Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: koi breeding attempt

Nisai

koi breeding attempt

im having a blast this season with breeding, i have access to 4 mud ponds that i am currently using. i spawned showa, yamabuki, kohaku, and ochiba females on memorial day weekend. heres a few pics please feel free to give me the good the bad and the ugly.
    thanks
    ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails koi breeding attempt-2011-koi-breeding-pics-007.jpg   koi breeding attempt-2011-koi-breeding-pics-044.jpg   koi breeding attempt-2011-koi-breeding-pics-022.jpg   koi breeding attempt-2011-koi-breeding-pics-069.jpg   koi breeding attempt-2011-koi-breeding-pics-105.jpg  

koi breeding attempt-2011-koi-breeding-pics-117.jpg   koi breeding attempt-2011-koi-breeding-pics-110.jpg   koi breeding attempt-2011-koi-breeding-pics-125.jpg   koi breeding attempt-2011-koi-breeding-pics-130.jpg   koi breeding attempt-2011-koi-breeding-pics-131.jpg  

koi breeding attempt-2011-koi-breeding-pics-149.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ben5020 View Post
    im having a blast this season with breeding, i have access to 4 mud ponds that i am currently using. i spawned showa, yamabuki, kohaku, and ochiba females on memorial day weekend. heres a few pics please feel free to give me the good the bad and the ugly.
    thanks
    ben
    > the good the bad and the ugly

The good? CONGRATULATIONS Ben!! Good job and have fun!

The ugly? Don't be afraid to cull a LOT of the fish in pictures #2 & #3.

I wish I have access to a mud pond. I only have 1,000 gallons to work with for my sanke spawn. Your ochiba shigures looked the best in terms of body development. I like the showas as well. How big are they? Do you have photos of the their parents?

Thanks for sharing,
    Sunny

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    > the good the bad and the ugly

The good? CONGRATULATIONS Ben!! Good job and have fun!

The ugly? Don't be afraid to cull a LOT of the fish in pictures #2 & #3.
    I didn't listen too well when I was told by professionals to put one or two bags of fry from each spawn in the ponds, I have culled pond #1 about six times and there has to be 50k+- still in there, yamabuki and Showa spawn were in pond 1, as for now I'm pretty much done feeding, they have hit a peak in growth and all I'm doing is wasting money on food.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    I wish I have access to a mud pond. I only have 1,000 gallons to work with for my sanke spawn. Your ochiba shigures looked the best in terms of body development. I like the showas as well. How big are they? Do you have photos of the their parents?

Thanks for sharing,
    Sunny
    I am very fortunate to have these mud ponds, if not for the mud I wouldn't be doing it. The ochibas and mukashi ogon seem to be the largest, some Showa are of good size as well, kohaku are doing ok with growth but not what I was expecting. They are averaging 5" some are still tiny and some are pushing 8", I will try and post some pics of the parents that were used sometime this weekend
    Ben

was curious as to how you selected the color varieties you did? Availability of parents?

Even the best looking parents don't always "click" when it comes to producing.

I think as you invest the time in years you'll find what to do. As a rule of thumb it takes about 5 years of breeding a pair to know exactly what they are capable of producing and makes for easier culling as you know what to look for from previous generations.

Suggestion: Since it's hard for you not to over crowd your ponds, why don't you
    stay with one parent set and spread their young around to all ponds. you'll get better growth and have an opportunity to understand what they are capable of producing. Of all you've done so far, I'd suggest maybe looking at showa.
    Dick Benbow

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    was curious as to how you selected the color varieties you did? Availability of parents?

Even the best looking parents don't always "click" when it comes to producing.

I think as you invest the time in years you'll find what to do. As a rule of thumb it takes about 5 years of breeding a pair to know exactly what they are capable of producing and makes for easier culling as you know what to look for from previous generations.

Suggestion: Since it's hard for you not to over crowd your ponds, why don't you
    stay with one parent set and spread their young around to all ponds. you'll get better growth and have an opportunity to understand what they are capable of producing. Of all you've done so far, I'd suggest maybe looking at showa.
    I had a Showa,yamabuki,kohaku and ochiba female,
    Showa was all Showa males
    Yamabuki was mukashi ogon, doitsu orengi ogon,kujaku(which turned out being female) so then I put my male Showa in the mix
    Kohaku was all kohaku males
    Ochiba was ginrin ochiba, doitsu ochiba, doitsu kohaku which didn't want to perform so I put a male kohaku in his place
    For some reason I had a tough time finding males so I used what I could get. As for all of the varities thats what my intentions were, variety sells, maybe in the future I will go with more true breeding

Nisai
    It has been a Pretty successful season for me and would love to get some feedback from the pros of bito, I will try and post some pics of the babies that I brought home and put in the greenhouse(I must be nuts because I built a greenhouse for these little guys), maybe this weekend I will get pics of the parents and post as well. This is a learning experience for me and I would love to have any good or bad response from you guys and gals.
    Thanks
    Ben

Oyagoi
    I been away for awhile but check by now and again.

Looks to be a good example of what to expect from a breeding of pond koi. There will be a few jewels to be sure, but most of whats in the pics aren't them.

I agree with above comment of concentrating on only one variety, to the point of stocking the rearing ponds at much lower densities. Growth and development will be better and the "jewels" much more common. Do not expect to get rich.

The economy, the hurricane and the drought killed my project, a few years ago I had about 50 acres of mud ponds, all in the production of koi. Now I've a dry 30 acre reservoir and 50 acres of dry ponds. We've rebuilt much of the farm, installed new 12 inch pump on the bayou ($45K and 234,000 gph), and fixed a lot of the ponds. But we still need rainfall to fill it up and a decent market for the fish.

I'll be back into koi to some degree, but sadly probably never again like it once was. It was an honor and a privilege to be part of the "Golden years of koi." I hope they return at some point.

I really, really miss it and posts like this let me go back there vicariously.

If this is done again and again and again, you will learn much and see your efforts improve as you learn more and more as you go. Great attempt, keep trying.

Brett
    Brett

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbreeder View Post
    I been away for awhile but check by now and again.

Looks to be a good example of what to expect from a breeding of pond koi. There will be a few jewels to be sure, but most of whats in the pics aren't them.

I agree with above comment of concentrating on only one variety, to the point of stocking the rearing ponds at much lower densities. Growth and development will be better and the "jewels" much more common. Do not expect to get rich.

The economy, the hurricane and the drought killed my project, a few years ago I had about 50 acres of mud ponds, all in the production of koi. Now I've a dry 30 acre reservoir and 50 acres of dry ponds. We've rebuilt much of the farm, installed new 12 inch pump on the bayou ($45K and 234,000 gph), and fixed a lot of the ponds. But we still need rainfall to fill it up and a decent market for the fish.

I'll be back into koi to some degree, but sadly probably never again like it once was. It was an honor and a privilege to be part of the "Golden years of koi." I hope they return at some point.

I really, really miss it and posts like this let me go back there vicariously.

If this is done again and again and again, you will learn much and see your efforts improve as you learn more and more as you go. Great attempt, keep trying.

Brett
    Hi Brett,
    Thanks for your complete honesty, I will post some pics hopefully by the weekend. I spoke with you over the summer when I was visiting my father in corpus Christi, tx and it was a great pleasure to listen and learn from you. When I post pics I hope you as well as others chime in and tell me what's good and what's not with my first year at larger scale spawning
    Thank
    Ben

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast