Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nichirin - (Pond Type)

Nichirin - (Pond Type)

In the section "My Proud Koi" of the October 2011 Issue of Nichirin, Shigeru Takigami states the following about the concern of a prized 6 year old, 95cm Ogon.

"While the Garden Pond isn't as good as a Square Pond for large Koi to grow more, and I'm a little concerning about how this Ogon will be taken care of from now".

In the photo that was included in the section, a Garden type pond is shown (I'll guess this is the Hobbyist pond). This wasn't a Water Garden that was shallow with plants, just a Garden type pond.

I'd be interested in hearing what the members here have to add about the above statement.

Troy
    President : GLK&GS
    Officer : NMZNA
    Certified Judge : AKJA

Oyagoi
    Hmmm....

Kind of reminiscent of the owner's manual that came with my first motorcycle.

Obviously, there are translation issues.

My pure guess is that Takigama-san's Japanese garden-style pond is a typical one, comparatively shallow without any 'sprinting' distances and barely adequate filtration. His desire seems to be to reach a meter or more, but my impression is that in most such ponds the koi are usually medium sized, not jumbo. Just my guess.....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Obviously, there are translation issues.

My pure guess is that Takigama-san's Japanese garden-style pond is a typical one, comparatively shallow without any 'sprinting' distances and barely adequate filtration. His desire seems to be to reach a meter or more, but my impression is that in most such ponds the koi are usually medium sized, not jumbo. Just my guess.....

I reproduced the statement as is, so I wouldn't lean the thought one way or the other.

The pond in the photo didn't seem to be shallow and to be of very nice size, so I don't see a lack of area for "Sprinting" as a issue.

If all things are equal (Gallons, Depth, Filters, Etc.), could there be a reason to have one type pond over another when it comes to Koi development ?

The question for me is what is meant by "Square Pond".

Is "Square Pond" a larger dealer pond?

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    The question for me is what is meant by "Square Pond".

Is "Square Pond" a larger dealer pond?
    I've been mulling that thought around myself.
    A "typical" Japanese Garden Pond may be radically different from a Western "water garden" (free from plants and rocks) , but most would be relatively small compared to a dealer pond and in a relaxed setting. It makes me wonder if his thoughts are along the lines of a pond that at least to the human mind "provokes" exercise (square/industrial style) vs one that "evokes" calm and serenety (rounded/Zen-like).
    Just a thought.

Most of the "growing ponds" , which we normally refer to as " square or rectangular ponds " are simple shaped ponds , designed to keep a growing fish or designed for fish growth , where filteration & length of pond is of some concern and little aesthetic values . While a garden pond is one we actually "retires" the fish when they are of length or " finished " , and there will be little or no sense of loss in any of the fish growth .

A general remark that actually came with a sense of relunctance and empathy on a beautiful growing Ogon .
    Such is the sentiment when Shigeiru Mano made this remark . Shigeiru believed this is one beautiful Ogon that can even break the 1.0 meter mark easily and probably touch or passed the 1.1 meter mark should she be left in a growing pond .

Daihonmei
    One of the 'tricks' I've seen in many garden ponds in Japan is a flow thru system. The pond appears to be like our shallow garden ponds but the water pouring in one end and leaving the other quickly changes this enclosure from a closed system to an open system. In short, it 'looks the same' but in function it is an entirely different animal!
    Brett might remember a famous experiment done with trout fingerling, I think?, where the fish were put in a closed tube and water was flushed over them 24 X7 and they grew beautifully! No nitrate or ammonia of course because there was no filter! No bacteria--- just clean pure water washing away all waste and organics. JR

MCA
    Dilution is the solution to polution. Rare is the fish keeper that can use a constant water change as the only polution solution.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    Most of the "growing ponds" , which we normally refer to as " square or rectangular ponds " are simple shaped ponds , designed to keep a growing fish or designed for fish growth , where filteration & length of pond is of some concern and little aesthetic values . While a garden pond is one we actually "retires" the fish when they are of length or " finished " , and there will be little or no sense of loss in any of the fish growth .

Brother David, How does the designed "Square-Rectangular" Shaped Pond keep a Koi growing over a different design ?

I'm personally leaning toward the current this type pond would have over a Garden Pond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast