Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting to discuss club options to recent AKCA board actions

Tosai

Meeting to discuss club options to recent AKCA board actions

To All Member Clubs of the AKCA

Please be advised that there will be a meeting to discuss the 2012 AKCA ballot and the recent actions by the AKCA board to remove Mike Frady from office, reject nominations from the floor for Burt Ballou, Dale Gingerich, and Mike Frady, and to block write-in votes on the ballot.

As this is being written indications are that a one sided ballot is in the mail. Please vote no for all candidates.

What: Meeting to discuss club options
    When: Friday, March 9, 2012 at 4pm
    Where: Central Florida Koi Show at the International Palms Resort - Seminar Room - 6515 International Drive - Orlando, Florida

If you are in a leadership role with an AKCA club but can not attend the meeting you may be represented by proxy. More information to follow to be posted here or at the show website: Central Florida Koi Show

MCA
    Thank you Joe. I wish to commend you, Mike, Dale, and the many others that are trying to turn AKCA around. We all need to do our parts at our local clubs. The clubs do indeed need to vote "hell no" for all but Doug.

As I understand the situation, a majority of the AKCA Board has decided that nobody will be allowed to be a candidate for a position unless nominated on the Board-approved slate. I guess it was too upsetting to have something like 80% of clubs vote for Mike Frady over the Board's choice last time. So, to keep things calm and comfy, there just won't be a way to express a different view. How naive. The 'Arab spring' should have taught everyone that stifling opposing views in official channels only leads to more channels where opposing views get heard even more clearly.

It is all very sad. Mr. Putin's version of democracy has triumphed at the AKCA Board. I doubt the folks making these decisions have any idea of how plain awful it looks. They believe they are doing what is best, which just shows how out of touch they have become.

Daihonmei
    well I have no dog in this fight. I'm totally focused on our International membership in ZNA now. But I still support AKCA completely as our national identity.
    I belong to AKCA as a 'private citizen of koi'. I've held some positions in AKCA in the past and have rewritten the bylaws, written for its magazine, taken part in numerous committees, advised on the original set up of the health advisor program, co chaired the science committe, co chaired the KHV drive, help dismantle the excess spending of past officers, advised on investments, wrote/co authored pamphlets, searched for insurance companies with its head officer, was one of its judges, have given talks at seminars, attend ALL of the seminars in the 1990s and into the 2000s. Worked on a committee of three to do the speaker line up for the Baltimore AKCA seminar.Held some official titles and some not so official roles. Have been driven out and then invited back in! have been marginalized and under utilized and also been asked to do work of the most sensitive nature. I have been a club rep and an advisor of AKCA at points in time. So, in short, I KNOW AKCA.

And over that 23 year history with/around and yes, sometimes 'against' AKCA, I never doubted its importance to the hobby- never-- not once.

I've also seen the politics from afar and up close, and a few times, experienced it very personally. I've also seen the three major pushes to turn AKCA on its ear. Two in the 1990s and one in the 2000s. So for a fourth to appear now, is no surprise to me -- it is human nature and the politics of ego and power- something that makes the world go round.
    As I said, I have no dog in this fight and you might convince me that 'this time' its different. You might convince me that motives and desires for 'hope and change' are unique this time out. And that the time is right to strike down those that founded, guided , ran and managed the AKCA for the past three decades.

But I want to caution the current vanguard that is storming the gates with this--
    The running of AKCA is a full time job. And a thankless one. The 'heavy lifting' behind the scenes is massive as any of you who have done volunteer jobs for our national organization know. Hours and hours and lots of personal expense. No vacations, deadlines to meet and lots of folks chewing at your ankles all the time. you will be the 'flavor of the month' until you say "no" to someone and then a new group will form and you will be in the hot seat. I've seen it happen- more than once.
    So IF you all finally do manage to drive out the Californians and take over AKCA and gain the prize, just remember, you are stuck with the running of our national organization for the next 30 years. Not for a few years and then walking away. It is a near life time commitment. And you will be responsible- completely, or alternatively you will be responsible for its destruction and dissolution. Make sure you are up for this reality when you walk through the doors, keys in hand, and own the place. A word to the wise---- "be careful what you wish for, it may come true"

JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    But I want to caution the current vanguard that is storming the gates with this--
    The running of AKCA is a full time job. And a thankless one. The 'heavy lifting' behind the scenes is massive as any of you that have done volunteer jobs for our national organization know. Hours and hours and lots of personal expense. No vacations, deadlines to meet and lots of folks chewing at your ankles all the time. you will be the 'flavor of the month' until you say "no" to someone and then a new group will form and you will be in the hot seat. I've seen it happen- more than once.
    So IF you all finally do manage to drive out the Californians and take over AKCA and gain the prize, just remember, you are stuck with the running of our national organization for the next 30 years. Not for a few years and then walking away. It is a near life time commitment. And you will be responsible- completely, or alternatively you will be responsible for its destruction and dissolution. Make sure you are up for this reality when you walk through the doors, keys in hand, and own the place. A word to the wise---- "be careful what you wish for, it may come true"

JR
    Yes, excellent thoughts. The fact that folks express so much concern is the strongest evidence of how much they care about AKCA being successful in leading the hobby in the U.S. I find it all very unfortunate. There are many whose energies could be harnessed to strengthen AKCA and clubs around the country. Instead, they are excluded. The success of a volunteer organization comes from organizing volunteers, providing coordination and setting goals. When the volunteers are excluded from the process, the organization withers. The strange thing is that there is no "big issue" causing the divisions. It is not a matter of some folks wanting a judging program and others not. Everyone wants a judging program. Everyone wants KoiUSA. Everyone favors educational programs. So what is the problem? ...It seems to be purely a matter of a group that has run AKCA for those 30 years not recognizing that times have changed and refusing to open up the processes to consider new ideas.

Daihonmei
    Ok, as long as you are willing to pick up the slack. JR

This is very disappointing. We developed by-laws in the 90's that covered the elections with Roberts Rules as back up. My recollection is that the rules state that other candidates can be nominated as long as they follow the guidelines within AKCA. (Being a member in good standing, etc.) I know Don posts on this board; wonder if he has an explanation?

An email has begun going out to club presidents and their AKCA reps. Don't know how folks will respond, since most have no idea that the AKCA Board decided to change how things have been done in the past...

"If you have received this email it is because you are listed on one or more internet sites as an AKCA President or AKCA Director Representative. If you are not currently in one of these two positions, please forward this email to the appropriate party.
    At the February AKCA Board meeting, a slate of officers was determined and a ballot mailed out to each club. What you may not be aware of is that alternative candidates that had been submitted by several AKCA clubs were nominated/presented but contrary to the AKCA By-Laws and Roberts Rules of Order were disallowed from the ballot. In addition, a motion was passed by the AKCA Board to disallow write in candidates. While the minutes to this meeting paint a picture of a “hostile takeover” from the majority of the board, this could not be further from the truth. What in effect has been done is the elimination of the democratic procedure as covered in the By-Laws and Roberts Rules of Order. Whether you agree with the slate as presented or not, your club has effectively been denied due process and a voice other than the select few currently in power.
    Because the ballots have already been distributed to each club, we urge you to vote “No” to all candidates on this ballot, again due to the fact that all viable candidates are not included on this ballot. You have the right to choose and this right has been effectively denied to your club.
    In addition, we ask that you support a petition urging the board to correct their error:

Petition:

"Based on the February AKCA Board minutes and the 2012 ballots distributed along with personal accounts from the minority in attendance at the February AKCA Board meeting (Mike Frady and Burt Ballou), the undersigned AKCA club Presidents and Director Representatives (directly or through verified proxy) believe that the 2012 AKCA officer elections as presented are in violation of/or the AKCA By-Laws and/or Roberts Rules of Order. As such we urge the current AKCA board to reconsider the methodology as presented to the clubs so as to include write-in candidates and those nominations from the floor in accordance with the By-Laws and/or Roberts Rules of Order."
    If you agree with this petition, please reply to this email that you agree and with your name, club name and your position within the club (Only Presidents and AKCA Reps since these are the only positions recognized by the AKCA Board and the governing By Laws).
    In addition to this petition, the AKCA Judging committee circulated a similar petition to all of the judges. Although not complete at the time of this writing, there have been 27 supporting votes cast by judges with no dissenting votes to date.
    Remember to VOTE NO to the full slate of officers on the current ballot and please respond promptly to this petition. Restore club rights within the AKCA and make your voice known. Last year Mike Frady was elected to the position of Vice Chair due to the efforts and voices of the clubs. Please send the same message this year."

I recieved the same email Mike.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Ok, as long as you are willing to pick up the slack. JR
    There are people standing in line to "pick up" the slack. But their involvement has been summarily dismissed. Volunteers have been discarded repeatedly in the past few months. So while the points in Jim's two posts are very well stated and valid, the fact that people are stepping up maybe negates the main point of concern. Add in my perception that there is (or maybe now the correct word is was) no concerted effort to drive out all of the Californians, rather just the desire for representation on the akca bod by koi hobbyists from across the country and my vote would be no.

There was a statement by Doug Dahl to the effect that the ballot being sent out is no different than ones sent to him from all of the companies in which he has held stock. This is a case of not telling the whole story. All of the ballots I have received over the last 40 years from companies in which I held or hold stock send out ballots with a selected list of candidates WITH, (necessary to repeat this word) WITH a line item for write-in candidates. That little point is not included in this ballot.

There have issues between three of the boards over the years, KB, KS, and KP. This one item has all three agreeing that something is wrong with the way the akca is being managed.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast