Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please compare bottom drains

Please compare bottom drains

I'm looking to purchase my bottom drains this time around instead of making them.

What are the differences, pros and cons, of Koi Toilet I and Rhino II? I will be using 4" with air in a concrete bottom.

Edit: I can get them for the same price except shipping.

So, you gettin' all of your pieces and parts together? Did you ever scrounge up enough cinder blocks? When ya' gettin' started?

Hi Sandy

Have you considered the unit from koi acres?

I like the design principle on the website, seems to be the way to prevent waste/debris from settling in the drain.

KASS Koi Pond Bottom Drain

Anyone out there with experience using these? I need to get a couple bottoms drains for my build as well

Best

Duc

Hey Duc, I haven't heard from you in a while. That drain looks awesome but out of my price range.

Kevin, I'm going to have to hold off on starting the pond, again. I'm still getting things together and the tree falling on the house didn't help matters.

I'm going to redo the filtration on the QT this weekend. I'm taking out the 55 gallon moving bed and putting a 300 gallon stock tank with an air diffuser in it. I need more bio on that 5000 gallons even though there's only 2 fish in it.

I'm going to pull all or as many as I can catch of the babies out of the mud, as well as the Showa and 2 Shiros. I'm going to try to sell them and then start my pond.

This way, I can move 4-5 of my big girls out of the mud into the QT so I can see them again.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Hi Sandy, if the Koi toilet & Rhino are the same price definitely go with the rhino, it is a much thicker plastic.

I'm planning to build my Onishi streamflow pond soon and can use the hookup on a rhino, pm me if you can.

I bet you that Ill beat Duc in finishing my gunite Onishi bf he even get started on his.

Duc, chop chop! Get it moving the koi you still have here in tom's pond are no longer wanted.

MCA
    exactly. the Rhino is made from thick pvc and welded. If I were to purchase a BD...it would definitely be a rhino.

Thanks, Ryan and Michael.

I was thinking the same thing but wanted to make sure.

WAC
    Tosai
    Are you comparing based on aerated or non-aerated?

If aerated, personally I like the "bowled" bottom/sump on the Koi Toilets.

Please compare bottom drains-kta-sump-interior.jpg

Please compare bottom drains-kta-sump-underside.jpg

instead of the cylinder w/flat bottom edge on the Rhinos.

If it's going to be ENCASED IN CONCRETE anyhow ... & considering a bottom drain is located in a "low-traffic" (no-traffic) zone is the density of the material truly that pertinent?

The aeration disc diffuser amongst the 2 brands is 9" for the Koi Toilet & 12" for the Rhino. Which can be looked at as both good & bad. Backpressure: the larger 12" diffuser will need more air (at whatever depth) to fill the full rubber membrane diffuser whereas the 9" would require less air (at same depth).

The aerated one's I usually see over $100 price difference comparing the 2 brands.

MCA
    I can't image not putting an air dome on a BD in a koi pond. There are too many benefits for running air and creating the sweeping currents. To me the larger dome and correspondingly larger volume of air is a real positive. You can't over aerate a pond....at least via BD air domes.

Sansai
    I used the Rhino IIs. At that time I built my pond, it was the only heavy duty one that used PVC and I liked the idea of having a chemical weld to my plumbing. I think the others were ABS and required a bonding/transition cement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast