Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: pond flow problems

jcn

my pump is not running right. Help!

Ok friends. here it is. I have a artisan performance pro. running a 5000gal pond. I left for the weekend came back home and my pond was empty. No water just enough for the koi to stay alive. I figured that out, my problem is I had a hell of a time getting my pump to prime. it's been a few days and I can tell that the flow is slowing down alot. Im sure it ran for a couple of days with very little water. would it be the seal inside the pump? it's really barley running and I'm sure Im not far from it stopping all together. I know I can put a new seal in myself but is that the problem?

I suggest you call the manufacturer's help line. Go to the performancepropumps.com website and the contact page will give you a number to telephone a live person! ...Several of the leading pump manufacturers provide this service either by phone or email. They are not going to know what's wrong without examining it, but can give you their best guesses, which are going to be a lot better than anything I'd guess.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by jcn View Post
    Ok friends. here it is. I have a artisan performance pro. running a 5000gal pond. I left for the weekend came back home and my pond was empty. No water just enough for the koi to stay alive. I figured that out, my problem is I had a hell of a time getting my pump to prime. it's been a few days and I can tell that the flow is slowing down alot. Im sure it ran for a couple of days with very little water. would it be the seal inside the pump? it's really barley running and I'm sure Im not far from it stopping all together. I know I can put a new seal in myself but is that the problem?
    jcn, it's hard to tell without actually seeing your installation. But a few things to trouble shoot for ( don't be insulted if I cover the obvious)--

1) make sure the pump is below water level. Even self priming pumps need some help.
    2) use a leaf basket but make sure the lid is tight and makes seal or it can suck in air
    3) and rubber connections and poor glued joints can also introduce an iar source that can build in the perpellor housing.
    3) make sure there are no hairline cracks in the housing and propellor cover.
    4) make sure your true unions are tight
    5) install a guage on the 'business end' of the pumps piping to see what your pressure is running at.
    6) if the pump is pulling from a sump, make sure that cavatation ( that whirl pool water witch that looks so cool) is not bringing air into the feed side of the pump
    7) do make sure you pump is wired right and running on the right volyage line.
    Hope this helps, JR

It is now. Seal faces cannot run dry. The friction heat build-up will very quickly cause severe seal face damage and leak and or suck air.
    Last edited by kingkong; 01-06-2012 at 09:19 AM.

jcn
    Well thanks guys for answering some of that for me. this pond has been here for about 5 years with really no problems. I was just hoping that I could just replace the seal myself and be done with it and not have to spend a bunch of money on a new pump. I just bought this house last year and the pond came with it. trust me it's been one hell of a learning curve. learning to become a koi guy is not cheap but it's fun and I love the fish. anyway thanks I will call the manufacture and see what they say hope it's a quick fix. I'm attaching a couple of photos for ya to see what the pond looks like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pond flow problems-misc-fish-graigs-056.jpg   pond flow problems-misc-fish-graigs-071.jpg   pond flow problems-misc-fish-graigs-070.jpg