Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Finding and fixing a leak

Finding and fixing a leak

The pond is your basic epdm lined hole in the gound with a bottom drain, 2 inch pvc pipe up to the pump.

How do you find a leak in a pond.

Once you find it how do you repair it?

MCA

Look for damp earth. You can als use colored water (FMG treatment, food color...etc.) to look for it.

Much depends on what when wrong. Is it like a cold issue (frozen pipes, heaving earth...etc?), or dd settling earth cause a liner rip or broken pipe or?

If broken pipe, replace the cracked section and stablize the surrounding area. If liner has hole....replace liner as repair tape is problematic in the best of circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by ..5.. View Post
    The pond is your basic epdm lined hole in the gound with a bottom drain, 2 inch pvc pipe up to the pump.

It could be a puncture in the liner. If so, it might be found by allowing the leak to continue until the water level stabilizes. The leak will be at the water line. Patch kits are available. But, if the puncture is on the bottom, or the bottom drain is leaking, obviously this approach places the koi at risk!

If the leak results in just an inch or so being lost each day, you might just 'go with the flow' and leave the leak alone. Topping off daily will be equivalent to a daily water change.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    If the leak results in just an inch or so being lost each day, you might just 'go with the flow' and leave the leak alone. Topping off daily will be equivalent to a daily water change.
    I like this.

I still can't figure out why a pond that has been there for three years would spontaniously start to leak? I don't do anything with it and to my knowledge there haven't been any earthquakes.

Nisai
    Maybe tree roots? A burrowing vermin in the winter?

I'm always afraid to leave leaks alone because all that water has to go somewhere. Does it simply trickle down to an aquifer?

MCA
    The earth does subside under all liners. Lots of water pressure will do it. You don't need a 7.2 for that to happen. Also roots could have grown towards the liner. And never under estimate the ability of ants, rodents, and other critters to bit the liner...or undermind the ground beneath the liner.

It is a problem we all face with liner ponds. Once day we have to pony up for a new liner...or bite the bullet for a concrete pond (poured, shot, block) and a sealant of pond plaster, fiber glass, or various epoxy or rubber compounds.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

How long does the average epdm liner last?

Meg
    do you have a waterfall, many leaks are found here.
    do you have plantings around the edge of the waterfall or the pond edge? plants cabbe invasive and change the waters flow and even if it is slightly it can be just enough to wick the water out of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by ..5.. View Post
    How long does the average epdm liner last?
    My lily pond liner has been in place over 15 years. It has lost flexibility and is subject to cracking where exposed to sun. I've been meaning to renovate the pond for years.

MCA
    As I remember 45mil EPDM is supposed to be good for around 20 years. Likely that varies with the amount of UV that hits it, amount of movement of the ground beneath and water above.

I think 15 years is a good replacement target. We are around halfway through the life of our liner. I will have to replace it or rebuild the pond (concrete and block) before retirement.