Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please advise about these Kohakus

Tosai

Please advise about these Kohakus

I like these kois - they are from Sakai
    Please let me know if they are ok or not? 200/each if i buy all 3, $450

MCA
    I think the "OK or not" depends on the role you mean for these to fulfill. Are they to be show fish or simple pond fish....or something in between?

Tosai
    If they attract your eye and your first impressions were good, then I'd say 'go for it'. After all, they will be your fish and you're looking at them.

For me, in the first picture, the centre fish has too much hi on the face/head. The right hand fish has too much hi on the face and no white on the tail tube. Coversely, the left hand fish hass too little hi on the face and a stray blob near his eye.

For me, and it's only my persoanl thoughts, I'd wait. Fish more appealing to my eye would come along. Even save the $450 for one nice fish. Further down the line, you may wish you had done?

Hope this helps, but doesn't put you off if you decide on them.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by kinkykoi View Post
    If they attract your eye and your first impressions were good, then I'd say 'go for it'. After all, they will be your fish and you're looking at them.

For me, in the first picture, the centre fish has too much hi on the face/head. The right hand fish has too much hi on the face and no white on the tail tube. Coversely, the left hand fish hass too little hi on the face and a stray blob near his eye.

For me, and it's only my persoanl thoughts, I'd wait. Fish more appealing to my eye would come along. Even save the $450 for one nice fish. Further down the line, you may wish you had done?

Hope this helps, but doesn't put you off if you decide on them.
    I agree , though i do like the look of the third fish myself

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    I think the "OK or not" depends on the role you mean for these to fulfill. Are they to be show fish or simple pond fish....or something in between?
    Based off the pics (which we should not be judging from) what is your assessment of the quality of the kohaku regardless of show or pond grade?

Quote Originally Posted by myprosound View Post
    I like these kois - they are from Sakai
    Please let me know if they are ok or not? 200/each if i buy all 3, $450

Which Sakai are they from? What was the age of the fish that the dealer told you?

MCA
    Based off the pics (which we should not be judging from) what is your assessment of the quality of the kohaku regardless of show or pond grade?

The picturess are the only thing we have to judge from today. From what I see in the photos, I do not care for them, especially the crowned one with hi motoguru and hi at one eye. On a kohaku I don't want hi below the lateral line or on the face.

I think on this board in particular, your gonna get comments from folks that are more experienced, into shows, and a bit more 'picky" than many of the others.

So you really have to take their comments in perspective to where you are in the hobby. And, where you'd like to go.

I think for someone learning about a breeder these koi might be a good study to see how body shapes and patterns develop. This could be a good learning experience in your advancement in the hobby.

looking at the koi, I'd venture they're from hiroshima as opposed to INC.

I was never opposed to a beni pattern below the lateral line, because I feel the heavy pattern comes into it's own when the Koi reaches it's maximum size and adds strength and power to the image.
    Dick Benbow

Oyagoi
    I tend to agree with the poster that recommends saving the $450 for one, much better kohaku than to buy any of these three.

Not bad pond koi, but will not compete in a show, even in the US. Easy enough to see why they were culled and sent here. I'd not even consider the menkaburi (bald) koi, way too many problems.

OTOH, I feel there is no koi that doesn't have something to teach, especially if a beginner and a low budget.

Surely a domestic breeder would have a better fish for the same coin. Might be worth looking into. Judge the fish by what it looks like, not by where it came from. The corollary, though is that there is a certain expectation of quality when buying a koi from a particular, well established breeder.

From the pic (koi should not be judged by photos) they look to have decent quality from the perspective of body and color, but are very lacking in the pattern department.

I tend to not discount a kohaku for an omoyo (large pattern that falls below the lateral line) pattern at such a small size. I agree with Dick that most come into their own as they grow.

I really do not care for the menkaburi (bald head) pattern at all and the other two MIGHT grow into a hanatsuki pattern (face mask with white on both sides) as they get bigger, which would be a great improvement over their current status.

Fortunately for breeders and dealers "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," and if you like them, and are not expecting show fish, then that is all that really matters.
    Brett

Tosai
    thank you all
    these are just for simple a hobby. What i am looking for a nice pond quality kois, NOT SHOW QUALITY.

yes - these are from hiroshima and they are 18 month-old

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast