Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Backyard Breeding

Post Backyard Breeding

Hi All

Im planning on doing some backyard breeding this year. I am in South Africa and its the start of spring. I have spawned my koi a couple of times already in the past but was wanting to try a new method this year. I want to handstrip the female, milk the male and then furtilize a limited amount of eggs.

The main reason for me doing it this way is because i have very limited grow on space and cant let all the eggs hatch. I also want to breed two males with a single female but want to separate the two batches - so i can know which is which. I have done hand stripping before but milking the male i havnt.

Another thing that is troubling me is about the eggs. They usually get sticky as soon as they come in contact with water or sperm as far as i know. So how do i mix the two together and keep it fluid enough so that i can distribute the eggs over media (strips of shade netting) that i will suspend into the water.

Hope you will be able to help.

Wayne

I have read articles in old Rinkos giving lots of detail on this, but I don't trust my memory to ive advice. Maybe Brett will come along.

Tosai
    Strip the eggs onto the media (they will stick to the media) and then strip the sperm onto the eggs. Mix to distribute the sperm over the eggs. You only have a few minutes to get the sperm onto the eggs before they harden(?). Then you can cut the media into strips or whatever you want to keep. I have watched Vance at Tank Hollow Fisheries do this process each year at our club's visit to his koi farm. I don't remember which chemicals he used to prepare the oyagoi, but the fish were very willing to donate their materials.

Raymond.

Thank you guys, i will apprciate any videos or reading material on this can i call it artificial way of fertilizing the eggs.

Any idea how to milk the male? Do i have to get him in the mood or something?

Backyard breeding is alot of work but i belive it is also key part of the hobby that everyone should atleast try once. I have entered some of my home breds into the local koi show and not done to badly.

Wayne

this is how all my new brood fish are spawned so i know how they perform and are all separated into bags and fetailized after running for one hour the female will be ready then as well as males will give milt more free flowing .
    this method has been sucessfull for over the last 20years in test spawns and new breeding projects .
    here's a few of this years pan spawnings !
    oh and my advice is use as many eggs are produced as they are all culls till you see what they have produced ,some may be totally bad and some very good to brilliant so as you can see I have a waste disposal unit to get rid of the culls or just use them on your veg patch ! you will have to switch off when culling and it is paramount to produceing quality fish I only keep 1% of any spawn this is my culling stratagy and works well as you don't want to waste space or time or food or electric on keeping rubbish ! end of enough said ! and its harder than it looks as many a time you get a stunning fish only to find a bent tail or fin !
    but you will find the good ones its what i do best its like pannin for gold and in a way it is !lol !!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Backyard Breeding-dsc01729.jpg   Backyard Breeding-dsc01736.jpg   Backyard Breeding-dsc01709.jpg   Backyard Breeding-dsc01681.jpg   Backyard Breeding-dsc01711.jpg  

Backyard Breeding-dsc01740.jpg   Backyard Breeding-dsc01672.jpg   Backyard Breeding-dsc01722.jpg   Backyard Breeding-dsc01417.jpg   Backyard Breeding-dsc01626.jpg  

Backyard Breeding-dsc01622.jpg   Backyard Breeding-dsc01301.jpg   Backyard Breeding-dsc01437.jpg   Backyard Breeding-dsc01787.jpg   Backyard Breeding-dsc02060.jpg  

Wayne: The eggs are expressed from the female into a perfectly dry bowl. Metal bowls like those used with an electric mixer seem to do well. The eggs do not stick until water is present. They can be separated into multiple containers. The milt is separately expressed from the male(s), mixed with the eggs to get nearly complete fertilization, and then the fertilized eggs are dispersed in water containing the spawning media. There are more details I cannot reliably recall. I seem to remember something about some breeders using saline solution in the process, but I don't recall what that was about... seems to me it would cause the eggs to become sticky. It is important that the eggs be spread around to minimize sticking to each other, promoting the spread of fungus and bacteria. Use of methylene blue or the like helps reduce fungusing. Some breeders place the oyagoi together to get them in the mood, then do the stripping before actual spawning begins. There must be info sheets from aquaculture agencies and schools about the process. It is not limited to koi.

Thank you guys, i remember seeing vid on it. I think i am roughly a month away from starting with this. I have all my equipment ready already, just waiting on the weather now.

Your help is really appreciatted.

Hand stripping vs natural breeding will always have some arguement around the pros and cons. I have seen failures and injuries to females using both methods and have read/heard the same. I still prefer to use a natural approach.

As far as using two different males goes, I do this approach myself most years. In order ot do it, two separate spawning tanks are prepared & the female is moved to the second tank part way through the spawn with the second male.

I have done the natural way a few times before, so would you personally consider it safer than the other method?

hand stripping

Just Take care and be confident and if the fish don't flow then don't froce it ! run the fish spawning in the tank for one hour to two and the males to be stripped ,handel carefully and no damage will happen also knockout and clean equipment is paramount and wet towels rung out as water is the catalist ,also the plastic bag method is easy and you only need two mins contact time with milt and water added + milk I use this for home made zug jars or eggs in floating nets in vats ,the eggs will be free flowing and kept in suispention from a airline in the pop bottle lid ,easy to make your own and you get a good hatch this way also if you want a bigger hatch rate keep eggs and milt together dry for 15 mins !