Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: "Humps"

Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San View Post
    I didn't know that Loran took the prize twice in her lifetime. Would love to see any video footage of her in her heyday. Looks like I have something to search for now.
    Loran (or Rolan, depending on your preference) was considered groundbreaking in her day. You'll come across breeder interviews in which different breeders say they were inspired by Loran. We only have photos, and they are the enhanced glamour shots for publication in magazines. The un-professional photos and videos so common today are more accurate in many ways. Still, it is said that no prior GC came close to her skin quality, the purity of her white and the even thickness of her bright red beni. There was much talk of her offspring raising the level of all nishikigoi. It did not happen. Nonetheless, she was praised as the best Kohaku that had existed up then. Between her two wins, the famous Kato Showa took GC, for many the most beautiful Showa of all time.

BTW, any guess of how old Loran was when she took her second GC?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

BTW, any guess of how old Loran was when she took her second GC?
    I will guess nanasai (7 years), first win at gosai (5)

Kato Showa got me interested in showa variety. And then I really liked the "Maruyama Showa". Mainly because I got see her in person. I always like her body shape, not very showa like. Sakura was also impressive, but maybe small as a GC.

The age of Loran was something of a trick question. I have read different versions of her tale and am not sure if any are correct, but she was an old fish by today's standards.

Here is what is said on the Shinkokai Malaysia board:

"The 1990 (22nd) AJS Shinkokai GC was a 85 cm 14 year old Kohaku named Loulan. Bred by Heikichi Ogawa (Ogawa Koi Farm) and owned by Takayoshi Hashimoto. 4,321 koi were entered this year. There will be lots of different spellings of this koi's name. Much of these variations are due to the difficulty the Japanese have pronouncing R's. So you might see spellings like Roran, Loran, Louran, Lolan, Rolan, etc. etc. etc. Depending on who you ask you get a different spelling. Many people will remember the final chapter in the life of HEIKICHI OGAWA. He died in hospital (of cancer) just after receiving the news, that Loulan had been awarded Grand Champion at the 1990 All Japan Show."

Elsewhere, I've read that her first owner raised her until she was 7, at which point her beni remained under-developed. She went through the hands of three further owners over a period of 4 or 5 years before winning her first GC. So, by that version of the story, she would have been 11 or 12 at the 1990 All-Japan, and 14 at the time of her second win.

I do not what is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The age of Loran was something of a trick question. I have read different versions of her tale and am not sure if any are correct, but she was an old fish by today's standards.

Here is what is said on the Shinkokai Malaysia board:

"The 1990 (22nd) AJS Shinkokai GC was a 85 cm 14 year old Kohaku named Loulan. Bred by Heikichi Ogawa (Ogawa Koi Farm) and owned by Takayoshi Hashimoto. 4,321 koi were entered this year. There will be lots of different spellings of this koi's name. Much of these variations are due to the difficulty the Japanese have pronouncing R's. So you might see spellings like Roran, Loran, Louran, Lolan, Rolan, etc. etc. etc. Depending on who you ask you get a different spelling. Many people will remember the final chapter in the life of HEIKICHI OGAWA. He died in hospital (of cancer) just after receiving the news, that Loulan had been awarded Grand Champion at the 1990 All Japan Show."

Elsewhere, I've read that her first owner raised her until she was 7, at which point her beni remained under-developed. She went through the hands of three further owners over a period of 4 or 5 years before winning her first GC. So, by that version of the story, she would have been 11 or 12 at the 1990 All-Japan, and 14 at the time of her second win.

I do not what is accurate.
    That is still an amazing story. You can almost make a movie with that. Thanks for sharing. Makes the mystique even more alluring. I would be interested in seeing a photo of her without any color or photo enhancements. Anybody have pics in their archives to share?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345