Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: New pond construction

New pond construction

I posted before but I think in the wrong place.
    Can someone tell me if 2 BD is enough for a pond in the planning stage?
    Size: 7.4m x 11m x 1.8 deep. 22 x 33 x 5.4 '
    Rectangular with rounded corners.

I think some of our more engineering-oriented posters need to comment.

I would want to know more about your overall filtration plan. Two bottom drains, if 4-inch diameter pipe is being used, will likely gravity flow about 6,000 gallons per hour. If the pond bottom is saucered, that might be enough for removal of debris with current designed appropriately. But, it would not be much flow if that is your total filtration system. For typical stocking levels, the 'rule of thumb' is to have an absolute minimum of 50% of pond volume flow through the filtration system each hour. It is preferable to have the entire pond volume filtered in an hour or less. If your design is not highly efficient (and very few folks have highly efficient designs), I think it likely you will need more bottom drains.

BTW, the width of your pond will cause issues when it comes to catching koi and designing currents to move debris toward the bottom drains. Look around for Steve Childers' articles on "It's A System" that appeared in KoiUSA. He pulled together a great deal of learning from folks' experiences to give an approach to pond design that works.

Thanks Mike!
    It is a complicated pond, that needs to be done with a very primitive filtration.
    It is actually two ponds next to each other almost the same.So if I design one the other one will follow..
    I found a very large pond in the plot I just bought...21x33x4' deep, which I wan t to divide, into 2 ponds one wide 4m=12' and the other 3m=9'
    I am still researching and trying to consider all the factors in play...
    Posted on 2 places and I am getting a bit here a bit there.I am desperate to get all the best advise I can. Just that this is my second pond to build within a year and I dont want to mess this one as well and I have no one to ask here and being a woman it does not help.....
    Just finished the filtration of my badly constructed pond, unsuitable for Koi.
    Yes I agree it is a system....Too many things to consider....
    This is basically what I want to do:
    top : Koi pond
    bottom water garden. Independent when need be with filtration less in the WG.
    Like the small drawing but my skimmers will be in different places...
    Double TPR every where ...lower and higher and some GPR's too.
    Rounded corners and a baffle to split the flow opposite the jet dividing the BD.
    I am still planning... not yet decided it all.
    I am not worried about catching them. I made a DIY herd net.
    Any advise will be highly appreciated.
    My pictures are not going...
    http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/attach...1&d=1320255837
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New pond construction-ttt.jpg  

I have read discussions about having two circular flows in opposite directions as you indicate in your drawing. But, I have not seen such a system in operation. So, I do not know what it takes to have such a system work as intended.

The best overall hobbyist koi pond in actual operation is, IMO and observation, that of HenryC. I'll bump up a thread on his pond build. Perhaps his design will assist you.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I have read discussions about having two circular flows in opposite directions as you indicate in your drawing. But, I have not seen such a system in operation. So, I do not know what it takes to have such a system work as intended.

The best overall hobbyist koi pond in actual operation is, IMO and observation, that of HenryC. I'll bump up a thread on his pond build. Perhaps his design will assist you.
    Thanks Mike.
    I forgot to mention that the actual pond will be 8m x 4m .The rest will be occupied by the filter (4m x 3m)
    What flow system do U advise? Stream flow?
    I have found literature that says that stream flow needs 30-35 % more turn over that this mixed raceway multicell filter and I am trying to have the minimum flow that will be effective in cleaning the floor..
    Link:http://elmu.umm.ac.id/file.php/1/jur...c2000/1159.pdf
    I am going to look at the pond U suggested. I got this design from a pond Kent Wallis ??? built recently.