Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asagi

Nisai

Asagi

As was mentioned in the 'Where is Dick' thread, perhaps we should have a seaprate thread devoted to picutures and talk of Asagi, labeled as such.

So here it is, I would love to see photos of any asagi any of you keep, plus here more about the diferent varieties and bloodlines and breeding/culling strategies.

I'm thinking it might be cool to have a separate ongoing thread for each koi variety. Considering my pond is 90% asagi and budo-goromo I will start a koromo thread too.

Here are a few.... turns out dark on this site though

kumonryu

how bout a page for Kumonryu? at least this fish will look different each month when you take its pic! wish I could have the time to develop the changing pattern to a few others... why not a changing kikusui? why not a mix of a kikusui and a kumonryu? ahhhhh a glimps of what someday may be.... come on lottery 80 mill tonight...

Here is another Asagi. Female 30 inches and even better in person (Dick has already seen this one). The only thing wrong with her is that she isn't mine!!!

bob, who was breeder again?

Bob, who did you say was the breeder of these three asagi's? Which one did you select?

Hi Dick,

None of these were mine, unfortunately, but one belonged to a couple from Washington (I think that is where they are from). The breeder was Marudo. All are close to 80 cm.

Best regards,

Bob Winkler

Here's an exceptional asagi that was on display at the San Diego show this year

Unfortunately I don't know who owns it or who the breeder is.

Mr winkler,

Thanks, no wonder I recognized the one in the bottom left. the couple

are from Spokane area. nice koi.

Some stunning asagis above!

I was just wondering: How do you cull small asagi fry? The hi could hardly be out yet and the blue...? Do they go for single coloured pale grey or white or what?

Regards,

Per

Per,

In simbetsu for asagi, the amount of red showing is used as a gauge.

basically what your looking at is a whiteish koi. the older they get the more red begins to display. in most cases of QUALITY asagi ,the blue asagi han does not show until the third year.

In a perfect candidate, as tosai...the koi would have motoaka (showa like pecs with one third red (instead of black). An extremely high quality white face (about i/3rd of the head in the mouth nose area). the koi that look like the posters of all japan show winners at this age will never make it as an adult.

Like many color varieties of koi, the secret is the longer it takes to get to where it needs to be, the longer it will stay there. that's why tategoi are so expensive and because you don't see the end in sight, the more difficult it is to part with your money!

I will be breeding them this year. I was down checking on mom and dad in the wintering ponds two days ago. dad stays there till spring but mom, i will bring in and warm up in February and beginning feeding to increase egg production. Of the 60,000 fry I expect to get I'll have about

60 koi to work with next fall with some potential! By the third year I should have 2 or 3 of each variety. Mom is narumi and dad is reverse. I have looked forward to this year for a long time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast