Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Volume of water lost

Tosai

Volume of water lost

Hi there All.

Can any one give me an approximation of what the effect is of 90deg bends in your plumbing on the amount of water that comes out of the pipe in a low pressure application (i.e. running a submersible pump with 40mm PVC piping with around 9 90deg bends in order to get the water where it is supposed to go) and would there be any benefit to reducing the number of bends used?

Thanks in advance
    H

Tosai
    BTW, I ask this because I had read somewhere that bends (as well as friction from the inside of the pipe and the length of the pipe) in the plumbing will have a negative effect on the amount of water moved as well as velocity? I tried to Google it again but I got a headache from the University level mumbo jumbo that I found....

MCA

Tosai
    Thanks for the link MCA, I had a look, apparently a sharp 90 deg bend on a 40mm pipe has a value of 7.5, the highest of them all. Which in itself can not be good, especially taking into account that for every bend there is also two male / female adapters to allow the pipe to connect to the bend, so then we can add a further 3.5, taking us up to 11.

Now, forgive my ignorance, but what does that mean? I am thinking that I will definitely see benefit if I reduce the number of bends and adapters in the plumbing by half? (from 8 to 4 bends and 16 to 8 adapters)

Thanks again for the feedback.

H

MCA
    Not sure what you mean about needing adapters. On the PVC pipe I use, the pipe glues directly into both ends of the fitting. You use a primer on the end of the pipe and the fitting to clean it. Then you apply glue to the end of the pipe and fitting. Then quickly insert the pipe into the fitting and give the pipe a quarter turn. Hold the pipe firmly into the fitting for a few seconds as the reaction of the glue (a solvent) is melting the pipe and fitting together...and that can tend to push them apart a fraction of a mm.

One way to reduct the number of fittings...use flexible PVC pipe instead of rigid pipe. The flexible pipe I use is cut and glued the same as rigid PVC pipe. Note that the flexible pipe is more expensive.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Tosai
    Hi there, thanks for the reply.

I should have mentioned that the pipe that we get in 40mm here in RSA is the same pipe used for irrigation (1mm thickness, black in colour) hence the need for adapters that glue with PVC solvent into the elbows.

Anyway, I removed half of these elbows and adapters and, YES, it makes a huge difference, didn't measure flow before and after, but the visual difference is MASSIVE.

So, I am happy that I did, more flow!

H