Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: "Humps"

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom View Post
    I just bought a yamabuki from Izumiya throught a dealer and he was charged more for the one with larger hump.
    I have never seen a tosai with this distinctive hump. If it's a tosai, can I see it?

Thanks,
    Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    I have never seen a tosai with this distinctive hump. If it's a tosai, can I see it?

Thanks,
    Sunny
    not tosai, it's a 3 yrs old.....sorry for crappy Iphone pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Humps"-yama-202.jpg   "Humps"-yama-201.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom View Post
    not tosai, it's a 3 yrs old.....sorry for crappy Iphone picture
    Wow!!! Now, that's a hump!!! A beautiful fish!

Thanks,
    Sunny

Thanks for the video illustrations Brother David. I guess I've just stuck my foot in my mouth. I need do a better job of fact checking before I start typing next time. Personnaly, I do like the hump on them. Is this distinctive feature visible on tosais? If so, do you have a video or photo of one?

Have a good day!
    Sunny
    Good Day Brother Sunny

Nothing serious about missing on this trait... , trust me , there's so many who can missed out on this trait and it's nothing unusual .
    Most breeders who spot such trait in their tosai , would simply keep the tosai under a more expensive vat , or take the risk to keep them for another year before selling them off for a higher price , which is why it's hard to really spot one of such in a general selection vat , unless it's a harvest with too many of the tosai having such trait that they have to reduce stocks for keeping to nisai .

I managed to buy one of the auction Sanke Tosai from Sakai FF which was sent back after the auction early last year because she was considered a "cheaper fish " that did not qualify for a free mud pond season stay in the farm , and she was left in my 4,250 gallon pond . Will try to retrieve the auction photo and probably take a short video of her present condition this evening if time permits ... , and will post it just for you Brother Sunny ... Hope this will add something more to your selection criteria ...

"Humps"-b1.jpg

David
    Last edited by DavidSoon; 11-09-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    Good Day Brother Sunny

Nothing serious about missing on this trait... , trust me , there's so many who can missed out on this trait and it's nothing unusual .
    Most breeders who spot such trait in their tosai , would simply keep the tosai under a more expensive vat , or take the risk to keep them for another year before selling them off for a higher price , which is why it's hard to really spot one of such in a general selection vat , unless it's a harvest with too many of the tosai having such trait that they have to reduce stocks for keeping to nisai .

I managed to buy one of the auction Sanke Tosai from Sakai FF which was sent back after the auction early last year because she was considered a "cheaper fish " that did not qualify for a free mud pond season stay in the farm , and she was left in my 4,250 gallon pond . Will try to retrieve the auction photo and probably take a short video of her present condition this evening if time permits ... , and will post it just for you Brother Sunny ... Hope this will add something more to your selection criteria ...

David
    That's why I never see one. I need to step up a little on my budget. I look forward to the photo and video. Thanks Brother David!

Cheers,
    Sunny

That's why I never see one. I need to step up a little on my budget. I look forward to the photo and video. Thanks Brother David!

Cheers,
    Sunny

This was the Sakai Sanke which was sent back to me early last year after the auction . As she was of a lower price range in the auction , she was brought back . Prior to the auction , I had my dealer who called me to verify the traits I was looking for mainly . Though she does not have a balance pattern or color distribution , her structure was relatively long for a fish her age , and the sign of hump was quite obvious when my dealer , Max Ng spotted her in the viewing vat prior the auction . I capped her at 150k Yen and managed to secure her within the price range ...

From the 17 tonne pond which later was renovated and became my Skylar's pond , she was transfered 2 few weeks ago to my Paul's Pond to reduce the overstocking in the smaller pond . Though the hump wasn't obvious in the auction photo , she did came back with one .

Here's a short compilation of what she was last dec when she was still in the 17 tonne pond , and what she is today at Paul's Pond . Not so pronounced on the hump yet as she is still growing and stretching , but when size slows down a little , it will become very obvious ...

Just for you Brother Sunny ...

My Sakai Tosai - YouTube

David

This was the Sakai Sanke which was sent back to me early last year after the auction . As she was of a lower price range in the auction , she was brought back . Prior to the auction , I had my dealer who called me to verify the traits I was looking for mainly . Though she does not have a balance pattern or color distribution , her structure was relatively long for a fish her age , and the sign of hump was quite obvious when my dealer , Max Ng spotted her in the viewing vat prior the auction . I capped her at 150k Yen and managed to secure her within the price range ...

From the 17 tonne pond which later was renovated and became my Skylar's pond , she was transfered 2 few weeks ago to my Paul's Pond to reduce the overstocking in the smaller pond . Though the hump wasn't obvious in the auction photo , she did came back with one .

Here's a short compilation of what she was last dec when she was still in the 17 tonne pond , and what she is today at Paul's Pond . Not so pronounced on the hump yet as she is still growing and stretching , but when size slows down a little , it will become very obvious ...

My Sakai Tosai - YouTube

David
    Thanks for doing that Brother David! I feel very special! She is beautiful. What a steal!!! I think Sakai FF was mad at you for getting her for such a good deal. That's why they don't want her in their mud pond. As tosai, the feature is very subtle...I can see the outline of it, but that hump is obvious in the measuring tank and in your pond. Although she is dwarfed by her pondmates, but her bone structure is stunning when viewing her up close. you have done a great job with her so far. Good luck with finishing her. Hope to see her again in the future.

Cheers,
    Sunny

David
    WOW!! Hump or no hump... Great body!

Thanks for taking the time to post the video.

My goal for 2012 Tosai grow-outs is Sanke (every year I buy a couple Tosai for enjoyment). Your picture and video was perfect.

Brother David,
    Congratulations on what looks like an absolute steal with your sanke! Just watched your video on YouTube. Was there something that tipped you off on the picture about her potential or does your agent know your criteria for selection that well?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbysuzanna View Post
    Brother David,
    Congratulations on what looks like an absolute steal with your sanke! Just watched your video on YouTube. Was there something that tipped you off on the picture about her potential or does your agent know your criteria for selection that well?
    Good Day brother Robert

Picture alone do not tell much except for pattern and placement of beni/sumi or some outline on body which sometime can be misleading unless we see the real fish . It's always good to have a reliable dealer to examine the actual condition of the intended fish prior putting in a bid . Looking into history of the lineage and traits each bloodline carries do help at the same time .
    I guess it voiced down to working out traits and qualities that can be visually noticed . The proportion on body length and structure can be easily listed out , while the lack of pattern can be a factor that can call for huge discount in any auctions or selections . Credential on Shinning Rose bloodline is by far , rated as one of the few with successful records on the Sakai Sanke book and this help booster the confidence that the fish would be a growing one basis the size she was when she was a tosai .
    I was fortunate to have a good dealer , Max Ng , who would always be there prior auction to look out for specific traits and qualities before we decide on bids . Half the time , we see high bids placed on " complete or finish looking fishes " during auction , but there will always be some that will be less expensive or cheaper based on the lack of certain qualities . This Sanke I managed was one in the " cheap list " as she look all out of place on pattern or beni/sumi placement . She looked " skinny from photo " and it was a price paid for her potential growth based on the credential of the bloodline and nothing more .Not many would concentrate on fish with less appeal during auction , but i believe most fishes in each Sakai auction do carries some qualities . Matter of looking out for them and making out the right assessment on value worth ... .
    The challenge on finishing this Shinning Rose Sanke would simply be a 5 or 7 years thingy and this might be when her true value can be appraised again .

While this thread is about hump , I must admit , that it's a trait that still hold some doubts on length growth as most of the smaller fishes with the hump thingy do look a little stocky , and often mislead some to believe that it will be a slow growing fish or one that would hardly touch certain length . The x-factor gene on length growth is actually a different element on genetic , one that is not the same the x-factor on muscle .If any fishes that carries these 2 X-factors , you have a bargain ... They can still looks good in anybody's pond despite the lack of pattern ...

I wish all well ...

David

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast