thread. I'd love to see your pond. You can attach the photos when you reply.
    Koi-Unit
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast