Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: My Dainichi tosai grow out

Sansai

My Dainichi tosai grow out

I have change bought some fish from Dainichi' in Houston, Texas this Spring 2011. Just take some pictures of them, those fish around 15in to 16in. Let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Dainichi tosai grow out-photo-3.jpg   My Dainichi tosai grow out-showa1.jpg   My Dainichi tosai grow out-photo-1.jpg  

Very interesting markings. Nice.

The middle Showa has quite a nice body for this size. You have grown her well. She will improve over the next year. I would keep her.

The first one bothers my eye for some reason. It may be the photo angle. There is much more sumi development to come, and it will obliterate the Hi pattern. I like the thickness of the tail, but I'm wondering if this is a male. Don't know. Just something bothers my eye.

The photo of the third one is not good enough for me to be comfortable commenting.

I enjoy raising some tosai over the summer. If one pleases me enough to stay a second year, I consider it a real success.

Sansai
    Thank you, Mike. I got some more picture but can't up load. I think this showa is "goshiki showa" sumi not strong but It cover almost shiro of this fish. The first ones look like a kogomo showa type?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Dainichi tosai grow out-photo-3.jpg  

The trouble with raising tosai showa is it takes so long for the true end results to be known. 5-6 years maybe. especially if you have specialty crosses like koromo and goshiki as their refinement needs time to come to completion. still why be in a hurry, except that most of us have limited space which causes us to make hastier decisions then maybe we should be.

Sansai

new pictures

Which ones is keeper? all of them about 15", only kohaku is 12". Many thank to Ryan and Tom for this batch of Dainichi's tosai.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Dainichi tosai grow out-p1030255.jpg   My Dainichi tosai grow out-p1030265.jpg   My Dainichi tosai grow out-p1030263.jpg   My Dainichi tosai grow out-p1030269.jpg   My Dainichi tosai grow out-p1030268.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by nguyen4 View Post
    Which ones is keeper? all of them about 15", only kohaku is 12". Many thank to Ryan and Tom for this batch of Dainichi's tosai.
    Hello Nguyen,

Did these fish come Houston this Spring? If so, I think I may have seem them and met you at Brother Tom's house. Why are you trying to cull them so early? They all looked fantastic. You did a good job raising them so far. I would keep them a couple more years to see their development...patient Brother! From your photos, my favorite fish is the second showa(sandan). They all have great qualities, including shiroji, beni, and body. For the showas and sanke, sumi is finishing slowly...so you have to be patient. That is the allure of the two varieties.

However, if you must get rid of some of these, please let me know. I just cut 1/3 of the population of my pond, but I would be glad slash some more to create room for any of these.

Best Regards,
    Sunny