Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: doing my koi homework

Tategoi
    You guys had me at "Blunt." As I like it very blunt with no sugar coating... problem is that the other can't take the bluntness. But yeah, that yellow koi needs to be white and main problem is that they didn't stop feed it.

Daihonmei
    You're right of course. But I think it was Mike or maybe Ray that said it could all be down to how you break the news. So my vote is to DEFINITELY break the news as the integrity of the lesson and the show itself is at stake. But doing it with a lead in such as " if only---" or " what a nice koi, it's a shame about the ----" is probably the very best way to approach the bad news. Some will not even accept that , but at the point we can't obsess about an over sensitive owner when so much more is at stake.
    Once upon a time there was a ZNA judge who was considered THE prototype American judge. He was excellent! Yet he only had the knowledge of koi that was cutting edge for that era ( the U.S. era of pattern and color). Still, he was THE best judge of his day in terms of popularity and in terms of spreading the love of koi. Why? Because of his eye? Although it was good, not really the reason. The reason was that he was a skilled teacher. And he had the gift of communicating and transferring excitment for the fish. He also had a gift of breaking the worst news about one's koi, smothered in praise for the fish's other elements. A real gift and a good lesson for all of us more jaded ( and sometimes less tolerating) judges. Koi appreciation teaches humility. JR

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    You're right of course. But I think it was Mike or maybe Ray that said it could all be down to how you break the news. So my vote is to DEFINITELY break the news as the integrity of the lesson and the show itself is at stake. But doing it with a lead in such as " if only---" or " what a nice koi, it's a shame about the ----" is probably the very best way to approach the bad news. Some will not even accept that , but at the point we can't obsess about an over sensitive owner when so much more is at stake.
    Once upon a time there was a ZNA judge who was considered THE prototype American judge. He was excellent! Yet he only had the knowledge of koi that was cutting edge for that era ( the U.S. era of pattern and color). Still, he was THE best judge of his day in terms of popularity and in terms of spreading the love of koi. Why? Because of his eye? Although it was good, not really the reason. The reason was that he was a skilled teacher. And he had the gift of communicating and transferring excitment for the fish. He also had a gift of breaking the worst news about one's koi, smothered in praise for the fish's other elements. A real gift and a good lesson for all of us more jaded ( and sometimes less tolerating) judges. Koi appreciation teaches humility. JR
    Yes Jim but back in these days with one ZNA Judge he was considered the Master and rightfully so. No one questioned his choice as we have now a days. Many times he did not have to explain his choice. Hobbyists unless in the one occasion you had a good interpretor could not question the ZNA judge on a particular fish. You could ask in general and hope you understood the leason. The ZNA Judge would be able to go around the show and talk on fish in general and was an Excellant teacher. I loved every minute and look forward to it in the Old Days. Now questions as individual to judges and normally start with "Why didn't my fish win?" or "That fish is all bent and has a big stomach so how come it beat mine?" The Japanese ZNA Judge conversation would start of the premise that he always got the right one so teach me. Different latitude offered the judges. American judges in the walk around spend 50% of their time not teaching about great points of Koi but defending the choice of Champions. Two different things to consider.
    DO NOT GET ME WRONG. There is a right way and a wrong way to tell people about their Koi. People still send me pictures everyday for opiniond of own koi or what to buy. I select koi for a few old friends to this day. All the lead ins you mentioned are excellant examples of ways to start. I still have problems with who is listening. I can open up more on e-mails or ONE ON ONE. One on one is best with a fish when the OWNER ASKS and you are alone. But I have had and incident where the owner asked me to be very blunt and tell me about his fish. I did and he thanked me up and down. I even then went to help him pick out a fish. But someone was listening to my conversation with him. I was contacted next week by Judging Comm and questioned on the way I talked to the man. So even when you think you are doing things and as the hobbyist wants and like people in this thread say they want we still have people looking over our shoulder. Do you think that gets done with the once upon a time ZNA Judge. I am just saying that a concieved expert and properly so ZNA Judge can do more and have more latitude than a say an American judge who is asked first why they picked the wrong fish and then only second what can you tell me about mine for the future.
    Each incidence is a challenge and you have to feel out the recipient and see what level he or she can take. Then you have to use your "Library Voice" JMO

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234