Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koi swimming upside down

Nisai

Koi swimming upside down

My koi started swimmimg a little lazy this morning, not all of them but a few. One of them has been getting alot worse. Swimmimg upside down and labored breathing. It seems like a swim bladder issue but affecting several at the same time? What do I do?

Nisai
    First koi is dead now. 3 more swimming odd

Nisai
    Doing batch operation water change as we speak

Nisai
    Water changing is done. Guys are still swimming funny....i wish they could tell me whats wrong.

Sansai
    Is there a possibility that something could have gotten into the water that is poisoning them? Or an electrical shock? Are you usuing "city" and if so, did you use dechlor?
    It is impossible to tell you what is wrong with out being there or at least knowing some of the particulars of your pond...how many fish, how much water, how new(fish and pond) and water test results.....

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Rice View Post
    Is there a possibility that something could have gotten into the water that is poisoning them? Or an electrical shock? Are you usuing "city" and if so, did you use dechlor?
    It is impossible to tell you what is wrong with out being there or at least knowing some of the particulars of your pond...how many fish, how much water, how new(fish and pond) and water test results.....
    Yea I know theres not much anyone could do but im grasping at straws. Just woke up to recheck them. one guy is a little better. My favorite japanese is still bad off.
    And yes city water with declor but I hadny added any in a few days. Water lvl & quality was perfect.
    External pump no no shock eithet

Nisai
    STILL NEED ADVICE!
    I woke up early this morning and there is no in their condition. the 2 that are the worst off moved to higher water around the plants of the pond. Im really confused and angry. Ill try to upload a video if I can

My guess is that there was an eternal cause, such as a pesticide, electrical shock, sudden pH shift, etc. I have seen what you describe in aquarium fish experiencing a pH shock and when exposed to chlorine. I have read of similar experiences where pesticides were sprayed in the vicinity of the pond. A full description of events in the 48 hours leading up to the first observation of a problem is needed. A description of the pond set-up and full water parameters can help eliminate other possibilities.

Nisai
    well set up is 2000 gallon pond with 18 or so fish (trying to sell some). In ground pond with external pump from bottom drain. all my test strips for ph nitrates etc are all good and ammonia is none. I did add any city water before this happened or anything it just happened. we do have a city mosquito spray truck that goes through the neighborhood every evening but that has never affected them before (2 years now).
    filtration etc
    2 gravel filters (50 or so gallons)
    1 sand filter (large grit sand)
    1 uv light
    1 bog filter (60 gallons)
    1 bio media filter (30 gallons)
    but like I said water quality is fine...I dont know how to treat these guys for something odd like this

Nisai
    20 or so fish is quite overcrowded for 2000 gallons of water.. really watch your ammonia level.

What are your parameters? Things like PH, KH (important), ammonia, etc.

Are you getting proper air into the water? Is there a diffuser or waterfall?

Lastly, try to get your hands on a liquid-drop type test kit. Test strips go bad easily and are almost never accurate.

Good luck!
    Last edited by SunnyFL; 11-13-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Read something wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast