Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Marudo

Marudo

Tara has asked about "Marudo bloodline" in a couple of threads, so I thought I would start a new thread 'for all things Marudo'.

My thoughts, subject to correction by those with real knowledge, are based on bits and pieces of information picked up from reading and the boards. Perhaps Mark Gardner will come along and give the real scoop.

I do not believe there is a Marudo bloodline per se. Marudo trained and worked at Dainichi for a very long time. I believe he began with Dainichi-bred oyagoi. However, my impression is that he gets new oyagoi from different sources in the quest for continual improvement. So, I do not think the term 'Marudo bloodline' has any meaning. Marudo has gained a reputation of producing large volumes of koi (by Niigata standards any way) and also having some very good ones each year. But, does not seem to produce koi able to gain GC at the biggest shows in Japan. There is always next year, of course.

Jumbo
    When discussing who has won the GC prize at top level in Japan we are talking a relatively small number, certainly in recent years. There are many quality breeders who haven't won at that level, however Marudo has, the 25th ZNA and runner up at the 34th.

Whilst the origins of Marudo Koi are indeed Dainichi (most have a bit of Dainichi of course) they've latterly added Sakai Hiroshima, likewise have many.

I believe the 3rd largest farm in Niigata in terms of production after Dainichi and Marusei.

Marudo is my personal number 1 breeder in Niigata.

I suspect that we'll see Marudo taking Nogyosai GC in the next couple of years.

Read my interview with Hisashi Hirasawa here in Issue 1 - Niigata Nishikigoi Digest | Niigata-Nishikigoi.com
    Mark Gardner

Thank you, Mark. I read your interview when it was first published and enjoyed reading it again. It was good to be reminded that Hirasawa-san considers Sanke his most accomplished variety. I think of Kohaku as much as Sanke when I think of Marudo, but that is based on what I see with U.S. dealers. I would say that among breeders of the high quality Kohaku imported to the U.S., Marudo is among the top, as well as Sanke.

A couple of questions:

When you predict a Nogyosai GC, is there a particular koi in mind?

What would you say are distinguishing characteristics of Marudo Sanke compared to the Sanke of SFF, Momotaro, Yamamatsu and Shintaro?

Jumbo
    Mike

Not really any particular Koi in mind. A couple to share though:

In this post you'll find a couple of last year's Nogyosai entries, both a bit small to challenge - Afternoon with Jeroen van Keulen | Niigata-Nishikigoi.com

Of course Marudo was also runner up at the Nagaoka Show the week before the Nogyosai - Ikarashi Kazuto takes Grand Champion at Nagaoka Koi Show | Niigata-Nishikigoi.com

At the Nogyosai itself they took best in 80bu with the Sanke in the first post - All the major winners from the 2010 Niigata Nogyosai | Niigata-Nishikigoi.com

There is also a very nice Kohaku that they have (i think it's still there) - Some contenders for the Nogyosai title | Niigata-Nishikigoi.com

I think if we look at the Sanke pictured at the above links they appear to be very different, the one at the Nagaoka Show looks Matsunosuke-esque, the one at the Nogyosai more Sakai/Dainichi-esque.

Very good. Those links pretty much demonstrate that Marudo Sanke are a blend of types with some significant variation. All beautiful.