Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What is the optimum shape of a koi pond?

shape

Lee can attain optimum rotation in his pond by having the water feature at the narrow end "shooting" into the pond along one edge more than the other this will impart the spin where the water needs the push the most. If there is to be a skimmer in place as well as bottom drains it would be also at the narrow end but on the opposite edge from the water in direction picking up the water after it has spent the longest time in the pond and gathered the maximum surface crud. bottoms would be in the large end where deepest point and greatest settlement occoured. palm tree? hmmmm liner tough to pull over one of them. bet you are going ridgid install. otherwise tricky to cut hole for tree and slip it over the tree and down Lee best of luck with the new perfect pond! by then I am sure this board will be more pic friendly so we expect updates on the build. If you need help building I pack light and eat heavy but to build in the cayman isles the charge would be zero for help- just a place to sleep for services rendered. Mike
    " I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy "

Lee
    Sansai
    Lee,

Michael,

In answer to your post:

What metric(s) are to be used?

I don't understand your reply 'what metric(s)"

I have a problem with the kidney shape. We know that every bend in pipe creates resistance that must be overcome with pump horsepower. In a retangular pond you have 4 "corners" creating the resistance to the flow, even if you round/bench them. In a kidney shape, you reduced the water volume (compared to rectangular) and added the indentations which disturb the water flow.

No, Michael. There will be no 45's or 90's bends when installing either a round pond or an egg shaped pond if you use flexi pipe.

Thus, using flexi-pipe you create either pond shape with literally - 'minimal' "resistance".

Further, there will be no 'incorrect' disturbance to either shape's water flow when correctly installing your bottom drains, TRP's and surface skimmers.

And, the result will be better water flow when (compared to rectangular shapes) when you install your surface skimmers, bottom drains and TRP's...correctly.

If you do a egg-shaped pond, you have to over come the signifcant resistance of the pointed end of the pond. The angle will have be much tighter than 90 degrees and therefore add major resistance. I have yet to understand any advantage to this shape. Maybe visually it is appealing.

Michael, this is incorrect. There's no potential for any surface resistance 'whatsoever' after the proper placement of all of your TRP's - to push your pond water around those narrows and (then) sucking it thru a surface skimmer.[/b]

For certain it is more appealling...And, afterall, isn't that a signficant part of the reason for your having koi? The beauty of them, as well as, their habitat...

We hope to see you two in Atlanta in a few weeks. Toni is going the koi health event in Athens. I will stay home and mind Dexter.

I am going to be at the Florida Show in a couple weeks. However, I am now less certain of getting up to Atlanta. We'll see. Nonetheless, much love to you 'three'...

MCA

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Daihonmei
    Lee,
    I hope you're talking a couple of months (AFKAPS) instead of a couple of weeks?

Lee
    Sansai
    No, I purposely meant...a couple weeks

I've schedule a trip to the Fairchild Gardens in Coral Gables, Florida mid-January.

Gosh, I hope I don't have an incorrect date.

My friend, if there is another koi show in Florida later on in the new year, please tell me when and where...as Florida is reasonably easy for me to get to from the Cayman Islands.

Though Delta recently put on direct flights to Atlanta. And, we are soon to have direct flights to Los Angeles. Imagine, that!

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Daihonmei
    Lee,
    do a search for "AFKAPS". It is the ALL FLORIDA koi and pond show. ALL FLORIDA! All the clubs get together and make it the second best show on the whole east coast...(giving MAKC their due here). It is the 5,6,& 7th of march in Orlando.
    If you are going to one show in FL, AFKAPS is it. Part of the seminar schedule is posted on the AFKAPS website.

Lee,
    It seem's you have all the answers, so why the question in the first place?

Lee
    Sansai
    Drew,

I am far from knowing the answer...

And, I freely admit that I am uncertain of most all of my pond/koi related decisions.

I can only suggest in reply to your query that I didn't know the answer to the question, but I tended to have a belief or feel as the thread continued that I was getting the answer that I had believed was the one I had thought correct.

As with all of us in this hobby (who are honest with themselves and) who tend to be uncertain of what we are doing and my (particularly) having no one to seek those daily routine answers to (as I live here in the middle of the Caribbean) - this board offers me and those like myself, an excellent opportunity to find a sense of comfort from those who responded playing Devils' Advocate to my own insecurities over this rather monumental decision...whilst also coming to a reasonable conclusion on their own (relative to this same subject.)

Drew, I have the same questions eagerly waiting to be asked regarding koi foods, bead filters, bubble bead filters, vortex's and the EA offerings of Nexus' and Answers.

My friend, if we cannot ask for help to those on this board as to their opinon, their help, their advice, then we do a disservice to ourselves and to each other.

However, be assured, I anxiously wanted and needed the response (to my question) from those who graciously took the time to respond. And, I believe that there were many 'lurkers' who also read these replies that were equally educated...

I am so certain, Drew, as a similar thread has also started upon another koi related board that is near identical to this thread. Thus, it proves to me - that this is a weighty question which others (like myself) are also seeking an answer to...

I hope the 'negotiated answers' enlightened your own thinking...too? And, that the various offered conclusions have encouraged you to give thought to this very subect as well. Thus, if it has, whether you accept the result or not, it has, indeed, served a valued purpose.

All the best,

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Daihonmei
    OK Lee,
    that's fine...now did you check out AFKAPS?

Lee
    Sansai
    Dear Luke

Thanks for 'the heads up regarding the AFKAPS" in Orlando, Florida - however, having just surfed the AFKAPS site, it provided only VENDOR information. There wothing whatsoever regarding 'visitors' like myself...

If we're to visit the AFKAPS we'd like to know more...about where to stay, what other events are being planned, etc.etc..

And, yes. If time and opportunity permits the entire Cayman Island KOI Club would be pleased to attend.

Luke, be serious now...do you honestly think that you'll have room for ALL of us at the Holiday Inn?

Lee
    Grand Cayman
    Lee

Lee,
    Thanks for the, detailed, explanation!
    I'm assuming it was in response to my question but as you address it to 'Drew' and my name is Andrew...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast