Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead Koi

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Hi Needless to say you're grossly over stocked with 30 fish in 2000 gallons of water. In reality you should have no more than 8 to 10 fish in there regardless of their size...about 200 to 250 gallons per fish. I'm surprised that thiis has only happened twice to you.

Bringing them is always a good idea but a 200 gallon tub with some airstones and a net would also be a disaster looking for a place to happen. There are lots of plans on the net for building holding tanks with liners and filters to be able to handle them during the winter months. Even 10 fish of a decent size would need a tank of at least 1000 gallons.

First off though you really need to lower the population...hopefully you won't loose any more as spring gets here
    Thanks Graham-

Mom had even more than that in the pond. But, thank you for your information. I have a feeling I'm going to have to restock my pond this spring. I usually go to Lurvey's to get my Koi. I'll be sure to keep the number down. BTW - when I said 30. Only 3-4 were very large Koi (20" or so) all the others were 4-6". Would that make a difference on the number?

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by bbdrag0n View Post
    Thanks Graham-

Mom had even more than that in the pond. But, thank you for your information. I have a feeling I'm going to have to restock my pond this spring. I usually go to Lurvey's to get my Koi. I'll be sure to keep the number down. BTW - when I said 30. Only 3-4 were very large Koi (20" or so) all the others were 4-6". Would that make a difference on the number?

Hi, Not really...there's no question that 30 4>6'' fish could live in 2000 gallons but they don't stay at 4'' to 6'' for very long. Koi are big fish and get big quick. Those 6'' fish should be 12'' to 14'' after a season. Then everyone gets attached to thier pets and won't give them up when they do grow. So then you end up over stocked and at some point Mother Nature will balance out the stocking level as you've just seen. So you're better off keeping the numbers down from the start.

BTW was the water metered into the pond when it was filled up? Volume Formulas don't work on ponds

Tosai
    Hi, Not really...there's no question that 30 4>6'' fish could live in 2000 gallons but they don't stay at 4'' to 6'' for very long. Koi are big fish and get big quick. Those 6'' fish should be 12'' to 14'' after a season. Then everyone gets attached to thier pets and won't give them up when they do grow. So then you end up over stocked and at some point Mother Nature will balance out the stocking level as you've just seen. So you're better off keeping the numbers down from the start.

BTW was the water metered into the pond when it was filled up? Volume Formulas don't work on ponds
    Graham-

My water is not metered. I have a private well on my property. The water I use for the pond does not go through the softener. But the water does get tested. I'm really just waiting for the ice to melt. I want to get my dead guys out of the pond. I want to take a look at them up close, and snap a few pictures.

Graham-

My water is not metered. I have a private well on my property. The water I use for the pond does not go through the softener. But the water does get tested. I'm really just waiting for the ice to melt. I want to get my dead guys out of the pond. I want to take a look at them up close, and snap a few pictures.
    If you have a well and can spare about 1.5 gal a minute flow 24/7 then you could build a koi pond and have few problems as well as keeping your
    time as well as costs to a minimum.
    Plan on minimum size of 7000 gal with 2 bottom drains.
    Have a trellis type structure so that you can easily cover for the winter.
    Have an insulated underground water pipe running from well which will keep your water temp at a minimum of 44f for the whole winter.
    You will have greatly reduced ammonia nitrate and filtration problems the year around
    Regards
    Eugene

Tategoi
    Graham-

Hi You really should try and get those fish out asap. As they rot they'll mess up water quality and possibly kill more fish.

Considering the State you live in.....Would I be correct in assuming that you have an Aquascapes style pond...why I ask, is that the builders are notourious for over estimating the size of the ponds they build. When you give your pond a spring cleaning meter the water back in so you know exactly what you've got.

G

Tosai
    Hi You really should try and get those fish out asap. As they rot they'll mess up water quality and possibly kill more fish.

Considering the State you live in.....Would I be correct in assuming that you have an Aquascapes style pond...why I ask, is that the builders are notourious for over estimating the size of the ponds they build. When you give your pond a spring cleaning meter the water back in so you know exactly what you've got.

G
    I totally agree. That's why I've been trying to get them out. But, as of yesterday the ice was still covering that side of the pond. With today and tomorrow being in the 40s to 50s the ice should melt.

My pond is sort-of kidney shaped with two waterfalls (mom had it custom built with no container of any kind, It has rocks covering the bottom and sides of the pond, and a stream with a walk over and a bog. It's about 40 feet long and about 20 feet wide. Both end are deep with hiding places for the fish. I'd like to make it a tad bigger and deeper, but funds are a problem. As soon as I save up some $$, (maybe next year), I'll find a reputable company to enlarge it.

Tategoi
    I totally agree. That's why I've been trying to get them out. But, as of yesterday the ice was still covering that side of the pond. With today and tomorrow being in the 40s to 50s the ice should melt.

My pond is sort-of kidney shaped with two waterfalls (mom had it custom built with no container of any kind, It has rocks covering the bottom and sides of the pond, and a stream with a walk over and a bog. It's about 40 feet long and about 20 feet wide. Both end are deep with hiding places for the fish. I'd like to make it a tad bigger and deeper, but funds are a problem. As soon as I save up some $$, (maybe next year), I'll find a reputable company to enlarge it.
    Hmmm are you saying the actual pond is 40' x 20'...the average depth of an Aquascape pond is about 18'' which would give you 40 x 20 x 1.5 = 1200 x 7.48 = 8,976 gallons which in reality would give you somewhere around a 6000 gallon pond.....thats a long shot from the 2000 gallons that you've been talking about and that we've been basing our stocking levels on.

how about some pictures

Tosai

Unhappy

Hmmm are you saying the actual pond is 40' x 20'...the average depth of an Aquascape pond is about 18'' which would give you 40 x 20 x 1.5 = 1200 x 7.48 = 8,976 gallons which in reality would give you somewhere around a 6000 gallon pond.....thats a long shot from the 2000 gallons that you've been talking about and that we've been basing our stocking levels on.

how about some pictures
    Good New! One one dead Koi. Unfortunately, he was my largest. I got him out of the pond this morning. All the ice is gone. Geez!! Was he heavy. If he's still in the bog, I'll snap pics when I get home. The good news is that I saw two of my larger koi's moving in and out of their hiding place this morning. That means, maybe even some of the smaller guys might be there. I'll know for sure when they empty the pond for cleaning. That's when I get a count of my Koi. I'm also waiting to see if my bottom feeder shark is alive. He's an algae eater and lives peacefully with the koi. He stays on the bottom only. I'm only guessing around 2000 gallons. That' what my mom & the pond guys told me. But yes, the pond is about 40' x 20' with deep water on each end. I'll snap some pics when I get home tonight. Not as pretty as when the green comes it, but, it will give you an idea of the size.

Tosai

My Koi Pond Spring 2012

Facebook

My pond has not been started up yet for the Spring.... but there is some show of life in it. Here are some pics I took today after work.

Tategoi
    Well at that size your pond is well over 2000 gallons...meter the water in...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast