Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: DOC a bad sign?

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by pondlife View Post
    Now we are singing from the same hymn sheet. Macho koi keeping is superficially attractive and the different technologies can be a bit addictive. As you say though there is no substitute for good water with balanced fish load, pond size and filtration. Thanks for the help.
    my pleasure, and thanks for helping the conversation and the lesson along, JR

Just giving some feedback.

I had all the K1 in all my vortexes removed this weekend.

The vortex where the static K1 and "eazy" container was seemed fairly clean - the i removed the "eazy" type container and found lots and lots of leaves stuck to the bottom of it. The "eazy" is suspended in the vortex and does not stand on the floor but it seems the air coming from below pushed the leaves against the container during cleaning and thats where it stayed.

The vortexes containing the aerated K1 was in the worst state. Even though i have been rinsing it monthly there was a buildup of, of... well of something. The vortexes has a strainer to keep the K1 in the vortexes and it was covered in muck. Then there was also strange 3-4mm high dark red / brown "moss" for a lack of a better word growing in the vortex - something to note is that all of the strange moss stuff was growing below the level where the air comes out.

So i have decided to PP the vortexes with a very strong dose of PP and will then pressure clean it afterwards.

Next week i will be doing the sealed pressure filters and the foam fractionator.

Daihonmei
    why are you doing that? JR

I am cleaning all the filter containers - i have removed the K1 out already. Its still alive. Will be putting the K1 back later today. I am just trying to rid my pond from areas where i have a build up of muck. I have very few fish now in my pond and i feed very little but yet still i have a fairly high nitrate level and it climbs back quickly. Surely cant continue to do a 50% change every week.

Im just trying to make sure there is nothing else that is adding ammonia to the pond unnecessarily.

Daihonmei
    I see. Well just remember that 'less in more' in all aspects of koi pond cleaning. You want to employ techniques that effect the environment of the pond over time and not all at once.
    So water changes done weekly are better than monthly ones even if the water amounts are the same. And daily dumping of sumps are best when feeding like you do. The filters can be flushed weekly. And twice a week when the water is warm. This will not disrupt the nitrification bed operation. You want to avoid shock to the bacteria just as you want that for the fish.
    Your biomedia will slough alot during stress like removal from the system and away from its nutrient source. So not a great idea.

All the plastic media types are great in that they allow detritus to fall away. If you are erating them also, I wouldn't worry too much about trapping. But there is a settlement reality to any biofilm container. So flushing should be all that is needed. In the case of square containers, long containers or linked containers with slow flow, you do need to inspect them and make sure flushing is cleaning out the base and corners.
    Creative types have also put PVC with an L connection and drive water down below the support tray so as to blast out the corners. This can work well but carries with it the danger of sturring up something bad within the slurry bed ( gases). If done regularly, this shouldn't be too much of a likelihood.
    In the end, never allowing ANYTHING to build up in the water like NitrAte and DOCs and physical waste and reduced organic waste, is the secret to fast growing, healthy fish. JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    And daily dumping of sumps are best when feeding like you do. The filters can be flushed weekly.

In the end, never allowing ANYTHING to build up in the water like NitrAte and DOCs and physical waste and reduced organic waste, is the secret to fast growing, healthy fish. JR
    Thanks, JasPR.

I use to change 15% of the water out weekly but apparently that is too long, to much waste is added to the pond in between my maintenance cycles. Leaves are a huge problem in my life and in the ponds life. Decided that i am going to aggressively trim the tree back so that it does not hang over my pond. It took years for me to get it like that and it is pleasing to the eyes but its having a bad affect on my water quality.

I have started doing the dumping of sumps daily last week - honestly never did that before. It was a once a week maintenance plan for the last year. Back when i had a swimming pool sand filter i use to clean twice a week.

If i can keep the nitrate at 25mg/l ill be happy for now but like yesterday it was back to 75mg/l at that is after removing 4 koi and reducing the feedings with more than 50%.

Wayne

Daihonmei
    good! And I'd consider doing either the ORP meter or the TDS meter as a way to monitor your koi numbers and feeding technique ability to deteriorate your water beyond the nitrAte reading alone. Best of luck my friend. JR

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415