Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koi Health Symposium Recap

Koi Health Symposium Recap

There were over 60 people in attendance from my observation, including Mr. Koike of Niigata, and a representative from the Inland Fisheries Examination Station in Niigata.

Professor Miyazaki presented very encouraging results from his test trials with the Aeromonas Hydrophyla vaccine. There is at least one other person in Japan that completed a vaccine over two years ago, but doesn't wish for their identity to be disclosed at this point in time.

The crux of the afternoon was KHV, with presentations by 4 people. The seminar was kicked of by Prof. Yuasa, highlighting his experience and study with the outbreak in Indonesia. He was one of the people at the forefront of KHV study before it actually surfaced in Japan. The talk focused on the different farming methods, water sources, and possible contamination from Talapia and a food catfish which I can't remember the name of.

Prof. Hatai's talk focused on the symptoms, infection rate, and gill necrosis amongst other things. He introduced a supposed vaccine called "Ko Vax" which has been developed either in Europe or Israel. I had some problems hearing from the back of the room.

Prof. Miyazaki's talk focused on infection in the wild and in farmed koi.

Shunichi Yoshida's presentations explained the Shinkokai (AJNPA) position on educating it's members and the general public about the seriousness of the disease and what it means to the industry. He estimated that half the koi farmers in Japan would shut their doors permanently if their were a major outbreak in the nishikigoi world here in Japan. He also introduced the new style of showing, and also the fact that there will be koi on display by both hobbyists and pros. All vats will be exclusive to owners/dealers without mixing fish.

That's it from a very high level. Japan Pet Drug also hosted another seminar with both Dr. Hatai and Miyazaki today which I unfortunately couldn't make. The industry is taking KHV very, very seriously.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Jumbo
    Brian

Very interesting.

I note the Aeromonas vaccine comment.

Is this an area much work is being done on in Japan. I saw reference to some work that was being undertaken in the UK on Aeromonas vaccines for ornamental coldwater fish the other day. I understand it is something used widely in the mass fish farming industry.

Mark

Was the "Koi Vax" for aeromonas or KHV? A vaccine would obviously be given not as a treatment but as a preventative. The nishikigoi business in Japan represents approximately 56 million annual revenue. No idea how many koi this would be. At a given cost per dose, if every koi were to receive it, it would represent a sizable cost. At what point would it be administered? Wonderful info Brian, thank you.

Jeff R.

Hi Jeff,

It was for KHV. From what I gathered, regardless of it's success, I don't think that it kept koi that were exposed to the virus from still being carriers capable of infecting other koi. Some of the questions from the audience (there were other academics in attendance) touched on this point.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Jumbo
    Ok, so the encouraging results were using the Hydrophyllia vaccine on KHV cases, is that right?

With regards to the vaccine, what sort or results/widespread use does it receive in Japan on koi? Presumably if any we are talking and always will be talking top end stuff.

No,

Sorry for the confusion. The aeromonas vaccine results were encouraging for aeromonas, not KHV. Ko vax is something completely different, and trials weren't conducted personally by the speaker, as was the aeromonas vaccine.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Thanks for the info Brian.

Believe me it is good news.

I did some research into KHV in the UK back in August 2001. At the time the Ornamental Aquatic Trade Association (OATA) were compiling a document which they finally published in October.

When this recent outbreak occured in Japan I looked to see if this document had been updated and it hadn't. Even though there were more cases in 2002 and 2003 than there were in 2001, things have stood still here.

I believe that the outbreak in Japan will see results where KHV is concerned. Although I wish to hell that it had never occured there, it might be a blessing in disguise for the rest of the koi world.

rgds Bern
    South East Koi Club

Brian,

Is there any more info on the January summit? Will there be an opportunity to get transcripts or some other form of media with the contents? Maybe a Koi Bito video? I for one, would be glad to pay for it if it was made available. Thanks for all your efforts.

Hi Phil,

Should have a confirmed schedule of events for the summit pretty soon. The AJNPA will have it all firmed up pretty soon. The thought of another video covering the summit did indeed cross my mind, but I've only got so much time and resources to put into video production, and considering my 60 hour a week day job...I doubt it will be possible this time around.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Excellent information. Brian, you are becoming the source with this coverage. It is appreciated. (Perhaps you should save something good for K-B #7.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast