Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Nexus Problem

Nexus Problem

I'm having a problem with a nexus where the water in the internal chamber will be a lot higher than the one in the bio outer chamber. After cleaning the static chamber it's OK with about 1-2" of difference but by the end of the next day there will be a significant diff. in the water level in both chambers. If I don't clean it for 2 days, the water feeding the pump in the outer chamber will be minimal where if I were to leave it for another day with out cleaning it will starve the pump.

I've been using the same sequence pump for the last 5 years so it not that the pump is too strong for it.

Any ideas???

Need to fix this issue b/f I leave on a trip...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus Problem-picture-450.jpg  

I have had two different things cause this. The first is the obvious.... too much algae glarf gets captured by the central EAzy unit resulting in insufficient flow to the outer chamber. The solution is to either get used to frequent cleanings or modify your system to capture more waste in a settlement chamber or sieve before the water gets to the Nexus.

I suspect your problem may be caused by the other thing that's happened to me. The K-1 gets caught between the inner and outer chambers in the "kiss-points" down inside the Nexus unit. The solution is to turn off the pump and let both chambers fill up, and turn off all air. Then insert the pipe used to cut-off the connection between the chambers, like you do when you 'boil' the EAzy. Then empty the central chamber. Then remove the pipe so water from the outer chamber floods into the central chamber. This will 'backwash' K-1 caught in the "kisspoints" into the central chamber... along with a bunch of gunk. You'll see the K-1 in the central pipe connecting the chambers. (Return it to outer chamber where it belongs.)

I've probably not explained this well, but give it a try and you'll figure it out.

Since this first happened to me, I perform this "backwash" procedure as part of my regular weekly routine. No blockage has occurred again, but I often get some K-1 dislodged when doing it, so I think I'd get another blockage if I did not do it at least every 4-6 weeks. I contacted EA about my experience. They provided immediate guidance, so it seems it has happened to others. There was a suggestion that air flow into the outer chamber might be too strong.

I perform what Mike described periodically as well (be sure you have the air off, otherwise you will just cause more K-1 to get caught in the kiss points). This helps clear any K-1 that may have overflowed from the center EAzy area and got lodged in the kiss points on the center side. I also perform the opposite periodically. I put the center pipe in place, drain the outer chamber down then pull the pipe so that water rushes from the center chamber to the outer chamber. This helps clear K-1 that got caught from the outer fluid bed area.
    Henry

Orlando, FL

Sansai
    I do the same procedures and added another to help dislodge any K1 stuck at that kiss point. I shut off the pumps and let the water level rise until the flow stops. Then I use the center cleanout pipe as a plunger by putting my palm over the top to seal it and push it up and down in the center chamber a couple times. This action dislodges media that is stuck at the bottom of the chamber. After plunging... let it sit for a minute with no flow to let the K1 slowly float to the top. Move them to the correct chamber and restart your pumps. Takes longer to explain it than to do it, but I was surprised at how much media gets stuck between those chambers.

Edit: I want to add that your picture shows quite a bit of algae or gunk buildup on the outside of the EAsy chamber. I clean that whole static chamber rigorously with chlorinated hose water and a brush. It is not used for bio, so my static K1 looks like new and the chamber shines.

Thanks guys, I understand completely what you meant Mike. I'll try it later today.

Henry, great to see you a couple of days ago.

If I'm not able to correct this problem, I was gonna put the Answer back on so the pump won't starve. Can't go to Ojiya worrying about this.