Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My water parameters

My water parameters

Hi all

I did a pretty big water change of 50% last night. This is my water paramters at the moment, i understand that it is not the norm of the pond seeing as i did the water change but can someone tell me what is good and what is bad from the water makeup. I understand PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate but the rest i dont have a clue.

Water Temp - 24'C
    PH - 7.5
    GH - 2
    KH - 2
    NH3/NH4 - 0 mg/l
    NO2 - 0 mg /l
    NO3 - 50 mg /l
    PO4 - 2.0 mg/l
    Fe - < 0.1 mg/l
    Cu - 0.mg/l

Will buy a kit for O2 tomorrow, is there any other test people can recommend i get?

Daihonmei
    For the koi they look pretty good! For the environment a little vulnerable to the things we talked about. JR

I have not fed the koi anything since Monday. So friday evening i thought the nitrate level must have come down a bit already, but nah. It was still at 50mg/l. So i did another water change of about 30%-40% last night.

My Nitrate levels are now sitting at 25mg/l. I have bolstered the Gh up to 5 but the Kh is still at 2.

I will be removing 6 koi from the pond tomorrow to bring the stocking level down to 1 koi for every 3200l of water.

Nitrate levels are back at 50mg/l

So, the testing shows that your pond is producing 25ppm every 3 days. That suggests you need to be doing more frequent large water changes, or look into how you might have a continuous trickle of fresh water. Be sure settlement chambers are dumped daily. The gunk in them produces a great deal of nitrogenous waste as it decomposes.

Query: When you reduced the population, did you also reduce the feeding in proportion? ...I have observed that when I reduce the population, the remaining fish eat more.

Hi MikeM thanks for asking.

The kois did not not receive any food from last week Monday till Saturday but yet the nitrate continued to get higher.

I reduced the population on Sunday to 12 kois in 32000l of water and gave them 2 slices of water melon Sunday evening. I used my pressure cleaner to clean the mechanical vortexes and waterfall surface area. Lots of black slimy gunk (looks like jelly) came loose from the waterfall surface.

Monday and yesterday they only got a handful of pellets in the evening. I measured the nitrate yesterday before feeding.

I have switched my feeder back on yesterday evening but reduced the amount of feedings by more than half. They use to get food 10 times a day but very small amounts. They get the same small amount of pellets now but only 4 feedings a day now.

I am still chasing the source that is producing the nitrate. I will be doing a more thorough cleaning of my filters this weekend. Will be removing all the media and clean the media and the containers. I have not removed my aerated K1 out of their bays in 5 years. Only dumped the water - so maybe there is a surprise under all the K1.

At the current stocking rate i should not be having these issues surely.

Wayne

Sansai
    Sorry if you've already said this but have you checked the nitrate level of your source water. If it's 50 then you're not going to get your level down by water changes.

I have checked it yes but have not mentioned it. My nitrate level in my source water is <= 10mg/l. Maybe there is a dead rat or cat or something at the bottom of my K1 filters... who knows.

Sansai
    I'd put my money on there being something horrible, slimy and smelly under your K1. Good luck!

Well its been a few weeks. I have been flushing my chambers daily and cleaning the Bubble Bead every 2nd day. Have managed to keep the NO3 at 25mg/l. I still need to clean my pressure filters but so far i am happy.

NO3= 25mg
    NO2=0,0mg
    PO4=2,0mg
    KH=2
    NH4/NH3=0,0mg
    PH=6,5

On a side note. There was an article in my local area news paper about the water in my area. Apparently there are lots of organics in the water. People have been complaining about the smell and taste. The water contains something called Geosmin and MIB (2-Methyl-iso-Borneol). The council has been trying to clean the water with activated carbon.

How does one measure organics in water?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast