Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Home breeding - final selection

Tosai

Home breeding - final selection

Hello,

My home bred koi are now 4 months old, I would like to make my final selection. Can you help me on wich koi I should keep?

Thanks in advance!!

Here you can find their development from day 1 till now.
    MrBelkoi's Channel - YouTube

you've done an good job of breeding some very nice koi. kudos.....

In the opening shot you could see koi with brighter beni...chances are they are gonna turn out male. Me doing the culling these would be re-homed earlier
    than what i would expect their softer benied sisters would be.

Some of the kohaku with beni in the tail, you should expect that about half of that pulls forward in growth but depending on space available they might be suspect to rehome as well along with the brothers. sad as many had nice bodied patterns.

I love the simple sanke pattern of the koi that appears 8:03 into your video.
    If I was culling that would would be set aside to grow on for myself.

thanks for sharing
    Dick Benbow

Tosai
    Thanks for taking the time to watch the movie and for your comments Dick.
    I didn't know the difference in beni quality between male and female baby koi was already this good visible at this age.
    I thougt one type of beni came from the female oyagoi (Yamatoya) and the other type came from the male oyagoi (Momotaro).
    This gives me an other look at the baby's...

The sanke you mentioned is indeed a keeper. I watched it for hours because sometimes I think there is something wrong with the head, but it's just imagination because the maruten spot is not in the center.

Here are some pictures of my short list... the 2 tancho's (big and small) are keepers! Then a kohaku with an unusual pattern but beautifull skin quality. THen 3 sankes. The first has a very shiny skin, the second a beautifull pattern (i want to grow him on to see what it gives), the third sanke with very deep beni and strait cut kiwa. And finaly 3 kohaku's. The last one has a very shiny skin but the male type of beni.

Last two pictures are the male parent koi (Momotaro).
    Also visible on this video from minute 2m40s till 3m20s
    http://www.youtube.com/user/KoiKeepe.../0/TEMzAqNgoRQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home breeding - final selection-sized_p1040244.jpg   Home breeding - final selection-sized_p1040279.jpg   Home breeding - final selection-sized_p1040282.jpg   Home breeding - final selection-sized_p1040299.jpg   Home breeding - final selection-sized_p1040379.jpg  

Home breeding - final selection-sized_p1040334.jpg   Home breeding - final selection-sized_p1040325.jpg   Home breeding - final selection-sized_p1040256.jpg   Home breeding - final selection-sized_p1040248.jpg   Home breeding - final selection-16986_nissaikohaku21200.jpg  

Home breeding - final selection-16990_nissaisanke1200.jpg  

Hi Dirk,

Wow!!! These are incredible fish. Good job on raising them in your backyard. You have to tell us the secret of raising them to look so nice. This was my first year of attempting to breed my koi as well. The sankes I bred do not come close to the quality of your fish, but they are educational to me. The bodies of your fish are amazing. How big are they? Also, the shiroji quality on your sankes is very impressive. I watched the video several times and still was not able to strike out too many of them, but here are some of my favorites: 2, 3, 4, 7, 12, 13*, 18, 24, 27 and 29. I struck out anything that appeared to have short bodies because they will not grow very well. Unfortunately, #32 sanke appeared to have that body type.

The beni on your kohakus looked fairly thick, but the kiwa is a little scattered. Any concern about some of them loosing their beni in the near future? Or is this what Maruzome kiwa looks like at this stage?

Please keep us posted. I am always happy to see what others are doing in their backyard. Very nice video. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Sunny

Tosai
    To be honest, this is the first time I am able to produce this quality. Since I start with only 5000 fry or so I think the result is quite good. This is a promising combination of oyagoi (for me).

The video was taken when they were 4months + 3 days old. Their average lenght is about 20-22cm now, the benigois are 25-26cm and the smalest ones are 10-12cm (tancho - nr5).
    I have no idea if the kiwa will get better or not. If you see the harvests in Japan the kiwa is much better when they come out of the mudponds.
    My fish have been kept at 23°C since birth, the last two weeks they are at 20°. They are raised inside in a 2500liter tank.
    I am planning on putting some in the main pond to see their development (first I need a cover because there are a lot of blue herons out here who visit my pond regularly)
    For the ones inside the temperature will be dropped further and the number of feedings reduced to see if beni improves on some of them.

Overall best quality among the home-breds posted on the board the past few months. Congrats! ...perhaps emphasizing that better quality parents will give better quality offspring?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Overall best quality among the home-breds posted on the board the past few months. Congrats! ...perhaps emphasizing that better quality parents will give better quality offspring?
    I agree Mike...very good quality and even better raising skills. The size and quality of those tosais can pass for fish that were raised by professional breeders. After seeing Dirk's fish...Now, I am too embarassed to update the sanke tosais that I bred this Spring.

Sunny

Tosai
    I think there is a great deal of luck (90%) involved in selecting the parents and finding a match that gives some decent ofspring. We don't have the experience or the knowledge (and history) of the bloodlines as the Japanese breeders have.

Next year I would like to try breeding showa. I have a nice Isa Male, but have no idea if I can match him with a Dainichi / Oomo or Yamatoya female. I think Isa has its own bloodline, pherhaps I should try to find a nice Isa female to match...

Wow, seriously, well done! I am by no means an expert but for kohaku I like #7 and the bodies of #14 and #15 are impressive. #15 was probably my favorite. For sanke I really liked #27.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    ...perhaps emphasizing that better quality parents will give better quality offspring?
    certainly is the case here!

i like the last 2 kohaku in the pictures