Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: koi stuff for the holidays?!?!?!?

MCA

koi stuff for the holidays?!?!?!?

As we know, the end of the year holidays are fast approaching. We all want at least one thing koi related for the holidays.

So what is on your gift list for yourself or your significant other?

I know we all want those boys from Houston to bring us a few of those Mano brothers gosankes. But I don't think that will happen.

I wouldn't call it exactly koi related, but I've had my eye set on a new Canon DSLR camera.

-Eric

Kentucky, you are not the only one my hubby has been gather info on one and the proper filters. Aparently he would like some nice pics of my babies.

I lucked out and got a bag of Saki Hikari at the ZNA Nor Cal Show drawing, now if I could have a automatic feeder to go with it.

Oyagoi
    my parents and in laws never know what to get us
    i want stuff for the pond but do not want them to know how much things actually cost.

not been asking lately but would ask something for the pond?
    and would reply nope its good

truthfully i would like an air pump but afraid it will be one for a fish tank

Polarizer filter for my Canon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails koi stuff for the holidays?!?!?!?-koi-cam-001.jpg  

MCA
    Got a good grip on the photo equipment. Got the wife a 5DII and 17-40 for Christmas; they were delivered this week.

As for filters, you only need two. For outdoor work, especially landscapes you need a circular poloarizer. The best are the B+W Kasemann units from Germany. A 77mm unit will be in the $175 range. The other filter to use is either a neutral density or a varible neutral density filter. The ND/VND are used where you need to drop the light levels so you can slow down the shutter speeds. A classic example is where you want the shutter slow enough to smooth out flowing water in a stream or waterfall. I use a Fader VND on the shots I make of waterfalls and streams. You can get those filters via Amazon, B&H, or Adorama.

Some folks will want to purchase and carry a stack of gradulated neutral density filters. Those are simply not needed. For a high contrast situation you can take a series and use HDR software to put them together (Nik HDR is very good) or, you can two or more and use mask and layers in Elements or Photoshop to put together one image that contains the full range in the original scene.

If you have multiple sizes of lens opennings, the the filter for the largest openning and use step down rings for the other lenses.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

[QUOTE=Kentucky Koi;189934]I wouldn't call it exactly koi related, but I've had my eye set on a new Canon DSLR camera.

I have been useing a 5D with a 24-105 L IS lens professionaly and it is still one of the best combinations.
    Regards
    Eugene

I just had Mike Swanson from Koi Acres here for a couple of hours, looking at what it would take to completely redo my pond. If Santa wanted to pay for it I'd be thrilled...

The one I'm looking at is a EOS Rebel T1i EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens Kit Refurb, but being at $600.00, I'm having a hard time choosing between that or a new koi.

Quote Originally Posted by lypope View Post
    I just had Mike Swanson from Koi Acres here for a couple of hours, looking at what it would take to completely redo my pond. If Santa wanted to pay for it I'd be thrilled...
    You can't go wrong with Mike!

-Eric

Lynda, I'm so happy you're finally deciding to do the pond. I hope you post pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast