Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KHV outbreak & Quarantine Protocol

KHV outbreak & Quarantine Protocol

I would like some input about the KHV Quarantine protocol:

1. The only way to confirm KHV is a PCR test--killing the fish and sending tissue samples. This test takes 2 weeks minimum, leaving you hanging with dying fish in the meantime.

action---Move your fish to quarantine tank or pond, increase quarantine temp. to 89-90 degrees fahrenheit for 5?-7?-21? days.

2. The main pond has to be sterilized? Or can you wait for 21? days for the virus to die out, saving yourself the hassle of sterilizing the pond and everything contained within.

action-To be perfectly safe, sterilize everything?

3. Birds, Frogs, or any other Aquatic animal can carry the Virus and re-introduce it into your pond or the virus can only be spread by infected fish.

action--There seems to be some question about the transmission vehicle of KHV anyone have any answers? or are we forced to net the whole area to keep all critters out.

Your thoughts please!
    Werner

Pond-On (tm)

Hi Werner.

The best info I have come across in the UK is via the owner of the web-site www.koi-unleashed.co.uk His name is Duncan Griffiths and he is a part of the AKCA KHA group, which is where he gets his info from. His site is worth a look, but you've probably got the same somewhere in the States.

The answer to your pt 1 will be there I'm sure.

Pt 2. I have been told that the virus cannot live without a host for 12?-15?-18? hours. So if I had the problem I'd leave if for as long as I could, lets say a minimum of 48hrs. If you steralize, what do you steralise with. I've been told Iodine type treatments for nets etc.

3. There is no link so far between any of the aquatic viruses, carp, trout, salmon etc and any other creature. They all tend to be species-specific.

Close physical contact is suspected, with mucous transfer the focus, but it still needs to be proven. I know I have read that fathead minnows were eliminated from being carriers of a trout virus, I know I have read (very recently) that goldfish cant carry KHV.

rgds BERN
    South East Koi Club

Bern,

Where is good 'ol Duncan anyway? Haven't seem him around here in a while...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Duncan's been very active in supplying my Koi Club with decent up to date info regarding KHV. But I have to say, I've only just made his e-acquaintance since this outbreak.

These BB's are a wonderful extention of the 'old Koi Network'.

rgds BERN

Thank You Bern--

I'm very familiar with Dunc and his site, I have my site crosslinked.

I cannot find any KHV info. there, perhaps I'm missing something? I'll contact Dunc. directly.

I'm trying to get a consensus of treatment and sterilizing procedures to add to my site for lay Koi fanciers. Thank you for your input.

Hi Werner,

There is a strong possibility that I got the info via a link from Duncans site. You know how it is when your follow a thread. There such a lot of diverse info on there I get a bit carried away when visiting.

Rgds BERN

Fry

after khv outbreak

We pured 6 bottles of bleach in the pond and let it sit there for one month. Also added our nets etc.We have 8,000 gallons

Completely emptied the ponds and rinsed as well as we could. Let in dry in the sun for one week. Refilled. Added dechlor like usual.

Gradually added new fish after quarantine pond. They are fine.

Thanx Kigoi--

Any information helps, especially from someone that's been there.

Tategoi

Duncan's info...

Duncan is still alive and kicking, AFAIK. I received an email xmas card from him this weekend.

He and Spike Cover are buddies. Spike is the program director for the KHA program and, IMHO, one of the best amature authorities on KHV around. My koi club had him and Rob Hildreth, DVM up for a day-long seminar on Koi Health this summer. Spike's talk was on KHV and SVC... I still have the notes around here.

Bottom line is that you want to Q for both. To clean up from either the bleach treatment and total dry out is recommended. KHV is supposed to have a short life span without a host but we could be wrong about that.

The heat treatment will terminate the current infection, but we're not sure about carrier status. It could be that a heat treated fish is a carrier and it'll infect a pond even years after the initial infection and survival. That's the bugger with Herpes viruses; they can hide and we can't detect them well when they do. This is also one reason why the Israeli researchers want to prove it isn't a Herpes virus; then the 'cured' and 'immune' fish are safe. But I want other verification before counting on it. It'll be years before we can be relatively sure about the virus type, I think.

Regarding #1: probably birds can carry it, just like any other parasite. The likelihood is slim, but still there.

Anything new on KHV besides what has been written already...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast