Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: pond pump?

Nisai

pond pump?

I have a 3/4 hp motor....is there anywhere to buy the impeller and case side of a pump to attach onto my motor? I was just curious. I looked around on the internet but perhaps I wasnt searching the right keywords? any help would be great. if not.....*Want To Sell 3/4 HP Motor* lol

Quote Originally Posted by hulsey View Post
    I have a 3/4 hp motor....is there anywhere to buy the impeller and case side of a pump to attach onto my motor? I was just curious. I looked around on the internet but perhaps I wasnt searching the right keywords? any help would be great. if not.....*Want To Sell 3/4 HP Motor* lol
    The only "help" I can give you is to forget about trying to save an energy hog 3/4 hp pump motor.

You will save money by buying a new more energy efficient pump.

Nisai
    yea guess Ill just sell that motor and make some $ for a new spare pump. tyvm

Nisai
    Check EBay and if I may, consider switching over to the Intellifo Pentair pump, it is a variable speed and will run from 1300 RPM and the way to 3450. They are listed on EBay and will save you a ton in $, pump pays for itslef within a few months. Starite & Hayward also have them.

Quote Originally Posted by thefishlady View Post
    Check EBay and if I may, consider switching over to the Intellifo Pentair pump, it is a variable speed and will run from 1300 RPM and the way to 3450. They are listed on EBay and will save you a ton in $, pump pays for itslef within a few months. Starite & Hayward also have them.
    You learn something new every day!

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by thefishlady View Post
    Hi Barbara:

These look like nice pumps, but if what I'm seeing is accurate (http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/intelliflosvrsB.pdf), you can't even use this pump above 1500 rpm unless you have more than 20' of head pressure?

For a 7500 gallon pond turning over once an hour (pretty slow), we'd be looking for about 125 gpm. At 3110 rpm, it would deliver that against 45' of head pressure. At 3450, it would require about 65' of head!

I know you run a lot of sand filters, but unless I'm missing something here, it seems like most folks with lower head systems would find these pumps either winding up so fast that they're constantly triggering the thermal cutoff switch, or dialed back so low that 90% of the pumps capacity is unused.

Set me straight?

-t

Tosai
    Very interesting, but on a side note, anyone know about that flow meter used in the video Rickshaw posted ?

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by 14CARAT View Post
    Very interesting, but on a side note, anyone know about that flow meter used in the video Rickshaw posted ?
    Looks like a "blue white flowmeter". I have one... the only problem is that you need a substantial amount of straight pipe before and after the meter to get accurate readings. I could never find a long enough straight pipe to mount it. Here is a link:
    Aquatic Eco for flow meter

We had a presentation on variable speeds pumps at one of our koi meetings. Might be useful in some instances in a higher pressure system. Unfortunately, the company rep was unfamiliar with ponds and/or low pressure systems and couldn't answer most of our questions.

I use three 1/8 hp pumps and each pump 60 gpm at 7' of head... and only use 200 watts each. Since none of my 3 circuits come close to 7' of head, I'm moving more than 180 gpm for 600 watts. My initial cost of all 3 pumps was more, but as the video suggests, it doesn't take long to make up the difference... especially at my rates of .31/kwh.

Best to find the pump that fits your particular needs best. Initial cost, running costs, redundancy, noise, and of course performance that matches your pond design are all factors to consider.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
    Looks like a "blue white flowmeter". I have one... the only problem is that you need a substantial amount of straight pipe before and after the meter to get accurate readings. I could never find a long enough straight pipe to mount it. Here is a link:
    Aquatic Eco for flow meter

We had a presentation on variable speeds pumps at one of our koi meetings. Might be useful in some instances in a higher pressure system. Unfortunately, the company rep was unfamiliar with ponds and/or low pressure systems and couldn't answer most of our questions.

I use three 1/8 hp pumps and each pump 60 gpm at 7' of head... and only use 200 watts each. Since none of my 3 circuits come close to 7' of head, I'm moving more than 180 gpm for 600 watts. My initial cost of all 3 pumps was more, but as the video suggests, it doesn't take long to make up the difference... especially at my rates of .31/kwh.

Best to find the pump that fits your particular needs best. Initial cost, running costs, redundancy, noise, and of course performance that matches your pond design are all factors to consider.
    Thanks Steve, those flowmeters are very reasonably priced.
    I found a similiar one at McMaster Carr.It's listed in middle of page as Flowmeters for PVC pipe
    McMaster-Carr

Nisai
    Good point you bring up, I installed 44 of these pump in since 2010, all of them on sand filters; none on bio filters or gravity fed type filters. I do have some of the pumps running low. For example on my own pond, it runs at 2200 RPM approximately and honestly, I have no clue how many GPM are passing through. All I know is that the flow is sufficient to maintain a good waterfall flow, in pond returns and the water is crystal. I have 2 850 Lbs sand filters in tandem and then the water splits to the pond a 3 rd 500 Lbs sand filter filled w/K1 media instead. I only use the 4th speed which then is 350 RPM - equivalent to 3 HP when I backwash the filters weekly. I only clear the K1 monthly as it never gets very dirty.
    Call Pentair for more technical details.