Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What is the optimum shape of a koi pond?

Lee
    Sansai
    Andrew,

I respectfully apologize for abbrevating your name. It was merely a friendly gesture. If it was too 'friendly' and too informal, it was not so intended.

Andrew, I have a very close friend in Canada whose name is also Andrew and he far prefers being called Drew...than Andrew.

I am sorry if you felt even the slightest offended, as it was certainly not at all intended to be offensive to you...

Should you again choose to call me out of line ~ you are encouraged to call me 'Lee'.

Lee
    Grand Cayman

AFKAPS

Lee: The AFKAPS site will be updated after the holidays as seminar speakers etc are lined up. As for where to stay. The Holiday Inn where the show is being held is better than the usual HI, but still tourist class. It is located toward the older, northern end of International Drive, a tourist-driven zone of hotels, gift shops, fast food restaurants, and tourist attractions (Ripley's Believe It Or Not, and the like). As one heads south on I-Drive, the quality level increases and, as with koi, the prices increase also. Most traveling to AFKAPS stay at the Holiday Inn for convenience (and it is not bad), but with about 100,000 hotel rooms in Orlando, the choices are at all ends of the spectrum. For someone who wants a higher quality hotel, but be reasonably close to the show, I'd suggest they consider The Peabody, located across from the Orlando-Orange County Convention Center. It is on I-Drive, so getting lost is avoided, but it is some distance away. There are shuttle buses running along I-Drive, but they are notoriously inadequate, so a rental car is useful.

As to planned events, the details will be forthcoming. For the koi kichi, there is usually a Friday evening presentation on an interesting subject or by a "name" speaker. With a cash bar at hand, it can be a good time. Plan on Saturday being filled with seminars on all aspects of koikeeping with some watergardening thrown in. There is an awards banquet on Saturday night. Thursday is set up. Friday the show entries come in throughout the day and the vendors are very busy. The higher end koi vendors typically have tanks in the show area so your purchase can be entered in the show. (A good thing to do because the water quality controls are very good in the show area and your new fish will not be exposed to all the netting/splashing etc that occurs around sale tanks.)

Friday morning is the time to pick out your purchases before they are grabbed by others. Enjoy the vendor's wares, check out the fish being entered in the show, renew old acquaintances, take in the Friday night presentation, consume too much and rest up for Saturday's seminars and banquet. Sunday morning, the judges tour the show area explaining their decisions announced at the banquet. By noon, folks are leaving and break down is at 3pm. Last year there was unseasonable rain the entire show, so it broke down early on Sunday and the judges' tour was skipped.

That's an overview of how it has gone in the past. There will be something new or different this year. There always is. The show planners work like crazy to keep interest high. We are not known as a center for great koi, but when you bring together koi from all of Florida, there are a lot of great koi to see, and there always seems to be some incredible ones brought from out of state to inspire us.

If many K-B Board posters & lurkers are coming, perhaps we can create our own get together at a convenient watering hole.

PS, for the non-kichi spouses, kids, grandchildren etc., there are all the attractions, big & small, that make Orlando the #1 tourist destination in the world. They can spend the weekend at Disney & Universal Studios & Sea World. After what they spend, what's a thousand on a fish?

Daihonmei
    dang Mikem gave some good bits of info. Please let me pick through the fish first.
    The AFKAPS site does show some of the seminars and when they will be....the KHV talk is early Saturday and by someone I've never heard about. Good to see someone different.
    Go recheck the site and click on everything, you missed stuff. Plus there IS supposed to be a BS room. One inwhich we can speedmessageboard. For instance your topic on pond shape....we could have done and said everything on this thread in 20 minutes.
    Hopefully alot of KV and other MB posters and lurkers will show up and be willing to banter. The big draw will be that we'll do a little judging before the results are announced and discuss the decisions BEFORE we know what the judges did....now that will be fun.

Lee
    Sansai
    Thanks for the quick response.

Please find out out the specific name of the Holiday Inn and it's phone number; and, whether there is a particular HI code number to make our reservations under, so that those on the this board, all receive the special show rate along with your own membership.

Yes. Keep us all informed, o'k?

In fact, start a thread wherein we can all refer back to as more details come available.

Of course, I am excited. As I and my beter half are eager to attend.

I guess I will need insist that all the Cayman KOI club members be dressed in the same uniform or style so that the half dozen of us, won't be lost in the maddening crowd...of other KOI clubs or sections!

You can imagine, we would hate to be mistaken for those rowdy folks from the Mid-Atlantic or Yorkshire Section, yes?

It is bad enough that at the last Mid-Atlantic, JR was seen wearing 'my' own - graying beard.

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Lee

Daihonmei
    Lee,
    I'll try and type this real sloooow. GO TO THE AFKAPS site. If you are on the right one, you can click on all the different words and it will take you to various pages about AFKAPS.
    OK?

Daihonmei
    Lee,
    if that don't work email me.
    [email protected]
    I'll send you a link.

Lee: go the website & check the list of topics on the left margin. Click "hotel" and all the info you want is there. Toll-free number etc.

Right now it looks like Friday night may be the hit of the show, with JR and judges from Europe and South Africa leading the discussion.

Daihonmei
    The format for the show is set up with Friday being the best "seminar".... They had Brett rowley and Joe Pawlak 2 yrs ago. They should have charged admission. Brett's polished country image and humor, and then mellow deadpan from Joe.
    last year after AFKAPS was over I felt like I could have CLEPT Japanese101, if I was going back to school....

Lee
    Sansai
    Verrrrrry funnnnnny,

Lee
    Grand Cayman

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345