Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Albino in the gene pool is rather odd.

No Albino in the gene pool is rather odd.

Leucism is a reduction of pigmentation. The result is a paler colour expression. It differs to an albino in that albinism is the reduced production of melanin (black) pigment only, whereas Leucism is the reduction of all pigment types. Therefore, when other pigment colours are present and the black is absent, the colour can be a pale, for example, the yellow colour as in Kigoi. Note: A true albino can be identified by its red eyes, otherwise it is simply a pale yellow koi,

What I continue to find interesting about the Australian gene pool, is what is absent. We have the leucalistic gene expression, but not albino, which is in repsect to the above, a type of leucism. I am not aware of any albino koi in Australia. I find this odd, as in the rest of the animal kingdom, this mutation is common. Perhaps it has appeared in the Oz gene pool in the past, but was culled. Or perhaps it appeared, but was never line bred and hence disappeared again?

Tosai
    i have to admit that this actually made me laugh to have just realized.. well i'm pretty sure it's not only in australia..

Quote Originally Posted by mrbradleybradley View Post

What I continue to find interesting about the Australian gene pool, is what is absent. We have the leucalistic gene expression, but not albino, which is in repsect to the above, a type of leucism. I am not aware of any albino koi in Australia. I find this odd, as in the rest of the animal kingdom, this mutation is common.
    Really?

With so many established mutations, how do you explain the lack of albinism in the very common Australian domesticated Zebra finch?

I think no all white Albino mutation in the Koi gene pool is not that uncommon.

Common, not the genetic rule. And what is more, the albino mutation already exists in koi, just no in this isolated gene pool.

I am not aware of the finch hobby and what they are up to in the gene pool, but here is a link to a website on Albino Zebra Finches.

Albino Society Finch

Common, not the genetic rule. And what is more, the albino mutation already exists in koi, just no in this isolated gene pool.

I am not aware of the finch hobby and what they are up to in the gene pool, but here is a link to a website on Albino Zebra Finches.

Albino Society Finch
    I keep and breed Australian finches and am well aware which species have an Albino mutation.

Your link is for an Albino Society (Bengalese) finch (not uncommon), not the Zebra finch.
    There have been reports of "Albino" Zebra finches, but as the author of the web site says; "True Albino Zebras have been reported, but apparently they are quite rare for I have never seen a photo, or birds offered for sale."
    I believe that most Albino Zebra finch reports are misidentified white Zebra finches which are common.

Does anybody have a picture or link to a white Albino Koi fish?
    Last edited by ricshaw; 09-27-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: white Albino Koi fish

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I keep and breed Australian finches and am well aware which species have an Albino mutation.

Your link is for an Albino Society (Bengalese) finch (not uncommon), not the Zebra finch.
    There have been reports of "Albino" Zebra finches, but as the author of the web site says; "True Albino Zebras have been reported, but apparently they are quite rare for I have never seen a photo, or birds offered for sale."
    I believe that most Albino Zebra finch reports are misidentified white Zebra finches which are common.

Does anybody have a picture or link to a white Albino Koi fish?
    Happy to be corrected on the Zebra finch thing, I will stick to with koi. I was shown a link a of a shiro muji on youtube that was said to be a red eye white ablino - but without seeing a close up of the eye.................... Of course, an albino does not need to be white to be an albino. The akame kigoi is obvious. In koi, the white version of albino is probably absent. I don't really understand why we came to white albino, as the observation was about the absence of albino in an isolated gene pool.
    Last edited by mrbradleybradley; 09-27-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: additional info

Happy to be corrected on the Zebra finch thing, I will stick to with koi. I was shown a link a of a shiro muji on youtube that was said to be a red eye white ablino - but without seeing a close up of the eye.................... Of course, an albino does not need to be white to be an albino. The akame kigoi is obvious. In koi, the white version of albino is probably absent. I don't really understand why we came to white albino, as the observation was about the absence of albino in an isolated gene pool.
    Back to the topic.
    I misunderstood your original statement and thought that you were talking about a white albino Koi.
    I agree that an albino does not have to be an all white red-eye, but that is what most people think when they see the word "albino".
    The non-white albinos are usually given names like "ino", "lutino", "Kigoi", etc.
    In the case of Koi... we do have the red-eyed Kigoi and Australia does not.
    I bought one this year for only $US30.00. I was pleased to see that there were several for sale at that price.
    I guess it might be possible to cross the recessive Kigoi mutation with something like Kohaku and get a red-eyed Shiro Muji.

ahhh, back to the same path.

Maybe Mark or some of the other guys who frequent the Japanese Breeders can help answer the appearance or not of a shiroji albino?

I have seen photos of true complete albino red eyed white koi. Aka Me Shiro Muji but have never seen one in person.

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    I have seen photos of true complete albino red eyed white koi. Aka Me Shiro Muji but have never seen one in person.
    Thanks Ray

I would suspect that the white albino is likely more common, but like alot of albino, they can carry other health issues. So perhaps they die fairly early on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast