Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Symptoms of Cloudy Eye Bacterial Infection?

Symptoms of Cloudy Eye Bacterial Infection?

A white film covered the right eye last week of the Yamabuki, what are the recommended treatments for this? I had recently bought 'API Melafix' that helps with bacterial infections such as cloudy eye (still waiting for it in mail) will it do?
    Thanks

Daihonmei
    Cloudy eye is usually a bacterial infection although it can also sometimes be from a parasitic infection. Its hard to give treatment advise because infections can be a 'personal problem' of a single fish with a low immune response and stress from shipping etc OR it can be a sign of an environmental problem or a 'sick pond' with health fish in it that are now succumbing to the stress and bacteria count.
    I give you these two different situations as it makes all the difference has to how to approach a cure.

To summerize, before ANY fish gets treated for ANYTHING, a complete history of the fish needs to be collected and a complete batter of tests should be done on the water. In addition, a skin scraping to check on parasites should be done. JR

Fry
    "To summerize, before ANY fish gets treated for ANYTHING, a complete history of the fish needs to be collected and a complete batter of tests should be done on the water. In addition, a skin scraping to check on parasites should be done." JR

It's only November, and I already sympathize with JR's desire to summerize last Feb., also curious JR do you plan to fry this fish, after you batter it (with beer?); or do you mean that smacking it around a bit will clear up the cloudy eye??? maybe turn it into pop-eye?

Sorry was looking up cloudy eye and came across this post. I have no sense of restraint today...

Honoring veterans for their service to our country.
    Thank you, Eric