Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: should gravid females be entered in a beauty contest?

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    It is truly disturbing to know that a higher percentage of robust gravid females in the big All Japan show die returning home or soon thereafter.

There are reports of such news almost every year, and I would guess most instances are not talked about. It is usually a prize winner or close competitor that one hears about.

I wonder if it is a matter of the fish carrying eggs, or the rigors of transport on large koi. Tokyo is a long drive from all the major breeders.

Daihonmei
    Mike, if you are a regular at the big shows every year and have visited and bought from the farms every harvest season, you make aquaintences. These folks LOVE to talk about 'what's new' and the Japanese grape vine is as active as any grape vine in the west. that grape vine is where most of our active dealers get their tidbits that get spread amongst the custmer base and then the koi community in general, albeit, often a butchered version of the original story. JR

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    ... and the worst decision is always having to pick the Best amongst the worst !!!

David
    Reminds me of the time I overheard a pair of judges looking over the small group of entrants in a very poorly represented category. After eyeing the most likely 'winner' for a while, one judge turned to the other and said, 'Well.... I guess it DOES have all its parts!"

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Happy New Year David!

This subject really can expand. It can wander into the risk of moving fully mature gravid females. It can move to a discussion about water temperatures at a show and it can ponder the reality of most western shows which is to say, large gravid females don't show up that often or represent less than 5% of all fish entered. Many ways to expand this subject.
    But for now, consider a magnificant female sanke-- large and robust. With shiny translucent white skin that looks more like fine porcelin than fish skin. Image deep bright colors that rise from that translucent milky depth to appear three dimensional whenever the fish moves it's body in the ripping water of the bowl or net. Picture it's white rounded face with doll like black and silver eyes. Now watch it cruise across the show vat and then realize that the fish only carries a large egg mass on one side of her body-- making her look lopsided to the eye.
    This is a fish of great controversy in any show. The best fish in the show with a problem that would have most other fish passed over with judges and exhibitors likely saying " what a shame about the body". JR
    Happy New Year Brother Jim

While we see most of the gravid females symmetrically balanced , we find some having "distorted" bodyline in many shows outside Japan . Most just lack " the technique " in keeping , and little understanding on the rationale of putting out such exhibits by the breeders / dealers .

Visual demand , is the root cause , that we see many of the gravid females in big shows , not only in Japan , but most part of Asia . A much bigger percentage of gravid females over my end , than what I would perceived to be exhibited in the States .

To most general hobbyists who attend the bigger shows in Japan , most would think a robust gravid female is one that looks majestic and "complete" in look , with little understanding or beliefs , that the majestic females are laden with a certain degree of eggs , unless they see a 'distorted' figure . The scene in Asia and Japan had taken a different perspective on Koi Keeping over the last 10 years , which I believe you know , that a huge percentage of the Show fishes we see now for major shows in Japan .... belongs to hobbyists outside Japan . There's more and more Show fishes in Japan today belonging to non-Japanese . On Gravid females in Shows this end , this is also the unspeakable truth which some chosed to ignore , or even discuss ..... because most would chose to seek the " Glorious Moment " than to seek health & longevity . A hobby which some would think they enjoyed a different game plan . It's sad but that's the way the show scene had been progressing ... Commercial gains rule the hearts of many .

A society or a community we often described " Living amongst the "Deaf" ,the " Mute " ... and the " Blind " .

David
    Last edited by DavidSoon; 12-29-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Sakai 5 Step Maruten Kohaku 68cm - High Quality - Koi Aqua - YouTube

This is a clear cut gravid female , heavily laden with eggs for all we know .
    Isn't she a beautiful kohaku ?

Not mine !!! but a good visual aid of what's being discussed here ...
    Last edited by DavidSoon; 12-29-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Daihonmei
    VERY nice! Happy New Year, my friend. JR

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123