Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: western eye to full open

Good morning & Happy New Year JR.

I am dealing with less concentrated ie less linebred genes than the Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    I smell a good teaching ramble blowing in the wind of these observations
    Happy New Year mate. I had to re-write the post as the genetic jargon can be a bit hard to make for an easy understanding. Separate topic maybe.....

AWL
    Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbradleybradley View Post
    Happy New Year mate. I had to re-write the post as the genetic jargon can be a bit hard to make for an easy understanding. Separate topic maybe.....
    I am always grateful for the easy read version as you know all to well BB

Meg
    thank you for taking the time and allowing me to also understand

Might make for a nice article for some Koi Mag somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Good morning, thanks for your interest in my book. I have to admit it is part on paper as an outline and mostly in my head! The trick is to get it on paper! I was compiling the many articles I've written on the web and in magazines and in K2K. But there is no way to tie all that together.
    I'm thinking that this should be a different type of book and not be the formula that we see in all koi books-- I.E. varieties, feeding, buidling apond ect.
    My book will be directed at established koi keepers, advanced koi keepers and those beginner who want to be advanced koi keepers.

The four main areas of the book in no particular order, will be ;
    1) HISTORY-a study of the history and evolution of colored carp in Japan
    2) MICRO BIOLOGY-the koi's environment; it's limits and the importance of the microbe world. a review of filter designs for an outdoor pond.
    3) GENETICS -the genetics of the modern nishikigoi. How and why koi look the way they do.
    4) ART -how to appreciate koi as living and aging art.
    5) ANIMAL BEHAVIOR AND PHYSIOLOGY- the behavior of koi and it's interaction with the outside world
    Maybe you could do a Koi judge's (or advanced koi keepers) "notebook". A soft cover spiral bound book. A collection of articles.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Maybe you could do a Koi judge's (or advanced koi keepers) "notebook". A soft cover spiral bound book. A collection of articles.
    Jim and I could do that together. The things we have seen and heard and how they have changed. I could do a whole notebook on strange things about judging heard around the water cooler. Both before and after the shows. Do we have stories???

Quote Originally Posted by koidoc View Post
    Jim and I could do that together. The things we have seen and heard and how they have changed. I could do a whole notebook on strange things about judging heard around the water cooler. Both before and after the shows. Do we have stories???
    Loving all the great posts. Excellent reading, I am soaking everything up.

Art/JR, how do I reserve my copy?

Best

Duc

Quote Originally Posted by koidoc View Post
    Let Jim do the book for advanced koi keepers and you do a book about strange things about judging.

I would buy both books!

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    P.S. Ricshaw, NOT 40 years!! The representation you are viewing was a long procession of an internal gene pool. I don't want to bore the reader with constant restatements of history BUT to keep us all on track----

This chart represents the concentrated efforts to roll out internal gene expression. Once the double recessives are in the gene pool, rolling them out into individual looks is just a matter of numbers---
    these double and recessives are simply the result of any Punnett square calculation- only in large numbers.
    One of the fascinating things about how circumstance worked so well in the making of nishikigoi, is the fact that as a species they 100,000- 300,000 young. In those kind of numbers, the odds of having a few double recessive mutations show up is very high. HIGH that is, ONCE you have the the gene pool to DRAW on!
    The creation of the gene pool was a very long trail-- maybe as much as 200 years ( more likely 160 years in my estimation). And this is WHY, of all the places in the world that common carp exist, ONLY Japan was able to rll out the line of modern nishikigoi.
    China had a moment when natural mutation existed in their stock but they ignored it. Western Japan did not-- it saw the missing link, concentrated on the missing link mutation and slowly created a series of recessive genes. Then expanded that finite pool into every combination possible.
    the picture genealogy is valuable-- but so much more so when you can see the internal genetics in each individual and how it is being expressed in the picture.
    White spreading and white ( leucism) are the core of all gosanke. And makes them the rarest and most valuable. Kohaku for instance have expressed four gene mutations ( can you ame them? )
    How far we have come! how far we have come since the days when we thought that gosanke was simply a Japanese asthetics. It is about rarity. And fine mutation expression is indeed rare- in nature and in the show ring.
    JR
    Leucistic (muji), piebald (patterned), kanoco (dappled), solid (benigoi)???

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast